Search for content in message boards

Genelogy sofware recomendations

Genelogy sofware recomendations

Posted: 9 Jan 2012 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2012 4:32PM GMT
With all the problems with FTM I am thinking of switching.

What other genealogy software programs have other used and LIKED?

Re: Switching for FTM

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 6:38AM GMT
I've used The Master Genealogist since the early 1990's and am quite pleased with it.

Re: Switching for FTM

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 3:25PM GMT
I started out using Personal Ancestral File (PAF), switched to FTM2008-2011, then made the switch to Roots Magic.

Depending on what I want to do I switch between PAF and Roots Magic.

I am working with someone else on a one name line, I use PAF because I can use it at work and because the file is much easier to transfer between programs. I also like that I can quickly enter names and data since I can use the keyboard for most everything. Since this study is mostly names and vitals it's much much quicker using PAF.

For my own personal tree, of which I use a lot of different sources and many different facts. I also like the way that Roots Magic creates books and other reports. Roots Magic can also be put on a memory stick and taken with you which is also a nice plus.

Re: Genelogy sofware recomendations

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 11:46AM GMT
Big thanks to all of you. I have used FTM for years and will keep it for this year. But I am going to try some of the free trails.

Posted: 25 Jan 2012 5:39PM GMT
BIG fan of RootsMagic - easy to use, portable, and very response dev team.

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 5:36PM GMT
How does RootsMagic "play" with Ancestry.com? I'm interested to know if it handles downloading or syncing to a tree on Ancestry.com including attached media and source images such as census images. I work primarily on a Mac, but I have PC's in my house and would be more than willing to change my work procedure if I could find a genealogy program that will sync my COMPLETE family tree as it appears on Ancestry.com. I threw money away purchasing FTM for Mac last year.

Thanks!

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 6:30PM GMT
Currently it doesn't play with ancestry.com.

I bought FMT 2012, and I am trying to figure out a process for using it to synch with ancestry.com and still port it all to RootsMagic afterwards.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 11:08PM GMT
When exporting a GEDCOM from FTM2012 or Ancestry.com they both merge the "Description" and "Place" fields for each fact into a single PLAC tag in the GEDCOM. This is a HUGE mess for ANY software that you import to. If you made extensive use of the description field in either Ancestry.com or FTM, be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning up the locations. It also makes it very hard to share your files with others since the GEDCOM will import to their tree (even another FTM tree) with the places a complete mess.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 6:09AM GMT
wikipedia has a good comparison of various genealogy software applications - worth reading.

It's easy to download trial versions of many apps - try 'em and see what you like.

I merged gedcoms from Ancestry & PAF into Family Historian. I like it - a lot. But, yes, tweaking the info took quite a while. I had duplicates from the merge - FH & PAF both have merge functions. I didn't like the references I had received, and reloaded them to create the look that FH encourages.

Good luck!

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 3:01AM GMT
Are you using RootsMagic 6?

I need to purchase new genealogy software and want to get the program best suited to my needs.

I saw on RM's screen shots that you can color code individuals, and that the to do list is color coded.

How adjustable are these colors - how big is the palette?

Can I choose to display both people and the to do list in black text, if I choose?

If you have used the website feature, how do you like it?

Other than exchanging GEDCOMS, what is the most frustrating feature in MG?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions