Search for content in message boards

ancestors of John Fleming, founder of Fleming, County

ancestors of John Fleming, founder of Fleming, County

Posted: 29 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Dec 2001 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Botts, Andrews

Any information on the parents or grandparents of John Fleming, founder of Fleming County, would be appreciated
by one of his gggg grandchildren. In addition, any information on his son Thomas W. Fleming would also be extremely helpful. Thanks so much.

Re: ancestors of John Fleming, founder of Fleming, County

Posted: 29 Oct 2001 1:34AM GMT
Hi,
I saw your posting, and I am also looking for information on these Flemings, particulary on Colonel John Fleming himself and his family, if there is any. What I have is that he founded this area and passed in 1794. Is this correct? If you go to the most recent new postings under this message board, you will see in detail mine. Please read, and if you can be of help or steer me in the right direction, let me know.

Thanks,

Matt Erb

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 5:12AM GMT

Matt:

I am not the final authority on this, but if you look at articles in Kentucky histories you will find out more about John Fleming of Fleming County. I am only aware of 3 sons he had by his wife Lucy Pettit Donaldson Fleming. I understand she also had 3 sons and perhaps other offspring from her first marriage. The 3 sons I have seen mentioned are the following:
William P. Fleming, John Fleming, and Thomas W. Fleming, the last being my line. If you want more on the Flemings, I suggest checking with local libraries and the Register of the KY Historical Society, July 1951, Vol. 49, #168, which has an extended article on John Fleming and says he died in the spring of 1791 and " He was survived by his widow Lucy Pettit Fleming and by his three sons, William P., (b. 12-15-1782, John(b. 8-19-1785, and Thomas (b. 10/29/1788.)"

Hope that is helpful. If you run across more on his ancestors,
specifically his father, who married Sarah Keith, please relay that. Thank you.

Sally Gearhart

Matt Erb (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 4:27PM GMT
Sally,
Thank you for the leads. Just from what you have written it appears the information in my grandmother's document was correct, but I will follow up on those leads, I really appreciate it.
It is discouraging in the compiled geneaology sites (like FamilySearch.org) to see errors. I know this is why you always need to verify things off these sites, but there is so much accurate information in them that they are still helpful. Have you looked at this tree on the Mormon Site? Much of the information is accurate except for Colonel John Fleming and the the two generations below him. I will likely submit a gedcom to fix this once I have it verified.
I will let you know through this forum any findings I come across.
Matt Erb

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 9:42PM GMT
Matt:

A clarification: What in your grandmother's documents shows the connection to John Fleming of Fleming County, KY? Is it the name John Fleming, son of the founder of the County? If so, are you searching for info on his (John Jr's)
line? I'd love to see anything you have on the ancestors of Col. John. That is the gap I am trying to fill. I have read that his father's name is unknown and that he lived with his grandfather, but that name is also elusive, and although the
grandfather ran a "Watkins Ferry" on the Potomac (supposedly), I can't find where the family originated. You mentioned N. Carolina on the son's birth, but I was of the impression the family was from W. VA. or VA. Please clarify.

Thanks,

Sally

Matt Erb (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 10:33PM GMT
Sally,

I am at work, do not have the information in front of me, but will post tomorrow more of what is included in the document. If it is accurate, it traces the line back some distance. It has a Charles Fleming as Colonel John Fleming's Father, both born in Virginia, and it goes back from there. (I'd have to have it in front of me.) This is correlate with the information on the Mormon Ancestral File Pedigree, and I do believe that the line documented there, from Colonel John Fleming and back, (next in line is Charles Fleming, and wife Sara Keith) is accurate. It goes back some time and surely includes some speculation, but this pedigree matches fairly accurately what is typed in my grandmother's document. You will find that there are MANY submitters to the same pedigree from this point back, but it is the window from Colonel John Fleming down to his son's family that I am trying to verify. Although I'm not working to verify farther back than this yet, I eventually will.
I am looking for the information on both Colonel John Fleming and family as well as his son John's family and whereabouts. Again, if accurate, John (Jr.) would be the actual link to the more precise data I have on my family. Do you have anything on John Jr.s family? I know you said you were descended through his brother Thomas.
I will post pertinent parts of the document tomorrow. I am happy to share a copy of it with you. Please email me directly so I can contact you off this posting.
(mderba1a@yahoo.com) In the meantime check out the ancestral file pedigree at familysearch.org if you have not already, I believe it may help you with tracing back through Charles/Sara and beyond, as this was a very prominent family line. This is the lineage of descendants of Pocahontas (Matoaka) and John Rolfe (their 2nd great granddaughter married a Fleming in this line.)
Matt

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 5:12AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2003 12:58PM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Hurst, Markwell, Heflin
Well then, I'm wondering just who is MY ancestor -- ELIZABETH FLEMING, born 1784 -- between the "boys". She married Landon MARKWELL, whose parents were Wm. French MARKWELL and Mildred Emilia HURST (from Fauquier, VA).

Anyone with any ideas, please let me know.
Holly Heflin Bundy
bundy@cvip.net

Carolyn Ellertson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2003 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: Fleming
Try searching the VAGenWeb.com site. Particularly Henrico and Goochland counties.

Posted: 18 Jul 2009 3:45AM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Colgan
My family are Flemings on my mother's side and I was born in Flemingsburg KY (Fleming County Kentucky)

Unfortunatley, I do not have information about that part of my family, but I'm I very interested in finding out more if you can help.

My greatgrandfather was Walter S. Fleming 1887-1972, his father was James William Fleming 1840 to ?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic