Search for content in message boards

Manhard Cemetery, Leeds County, Elizabethtown Township

Manhard Cemetery, Leeds County, Elizabethtown Township

Leigh Hay-Leblanc (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2006 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Would there be anyone out there who has a transcript of Manhard Cemetery.
According to the OCFA, the Orr Family I am searching for is buried in Manhard.
David Orr, his wife Martha and a number of their children are listed.
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has access to this cemetery transcript.
Please feel free to e-mail me directly at jeanleblanc@sympatico.ca
Many thanks,
Leigh....

Re: Manhard Cemetery, Leeds County, Elizabethtown Township

Posted: 21 Jul 2006 1:12AM GMT
If the information I have located is correct, Manhard's Mills is now Westport. I had planned to take a trip up there to look around this summer - heck, I may even go up on Sunday. I will bring your info with me and let you know what I find. I'll take pictures of what I find. I'll try to find out how to get the details that the cemetary might have on the family. Do you have any dates or the any other names of the children...never mind. I printed them off. I'll do my best to help you out with this.

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Orr, Hough, Wood
Hello Leigh,
I have the Manhard Cemetery publication and was wondering if you have found the info you were looking for. There is a David Orr 1839-1925, Martha McKinley, his wife 1840-1905. No children were listed. There are other Orr names listed but I do not know what relationship they would have to each other.

I am looking for James Orr & George Orr, and another James Orr died Dec 23, 1912, aged 82 yrs, wife Sophia Hough died Dec 9, 1907, aged 68 yrs. There is a James Orr died Jun 27, 1864, aged 57 yrs. Also a George Orr 1881-1938, his wife (unnamed) 1881-1932. There are 4 children listed for James & Sophia Orr. And a Sarah, wife of James Orr, died Mar 29, 1864, aged 57 yrs.

Have you a connection to any of these people? I grew up with a George Orr in Fairfield East, Ontario but have no idea if he is part of this family. It seems logical that he would. I think his mother's name was Lila. I'm not positive, though. I am a descendant of their next door neightbour, Omer & Mabel Wood from Fairfield East, Ont.

Any info on the Orr family would be much appreciated.
Carol H.

Posted: 16 Dec 2007 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: McKinley
Hi Carol

Do you know if Martha McKinley (who married Davied Orr) was connected to the McKinley Family of Adams Rd., Ventnor,Tn of Edwardsburg, Grenville County, Ontario?

Pat R

Posted: 16 Dec 2007 5:13PM GMT
Sorry, Pat, but I do not know if they are related.

Carol

Posted: 16 Dec 2007 6:48PM GMT
Surnames: Orr, McKinley, Walker, McBratney, Hough, Foxton, Hillis, McKinley, Love
Carol,

The David and Martha McKinley Orr family is a relation to me.

David's parents are James Orr (b. abt 1803, County Derry, Ireland) and Sarah Margaret Walker. James Orr is brother to my GGGG grandfather William Orr, b. 25 May 1806, County Derry, Ireland, d. 19 Dec 1860 (family lore says he drowned while walking home from work), Grenville Co.

James and Sarah were married in Ireland had 8 known children (the first 4 born in Ireland):
William Henry m. Margaret Jane McBratney
James m. Sophia Hough
John J. m. Charlotte Foxton
Ann m. Joseph Hillis
David m. Martha McKinley
Jane m. John McKinley (brother to Martha)
Robert m. Mary Ann McKinley (sister to Martha)
Sarah Margaret m. George Love

I would love to know about the Orrs buried and Manhard!

I have quite an extensive collection of Orr information if you're interested. You may contact me at elizabethbowe "at" hotmail.com

Posted: 17 Dec 2007 4:05PM GMT
Good morning,

So far I only have three ‘Orr’ connections and they are all very distant ones. One is George Orr (1879-1938), married to Lena May Smith (1881-1932). Both were born in Fairfield East, Ont. They married 25 Jun 1903 in Brockville, Ont. I don’t have any issues for them. I don’t have George’s parents but Lena’s are Joel Durham Smith & Charlotte McNish. I found the Smith info on the Internet.

Next Orr I have is Margaret Orr. I have no other info on her other than she married George Arthur Manhard (b: 06 Feb 1863) – parents were Solomon Manhard & Mary Wright. I got this info from Marg Hunter’s Heartland website. She has a wealth of info on that site. My family descends from the Manhards, too.

The last Orr is R Hyndman Orr (b: 12 May 1875) married to Elsie May Throop (b: 1 Dec 1881). That is the total info I have on them other than Elsie’s parents who were Joseph Arona Throop and Angeline Manhard.

Does any of this connect for you? I have some Hough’s in my family but none match Sophia Hough. My Hough info is sparse at best.

Other than briefly going to first-grade school with a George Orr and my grandparents having an Orr family as neighbours, I have no connection to any Orr families - that I know of. You never know what will turn up in this genealogy game.

Carol in BC

Posted: 17 Dec 2007 5:04PM GMT
I noticed that in an earlier reply I said I was looking for a James & George Orr. When I replied to your post I only looked in my Family Tree program where I have compiled my main data and now I can not locate where I have found these two Orrs. I am sorry for the confusion. I will let you know if I find them.

I also have a Frances E. McBratney (1855-1884) married to Seaman Manhard. They had a daughter, Margaret (1881-1966), who married Irvine Crippen. This is also from Marg Hunter's Heartland website.

Re: Walker name. I have a Margaret Jane Walker (1855-1911) married to Walter McDougall (1844-1892). They had 3 children: Harris, Ernest, Eunice. I have McDougall roots and acquired my family info from our 'House of McDougall' book.

Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic