Search for content in message boards

For Staff: Connection Service Needs Improving

For Staff: Connection Service Needs Improving

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 1:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 1:03PM GMT
Often I use the Connection Service to contact the posters of older posts and never receive a reply. So I am left wondering if that person has ignored my message or has perhaps never received it because they have not updated contact information.

It would be nice to have the system set up to send a confirmation if the post was received, read, or if it bounced. I don't know if something like this would be possible but it sure would be nice.

In any event for those posts that do bounce the account should be disabled to prevent others from wasting time on trying to contact that person.

Thanks to the staff for reading my post.

Re: For Staff: Connection Service Needs Improving

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 4:51PM GMT
This is a user-to-user forum. Occasionally the staff drop by but if you want to contact them you should use the regular feedback mechanism or call them.

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 5:07PM GMT
Contacting staff via email or feedback is a good idea, but this is one of the boards that staff does monitor.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 11:45AM GMT
Viewing the individual's profile will tell you when they last logged in so you can at least see if they are still active on the site and therefore if they would have likely seen your message.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 12:05PM GMT
I appreciate the thoughtful reply. I posted this here because this is a board for Improvements and this, I think, is a needed improvement.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 12:11PM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2012 12:15PM GMT
I appreciate your thoughtful reply. Staff is the admin (click on the board information link) of this board and it is monitored. I posted this here because this is the board for Improvements and the Connection Service is something that needs improving.

No one wants to waste time composing a message only to have go unread because the contact info is no longer any good.

Thanks,

jasche

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 3:52PM GMT
Perhaps. But I imagine there are many people who wouldn't like the idea of the activity of their private messages being so monitored and reported. While it would be good to know if there was a technical glitch and the message never made it to the recipient, how would knowing whether or not it was read be of any use? If it hasn't been read, there is no other way to get in touch with them and let them know there are messages waiting for them - so sending more messages won't help. And if they did read it but chose not to respond, well, that is their right. You can't force them to respond and sending more messages, when you know they don't want to respond, just seems like borderline harassment.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 5:59PM GMT
If you think that email tracking is some kind of evil undercover operation worthy of the Taliban or CIA, you're much mistaken.

Protocols to monitor email delivery has been around for at least 15 years .....

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2298.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1894.txt

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2012 10:50PM GMT
You're reading way too much into my request. In NO WAY do I suggest monitoring private messages. There's no harassment to letting someone know the contact information has bounced. Email clients do this all the time.

It would be nice to know if my post was delivered that way I would know that the person is no longer interested in communication. But my main interest is knowing if the contact information is still good. People die, lose interest, or simply neglect to update contact info.

All I am really suggesting is keeping a person informed if the address BOUNCES. Email clients do this routinely. It's nice to know if the contact information isn't any good.

All staff really has to do is disabled the account. I'm sure you have seen accounts with no link under the user's name? These are disabled accounts. It would be better to not be able to privately contact someone than to waste time sending info and not knowing if it was received.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:50PM GMT
I doubt anyone with has a tree on ancestry wants their account disabled just because they didn't answer a message.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic