Search for content in message boards

Hanrahan, Ireland>Jersey City, NJ>Philadelphia

Hanrahan, Ireland>Jersey City, NJ>Philadelphia

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hanrahan, Connell, Kelly, Carrig
Looking for Hanrahans from Philadelphia. Michael Hanrahan, b. 1849, Ireland, married Annie Connell, b.1856, Farrihy, Ireland, in Jersey City, NJ in 1878. They had children including John, Jeremiah, Michael, and Nora Ann while living in Jersey City. Either Michael and Annie or one of their sons moved to Philadelphia. Descendants included many boys, including a Donald Hanrahan b. circa 1924.

Re: Hanrahan, Ireland>Jersey City, Judge Joe

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2004 2:50PM GMT
My father had an Uncle Joe Hanrahan from Jersey City. He was a Judge in Hudson County...very important man.
If this is any relation, my Dad may have some information.
Other names linked to my father, Frank Anderson, are:

Kemmet
O'Shea

R. Hanrahan (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2004 10:40PM GMT
I am looking for any Hanrahan's who came from Ireland and settled in Baltimore, MD. My husband's great grandfather was Martin Hanarahan and he married Ellen Scallion(not sure of sp.) who also came from Ireland. Martin came in 1846 and Ellen came in 1848. Have met a brick wall in trying to locate their County in Ireland and the ships on which they sailed.

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 10:48PM GMT
Sorry. I know only of connections with Hoboken and Jersey City, NJ.

Good luck!

Posted: 5 Nov 2004 10:25PM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2005 7:02AM GMT
I apologize for not responding sooner, but I have been away from this research project for some time and I changed my email address. I also have Sheas in my tree. I have some limited knowledge of a Hanrahan law firm in Jersey City, which I assume includes your judge. I don't know if there is a connection. Have you been able to trace your ancestors to a Catholic parish in Jersey City or to a place of origin in Ireland? This will help me to see a connection. The information I have is too extensive to post here, so email me. Also, if you have been in touch with Joan from Long Island, she and I work together on these projects, so she may have already given you much of what I have.

Rosalie Hanrahan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2004 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Scallion, Foy
Do any of the Jersey City Hanrahans have connections in Baltimore, Maryland?

Posted: 5 Nov 2004 10:53PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, O'Shea, Anderson
He is definitely a Judge from Hudson County and lived in either Jersey City or Hoboken. My father was his nephew, born Francis O'Shea (raised Frank Anderson). This Hanrahan actually handled the paperwork for my father's adoption when he was just 4.

Posted: 5 Nov 2004 10:54PM GMT
I am really not sure about that one.

Posted: 6 Nov 2004 12:32AM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2005 7:02AM GMT
No Baltimore ties have appeared so far.

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2004 12:43AM GMT
Do you have dates? I have been dating the Hanrahans to the mid and late 1800s. After that, the records I have indicate that at least some of them went to Philadelphia, or the surnames changed due to marriage. If you have adoption papers, then I would assume you have an address and other information. The adoption throws me, as I know of no adoption in my research. It is always possible that your Hanrahan is descended from a sibling of my Michael Hanrahan, but without more information, I have no way of knowing. Have you checked with the NJ Judiciary or Bar for dates and information on your judge? Email me if you have any dates, addresses, parishes, etc. kebittner@comcast.net.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions