Search for content in message boards

Robert S Potter of Indiana killed in South Pacific in WWII

Robert S Potter of Indiana killed in South Pacific in WWII

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 3:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2005 4:36AM GMT
Robert S. Potter of Indiana was killed June 17, 1943, while serving in the South Pacific during World War II.

He is officially listed as missing or buried at sea and his name appears on the “Tablets of the Missing” at the Manila American Cemetery in the Philippines. We are seeking information regarding his military and civilian life and especially locate any family members still living so we can send them the free photographs of his grave site and the beautiful memorial in the Philippines.

I am a retired Hoosier from Madison County Indiana residing in the Philippines with my Filipino wife. We are seeking family and military information of nearly a thousand servicemen from Indiana killed in the South Pacific during World War II. There are 17,206 Americans buried here and thousands more that are missing or buried at sea and are honored on the “Tablets of the Missing”. Please visit our website to see the beautiful memorial located in Manila, Philippines.

http://fizkid.tripod.com/

My wife and I visited the cemetery as visitors and left with a mission in our heart. We have been taking photographs of the graves of the Indiana servicemen buried here and have been uniting them (at no charge) with their family members in Indiana and across the United States. To receive the photo of your family member, neighbor or friend all you need is a working email address. We do not send them to regular mailing addresses due to the costs. Please help us find the families of the men that might still be living. Our project is only successful because of teamwork and your contributions are noted on our website. If you wish to help us we will be pleased to add your name to our ACKNOWLEDGMENT page on the website. The obituaries usually did not appear till to three months after the death date.

If you are not a genealogist you can help by just picking up the telephone directory and find someone with the same last name and give them a call. It has worked many times for us.

Zenas5@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

Dave and Apple Dwiggins
San Pablo City, Philippines
Attachments:

Re: Robert S Potter of Indiana killed in South Pacific in WWII

Posted: 21 Aug 2006 1:19AM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2006 9:51AM GMT
Surnames: Potter, Mohamer
Hi Dave,
I believe this man was the son of Lodie and Gladys (Mohamer) Potter and was bon in 1920 in Indiana, probably around DeKalb. He had a brother Gilbert born ca 1910 or 1911 who appears to have died in Indiana in 1976.
I do not have more but perhaps someone else might make the connection now that there is more information.
Donna Potter in Rhode Island, daughter of PFC Edwin C. Potter, Feb 25, 1923-July 24, 2005, China-Burma-India Theater, 493rd Bombardment Squadron;US Army Air Force

(I do not think we are related to Robert but you never know...if you are looking for any other Potters let me know and I will give it a try!)

Posted: 21 Aug 2006 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Potter
Hello Donna, thanks for the information. We have entered it in the file we keep and will start looking using the new clues you have offered. Thanks so much. If we find anything new we will send it your way. This is the only Potter that is on the Indiana list for this region of the war in the Pacific. We will be adding your name to our list of contributing volunteers in a few moments.

Dave

donnajimb1 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2006 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: pOTTER,HURLEY,GROCE(Goss,Grace,Gross), SMITH NORRIS,BAKER,SINOR,GOWIN,WRIGHT, DAVIS,BRAWNER,HUTCHINSON,GATTIS,SMITH,BROWN,BAUGH,NORTHCUTT,BAKER .
I have an Emma Lee Potter born about 1849 in Arkansas died? married a Ben Hurley Born abt 1840 in Alabama ? had children Ella b. abt 1878?, Lula Mae b.abt 1874, Sally, b. abt 1874 died abt 1934-35, Laura b.abt 1872 and my Grandmother (female) Anthony Alice Mae Hurley (Antha) born 11/18/1877 in New Boston Texas-died 1963 Durant,Oklahoma -- have her delayed birth certificate, Ben Hurley age at time of this birth 37 ( 1877-37=1840), Emma Lee Potter, White, Female and age at time of birth 28. (1877-28=1844) not much of what I was told by my Mother Pearl Belle Wright has been found to be exact and even the Death Certificate of my Grandmother Antha is wrong comparing it to her delayed birth certificate---------Do know Children of Antha and John William Wright were Emma, John W. Samuel Henry, Elizabeth (Betty) Lucas Friday,and my Mother Pearl Bell b 2/25/1919 died Oct. 1980 to be correct. If this helps let me know I have done the US Census and have some printouts but do not know if they are the Potter Family. Thanks Donna Jim

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 3:57AM GMT
My dad, Albert Sockrider, was the son of Grace Mochimer Sockrider and Dle Sockrider. His cousin Bob Potter' s mother was Gladis Mochimer. We have a picture of a bunch of Mochimers, there are three different spellings.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: Potter
Please send a working email address so I can send you the photos and information. Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions