Search for content in message boards

WOODY in Franklin Co. Virginia

WOODY in Franklin Co. Virginia

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 1:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for ANY help or information on my GGGG-Grandfather EDWARD WOODY born in 1806(possibly 1810 because of conflicting ages on 1870 & 1880 census records)born in Franklin County Virginia.

Dont know of any children or spouse other than his son William Draper(my GGG-Grandfather). Anyone with any information please respond. Thanks

Re: WOODY in Franklin Co. Virginia

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 12:36AM GMT
Did you check family search?
See these records to see if any help you .
Shelley
https://familysearch.org/search/records/results#count=20&...~

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 12:48AM GMT
Thank you Shelley, but I already have these records I cant seem to find any further information on him ie his wife or any other children besides William.

Thanks again

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 3:17AM GMT
Do you know where and when he died? If so , possibly he left a will? Have you tried googling him to see if he is included on any other family trees? Hope this helps you.
Shelley

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 6:53PM GMT
Hey Shelley

I have tried all the above. As far as when he may have died have not been able to find a death certificate because I dont know the year but im sure his death occured in Va. I am starting to think that his first name was not Edward but maybe his middle name Ancestry and Family Search has his last name mispelled ie.Woody,Woodie, Wooddy, Wood...

I have found this to be the case with other family members as well...these programs are notorious for having wrong dates also which makes your search difficult (wipes brow) I think I have to go to Franklin Co. courts to really get to the bottom. I go to Virginia all the time and my search has been difficult.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:17AM GMT
Have you found him on enough census reports to be able to say which county he lived in for sure? Back then, there was no standardized spelling of anything and people just spelled it anyway they could. My friend has a will on her ggg grandfather and his last name is spelled three different ways in ONE will!! There is one more place you can try. Have you tried writing to the Bassett Historical Center in Bassett, Virgina? They have more material than what they advertise and a lot on people in Franklin County as well as records. You can even call with your request and they put request in order they came in and bill you like 10 cents per page of what they find, and they kind of do like a small donation! They have helped me with Franklin County people on more than one occasion. Give them all the information you have and they research it and mail it to you. Other than that, have you tried contacting the Franklin County Historical Society? The ladies there do research for $20 per hour, I think. One of them may be able to come up with a family group sheet, or family genealogy or a death cert or a burial for you. I have used them too, but if you go to Virginia, you can go the the FCHS and do your own research free and they will help you.

If you have more information on your Woody, you are welcome to write me with it and I will try to help you , but with what you have, it is so little that he is hard to find.
Have you tried tracing documents backwards in time for his direct descendants? Maybe something along the line will give you a clue. Try marriage licenses, wills, birth and death records. You can get free death certs on reels from the library of Virginia if your local library has an intra library exchange program. Just ask your local library.
Meanwhile, if you can tell me anything more, I will be glad to try to help you. Here are some links:

http://www.bassetthistoricalcenter.com/

and my email is: shelleyatsuperpets@sbcglobal.net

http://www.franklincountyvirginiahistoricalsoc.org/

Good luck!
Shelley

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:28AM GMT
Just for the records, to help clarify things, are we looking for a Caucasion or Afro American man? I have seen both. Thanks! Shelley
I will try a few of my other sources as soon as you reply.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 6:38PM GMT
You can also try researching at these two places as well:
http://www.pcgsva.org/

http://www.newrivernotes.com/topical_index.htm

Shelley

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:36PM GMT
Hi Shelley

You have great suggestions...and as you stated I am working with limited information. I am aware of the various spelling back in that day and thats what I was referring about the name. He (Edward) could very well be in the system but under a different spelling of WOODY (WOODDY, WOODIE, WOODEY) all of which I have written down not to mention his first name could have been entered as (ED, EDDIE) all of which I have written down and made note of. However, on the two census records that I do have on him his name was consistant in spelling (EDWARD WOODY).

As I have stated in previous emails I am only aware of the one child (William Draper/Via) because he lived with William and Wms. family. I am sure that there were other children I just have not been able to find or prove such.

I have not been able to find a death record for Edward because I have no idea what year he passed. I have also been unable to find the name of his wife (as he was a widower) on both the 1870 and 1880 census records. As far as where he lived:
Horse Pasture, Henry Co. in 1870
Mayo River, Patrick Co. in 1880

Further I have had the pleasure of going to Bassette Co. Library but was not successful at finding anything. I know for certain that Franklin Co. do not have ANY birth or death records in their courthouse and was recorded is in Richmond. I was scheduled to go down to Franklin Co. today but inclement weather prevented me from doing so. During my many trips to Richmond Va. I too have been unsuccessful there as well because record keeping on people of color was either poor or went unrecorded all together.

I was hoping to locate a death certificate on William Draper (the son) but the year that he died deaths were not being recorded during that time and the same for his (Wm.) birth. Anything pre 1870 has proven diffcult in locating documents. I have been researching my maternal and paternal sides for more than ten years and the further back you attempt to go to the harder it becomes because the information just isnt there. I was going to travel to Utah but after speaking with them they informed me that they do what I do, travel to the various court houses churches etc...to collect information and microfilm.

My next step is to hire someone for help but tahts after I go to all the courthouses. :)

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:42AM GMT
You poor kid, you!Yes, it is hard to find records on people of color back then. I have never worked with slave records before, but have you specifically checked for them wherever you go? Edward may have been a slave at one time OR he may have been a freed man, one never knows! Wm.Draper also.
I am curious how Edward Woody had a son named William Draper! Unless of course, he was a slave and sold to a master named Draper.That is all I could figure out.
How about starting by working backwards with a death cert on William Draper and see what it says. The Bassett Center does have some pre 1912 death information, but if he lived to 1912, to at least age 66 , Virginia did start recording them at that time and there may be one! You seem to know when William died, what year was it? Richmond does charge $12 for one and will do a ten year search for it both ways, forward and backward in time 5 years to find it. If that does not work, then you can try finding Wm.Drapers' kids and their obits to see what those and any death records on them you can get say. I mention this because if you hire a professional, they are at least $50 per hour! That is one chunk of change. You yourself can order a lot of certificates for $50 bucks an hour!
Let me ask you what makes you think Edward had any connection to Franklin County? Can you tell me what the connection is? I see your dilemma and my heart goes out to you. I will try to help you as much as I can. I like the research and volunteer to do this in my county and state. I used to volunteer for RAGOk and now for 3 sites in my state. Why don't you send me your email address and full name? I don't think I even know your name! I will keep it and send anything I find directly to you.That way we don't have to keep corresponding here. Don't know if I will be successful, but am willing to try. Here is my email address:
shelleyatsuperpets@sbcglobal.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions