Search for content in message boards

John Henry Coffman

John Henry Coffman

Posted: 21 Jan 2014 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking proof that Abraham Coffman was the son of John Henry Coffman and Esther Bewley. They also had a daughter Elizabeth A. Coffman, she married James Purcell and they lived in Hardin County, Kentucky.

Abraham married Elizabeth Miller, they are buried at East Rudes Creek Cemetery. Henry and Esther are buried at Witt Cemetery.

Abraham Coffman was born in 1763. He died in Hardin County, Kentucky in 1849. His will was dated August 26, 1849 and filled in the Hardin County, Kentucky records. Abraham was married to Margaret Ann Triplett. Margaret died in 1850.

The children of Abraham and Margaret were:

·Mary (Polly) was born on January 27, 1797. Mary (Polly) was married on March 19, 1822 to Joseph Scifres. She died on August 22, 1837.
·Axsa was married on December 26, 1822 to John Miller.
·Richard Harmon was married on August 05, 1823 to Ellender Miller
·Matilda was married on September 18, 1822 to Sanford L. Triplett and 2nd to a Mr. McGovern.
·Aaron was married on May 23, 1830 to Manonine or Marianne Pendleton.
·Moses was married on May 26, 1831 to Nancy Hobbs.
·Lydia was married to a Mr. Clark.
·Lucretia was born in 1818. Lucretia was married on January 27, 1833 to William T. Kendall.
·Eliza Ann (Patsy) was born in 1819. She was married on August 14, 1842 to James Atcher. She died in 1856 and is buried in the Shelton Family Cemetery.
·Alfred Thomas was born in 1823. He was married to Susan Catherine Woodring on April 30, 1844.
·John Henry was born January 1, 1792. He was married to Hester A. Bewley on December 5, 1819. He died on August 5, 1879. Henry and Ester are buried in the Whitt Cemetery in Rineyville, Kentucky, as are Esther’s parents.
·Bethana married to a Mr. Morgan.

John Henry and Ester Bewley Coffman belonged to the Union Baptist church.

Henry Coffman states in his application for a land grant that he served in the war of 1812 under Captain James Cartnills Company @ Fincastle, Botetcourt County, Virginia. Esther was the daughter of Christopher and Nancy Agnes Patterson Bewley.

Henry and Ester had the following children:

·Elizabeth who was born in 1820. Elizabeth was married to James Purcell on November 13, 1844.
·Abraham was born on September 22, 1822. He was married to Elizabeth Miller. He died on September 28, 1880. Elizabeth was a member of the East Rudes Creek Baptist Church. She died at 80 years old on January 21, 1908. They are buried in East Rudes Creek Cemetery in Hardin County, Kentucky.

Other possible children were:
·Henry was born in 1827 in Kentucky. He was married to Sally Sarah Hundley on January 21, 1850.
·David was born in 1830.

Abraham Coffman was named for his grandfather Abraham. He was married to Elizabeth Miller. They are both buried in East Rudes Creek Cemetery in Elizabethtown, Kentucky.

Re: John Henry Coffman

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Coffman
You have posted "John Henry was born January 1, 1792. He was married to Hester A. Bewley on December 5, 1819. He died on August 5, 1879" and show he was the son of Abraham Coffman who was born in 1763. He died in Hardin County, Kentucky in 1849.

How did you determine John Henry Coffman was the son of Abraham? I show the Coffman that married Hester Bewley always went by Henry and Abraham's son "John" was born about 1805, much later than Henry.

During my research on the Coffmans I have found another Coffman in the Hardin/Breckinridge County area that I can not tie in to my line. His name was John Coffman and was mentioned in court cases during 1803-1806, which would have made him at least 20 and born 1783 or before.

Posted: 24 Feb 2014 10:03PM GMT
Henry Coffman lists his name as John Henry Coffman on his application for land and shows he was married to Hester Bewley and the marriage date. Abraham Coffman lists John Henry in his will dated 1849 in Hardin County, KY.

Posted: 26 Feb 2014 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Coffman
I am so confused about this and am trying to sort it out.

I have seen a Henry Coffman's War of 1812 application showing his wife as Hester Bewley. The name only shows as Henry, not John Henry. Is this the same document you mention as application for land? If not, where can I find the document you are referencing?

However, I do have a copy of Abraham Coffman's will and he does not list a son by the name of John Henry Coffman. He has listed a John Coffman as son and a Henry P. Coffman as a grandson (my g-grandfather).

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 11:45PM GMT
John Henry Coffman's name is listed as John Henry Coffman on Fold 3 military records which include copies of all 46 pages of the orginials.

The Hardin County Clerk's office has a copy of Abraham Coffman's will dated 26 August 1849 which states: my children namely Mary Seifers, A ( can't make this out might be Ann) Miller, Richard Harmon Coffman, John Coffman, Matilda Mc Govern, Moses Coffman, and to Margarat Ann Coffman, Henry Pendleton and Abraham Coffman heirs of my son Aaron dec'd his equal share to be devided equallybetween them.

Martha

Posted: 11 Mar 2014 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Miller
I am beginning to see where the confusion is. I was hoping you had documentation I have not seen showing Henry Coffman also went by John Henry Coffman. The Coffman's 1812 War application for land you reference is listed as Henry Coffman and all pages following have his name is listed as Henry Coffman (not John Henry Coffman). I have gone through each page.

Also, I have a copy of Abraham Coffman's will. As you have pointed out above, he does not have a son listed as John Henry Coffman. (FYI, the A. Miller that you could not make out the name was Axsa (Coffman) Miller who was married to John Miller and I believe they died in Illinois.

Please let me know if you do find documents that list his name as John Henry and not Henry.

Gail
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions