Search for content in message boards

BURKE from County Galway

BURKE from County Galway

Posted: 23 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Sep 2001 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: BURKE KEARNS LYONS
Mary BURKE married Patrick KEARNS in County Galway. They had a daughter, Bridget in 1845 and emigrated to USA along with other members of the BURKE family. They settled in Manchester, NH where they had two more children and then went on to Clinton, MA where they lived out their lives.

Bridget BURKE, her sister, was the only member of the family that did not come to USA. She married Michael Lyons in Ireland. Tynagh, Co. Galway. They had a daughter, Mary Ann in 1842 and went to Tasmania, Australia.

I am trying to locate other BURKES that emigrated with Mary and Patrick in 1846 and settled in Manchester, VT. Any connections out there?

Lyons/Burke. Tynagh

Posted: 2 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2002 4:50PM GMT
Researching family name of Lyons in Clontuskert area of Galway. Searching elseswhere for birth details of Great Grandfather, Michael Lyons and Great Great Grandfather Roderick Lyons. Family oral history talks of connection with Joseph Aloysuis Lyons, former prime minister of Australia. His Grandparents were MICHAEL LYONS and BRIDGET BURKE, who came from TYNAGH, and emigrated to Tasmania early 1840's with one child . This ties in with your message in respect of Bridget being sister to Mary Burke who married Patrick Kearns. I would be interested in hearing more of families as this may help me to find out if there is a connection additionally I am in contact with a son of Joseph Aloysuis Lyons who would also be pleased to hear of his family in Tynagh. Any assistance you can give would be appreciated. I will be in Dublin in July so can check parish records.

Hope to hear back from you.

Many thanks.

Heather Baldwin.

Re: Lyons/Burke. Tynagh

S Stevenson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2002 10:42AM GMT
James and Mary Kelly arrived Tas in 1857 They were sponsored by Michael Lyons There was also some link with Breheney family from Tynagh district. Don't have Mary's maiden name. Their chn were Bridget, Thomas and Martin

Re: BURKE from County Galway

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 3:20PM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2006 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Lyons, Burke
I am looking for siblings/parents of the same Michael Lyons.
Bridget Burke and Michael Lyons arrived in Tasmania on 10th January 1843.Michael was born in 1818 and died on 27th June 1900.Bridget was born in 1821.
If this is of any help to anyone I also have a little more on Bridget Burke if anyone is interested.
I would appreciate any information on Michael Lyons prior to his move to Tasmania. Also does anyone know the name of the ship that took them to Tasmania.

Re: Lyons/Burke. Tynagh

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 3:25PM GMT
Surnames: Lyons
I have some information about Michael Lyons but it is only from arriving in Tasmania onwards which I expect you have as it was easy to find on the internet. I have numerous Lyons relatives which I believe are related to Michael but I cannot find anything about Michael prior to Tasmania.
If you think I can give you some information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Veronica Morley (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: LYONS, BURKE, KEARNS
Bridget (BURKE) and husband Michael Lyons arrived in Tasmania aboard the "Royal Soverign". Their daughter, Mary Ann, was born in Ireland just before their departure in 1842. The birth was listed as Shenagolden, Ireland, but a decendant checked the records and could not find her. Bridget and Michael left from Cork. Perhaps they were on their way to Cork from County Galway and she gave birth early. I thought the baptism would be recorded in Cork, but there as been no search for her there that I know of.

Michael LYONS was from Tynagh, County Galway, IR. His wife Bridget (BURKE) was said to be from East Galway. The death certificate of Mary Ann (BURKE) LYONS was recovered, but at that time the names of the parents were not listed on those records. That is a shame because her lineage is not documented.

My Mary (BURKE) KEARNS was born in Ireland in 1822. She is said to be a sister of Bridget. I cannot find her place of birth or the marriage in Ireland, or her parents names which would document their relationship. The death certificate of daughter, Bridget (KEARNS) KELLEY, who lived most of her life in Clinton, MA stated that her parents were from Westport, Co. Mayo. She married Patrick KEARNS in Ireland. Their first child, a daughter, Bridget was born in Ireland in 1845. The family emigrated to North America between 1845 and 1847 where their next child, Thomas, was born in Grafton, NH. I cannot find their passage, but assume they landed in Canada. There are lots of KEARNS in St. John.

Michael LYONS' son, Michael Henry LYONS was the father of Joseph Aloysius LYONS Who became the Prime Minister of Tasmania and then of Australia. Joseph died in 1939. He and his wife, Enid, has 13 children. There is a book of his lineage writen by a woman in Tasmania. Contact Frances Hudson, frances@vision.net.au. She has that information. I forget the author's name - it is Susan ----.

Posted: 18 Sep 2006 2:29PM GMT
I would love your additional information regarding Bridget. Please forward it to me - cmorley1@tampabay.rr.com or post it on this list.

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 4:25PM GMT
This is to report my error on the prior reply regarding Bridget (BURKE) LYONS.

I reported that the death certificate of Mary Ann (LYONS) was recovered. The name should have been Bridget not Mary Ann. Bridget died in 1863 of consumption in Tasmania, AU. The early name of the island was Van Demens Land or VDL. The names of her parents would be useful because there is overlapping information here.

This Bridget married Michael (LYONS) from Tynagh, Co. Galway whose son Michael Henry LYONS married Ellen CARROLL from Athy, Co. Kildare. Ellen's father, John CARROLL followed his brother, Patrick, to America arriving in 1847 to find work to be able to send for his wife, Catharine, and their 8 children. The last letter from him was from Clyde, New York near Rochester in 1849. He was working on an apple farm. He was never heard from again.

Catharine later imigrated to Tasmania with 3 daughters, one of which was Ellen who married Michael Henry LYONS. John's brother Denis CARROLL was their sponsor. He had emigrated to Tasmania several years before, and lived a long and fruitful life.

It seems that Mary (BURKE) KEARNS wife of Patrick does not seem to jibe with the SCHIERECK web site. There are many BURKES that want to align themselves with the AU PM Joseph A. LYONS. My husband's cousin heard the stories from her mother, Laura the grandaughter of Mary (BURKE) KEARNS. The BURKE sisters need more identifiable information to align them with him. The information that I got from Tasmanian sources said that the marriage of Bridget was to Michael not Thomas. There were several LYONS in Tynagh that emigrated to Tasmania.

Paula (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2006 1:02AM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2006 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Burke
I sent you this information just as information. I thought the idea was that we all collaberated with our information that we find and received and then we sift through and find out what is true and what is not. I will not add anything to my tree unless I can confirm it, but I will allways give people any information that I have to enable them to make there own mind up.

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 12:36PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2006 1:53PM GMT
Surnames: Lyons, Burke, Bourke
I have just received from the archives in Tasmania a photo stat copy of the birth certificate of Michael Lyons son of Michael Lyons and Bridget Lyons nee Bourke. Bridget's maiden name on the document is spelt Bourke.Just thought I would let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic