Search for content in message boards

CAMPBELL COUNTY HELP! SURNAME: WALKER/CHILDRESS

CAMPBELL COUNTY HELP! SURNAME: WALKER/CHILDRESS

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 5:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WALKER/CHILDRESS
I'm looking for information on FLORENCE WALKER. Her mortuary record lists her parents as WILLIAM WALKER AND MEDORA MORRIS WALKER. MY MAIN INTEREST IS FLORENCE, BUT WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON IMMEDIATE FAMILY. FLORENCE was living in Campbell County 1934-ish and prior.

Also looking for information on ANNIE BELL CHILDRESS. Her parents are listed as CH and Willie M. Childress on her marriage record. Annie is from Campbell County 1923-ish and prior.

BOTH of these woman married my grandfather, JOHN CLINE GWALTNEY. I'm guessing he got tired of each of them and married twice more after that! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: CAMPBELL COUNTY HELP! SURNAME: WALKER/CHILDRESS

Posted: 12 Aug 2012 11:45PM GMT
Madora A. Morris and and William P. Walker were married on 31 December 1874 in Campbell County in Otter River Township at Leesville by R. A. Lee, minister. Madora, daughter of A. G. and Nancy Morris, was age 21 and born and residing in Campbell County. William, son of Joel and U. C. Walker, was age 30, born in Bedford County, residing in Botetourt County, and a farmer. [Marriage License]

I could not find William on the 1880 Census.

The 1900 Census, Otter River, Campbell County, Virginia, listed William Walker (age 51, November 1848, married 26 years, renting house, and invalid), wife Madora Walker (age 48, born July 1851, married 26 years, and mother of 9 children, 8 of whom were living), son Mathiew Walker (age 3 and born May 1897), boarder Lillie Blnkship (age 16, born August 1883, and servant home), boarder Anjne Blnkship (age 13, born June 1886, and house servant), boarder Rufus Blnkship (age 18, born April 1882, and farm laborer), boarder Osca Blnkship (age 30, born April 1870, and farm labor), and boarder Brown Lacey (age 27, born May 1873, and saw mill laborer). All were born in Virginia as were their parents. W. A. Perrow enumerated the census on 23 June 1900. [District 23, p. 16B] Microfilm p. 125B] aat

The estate of William P. Walker, Confederate soldier, pensioner, in account with Eugene Ould, administrator, was dated 23 July 1914 and recorded November 1914. Among items listed were funeral expenses $25 paid on 27 October 1910 and paid to A. B. Blankinship by order of Mrs. Walker, widow, for burial expenses of $20.50 paid on 7 December 1910. [Campbell County, Virginia, Will Book 21, p. 235] aat

Amelia A. Talley, transcriber

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 4:05PM GMT
Thank you very much...that was so kind of you!

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 8:41PM GMT
I found an obituary for an Enis Evans Childress, it lists his parents as C.H. Childress and he has a sister Mrs. J.C. Gwaltney. I have transcribed it below. I hope this helps!

Richmond Times Dispatch Friday June 8, 1928
Enis Evans Childress
Lynchburg, Va, June 7- Enis Evans Childress, 28, died Tuesday night at the Lynchburg Hospital. Mr Childress was born at Gladys, and was a son of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Childress. Mr. Childress is survived by his widow and the following children: Dorothy, Mildred and Ennis Evelyn Childress, and the following brothers and sisters: J.B. Childress, Mrs. J.C. Gwaltney, Miss Ida Childress and Mrs. R.H. Cheatham of Lynchburg; E.H. and C.E. Childress of Gladys; S.O. Childress of Roanoke and Mrs. Marnie Harrison of Raliegh N.C.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 12:06AM GMT
It's a HUGE help! Thank you so much!! Trying very hard to find clues on Annie Bell Childress-Gwaltney! Much appreciated!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions