Search for content in message boards

Merge / Move Records

Merge / Move Records

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 6:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Every so often I find I have the same person listed twice in my Tree. I'd love to be able to open the Tree graph and drage the duplicate person over to the one I want to keep, taking all the underlying records with it.

Re: Merge / Move Records

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 6:28PM GMT
We launched a new feature on friday that will let you merge two duplicate people in your tree. It's not "drag and drop", but if you go to the person profile for one of the duplicates and look under the "More options" link, select "merge with duplicate" and you can select the duplicate person and merge all the data from both.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 7:30PM GMT
Why not just post the link to your blog entry Jen? The blog entry has visuals.

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2012/12/07/member-trees-m...

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:56PM GMT
Tried it. Got this.

Check back soon.
We're sorry but this feature is temporarily unavailable. The problem has been reported and we will work toward resolving the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience at this time. Check back with us shortly.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 12:07AM GMT
If you tried it yesterday there were glitches all over the place from check back soon to others. Hopefully tomorrow things will work better. I would give it another try then.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 12:07AM GMT
The function is working on my end. Try clearing your browser cache, quit and restart the browser, see if that doesn't clear it up.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:03AM GMT
I have been working on computers since the late 1980s. It's Ancestry issue not mine. Every other website I visit didn't have any problems yesterday. I webmaster two websites and administrate three more. It's not me. Perhaps when they decide to open up the site for free to the whole planet they should consider those of us who actually pay for it. I think a discount is in order!

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:37AM GMT
A discount is not going to happen. Read the terms of your Contract with Ancestry.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 6:22PM GMT
Well obviously that's the case. I am not a total moron but thanks for your help anyway.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 4:51AM GMT
I found this new feature by accident to night. I've been busy ever since trying to clean up my file using it. I have hit a block that I am hoping you can reply to. I have found a man on my file that will not merge (it gives me the "come back soon" screen). Also his parents won't merge. All of his siblings merged. It is real frustrating. I have over 50,000 persons on my file, and I know I have lots of duplicates since I cannot use FTM any longer because of the problems with syncing. So I really need this to work. Can you tell me what I need to do to get these records to merge? Just last night I was doing this manually, so I was grateful when I saw this feature today. I just really want it to work all the time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions