Search for content in message boards

Coal Mines In Virginia - 1860 - 1919

Coal Mines In Virginia - 1860 - 1919

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 11:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burwell, Tyree, English
I just received a copy of my husband's gg grandfather Stephen Burwell's death record and we were both shocked to see his occupation, other than farmer, as being a laborer in a coal mine. He lived in Franklin County, Viginia and I find him on the 1870, 1880, and 1910 census but cannot find him on the 1900 census with his wife and children in Franklin County. I have been wondering where he was when that census was taken so now I'm wondering if he had gone to one of the other counties in Virginia to work in the mines. Does anyone know which mines were active around 1900? Every time I find the answer to one question about Stephen, 5 more pop up that I can't answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!! Cindy Neely

Re: Coal Mines In Virginia - 1860 - 1919

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:11AM GMT
There is a Stephen Burwell in Halifax County in 1900 here.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MMN4-1QF
He is listed as working in the Tobacco factory.

I don't know if it is the same one, since his age is the same here (44) as it is in 1910. However, looking at various records for your Stephen it appears his birth year was rather "fluid". Do you know the month your Stephen was born? The one if Halifax County was supposedly born in February.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 2:57AM GMT
Hi Cindy & Juan,

This may not be the case with Stephen Burwell, but it is very possible that-like many other Franklin County men-he went to work in the West Virginia mines. I have many examples in my family history wherein the husband would leave the family for work in the mines of McDowell, Mercer, Wyoming & Raleigh counties, in particular. They would return to Franklin County when bad weather would not permit mine work. Somtimes the whole family would temporarily relocate to WV. I have evidence of some Franklin County relatives with children born in both Virginia and West Virginia.

I found the 1900 census for the Burwells in Gills Creek, Franklin County, Va. Emma is listed as Mary E. Burwell, married. Children include Elisa, James & Lewis. Stephen is not listed, and so far I cannot find him elsewhere. The marriage record for Stephen lists his bride as Mary Emma Tyree.

Try using Burrell and Banwell as you continue to search. I'll keep in touch if I find anything else.

Happy Hunting!
(Cousin)Lori Belcher

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 5:56PM GMT
I concur. My grandfather, A.K. Smith was from Floyd County and about the age of 16 (he was born about 1887) went to work in the mines over in West Virginia. He was working there in Stotesbury, which is now pretty much a ghost town.
You may be able to find him in one of those mines over there.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 7:57PM GMT
Thank yall very much for all the help! I did find some of my husband Juan's other relatives on the West Virginia census records, but not Stephen. I have even checked every line and every name of a few of the counties and have not found him yet. I have tried every spelling of his last name that I can think of and even tried his first name spelled as Steven and Steve...still no luck yet. I have also tried looking him up on familysearch.org and nothing there either. But I won't give up...he's out there somewhere and I'll find him. Thank yall again!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions