Search for content in message boards

Union Hill Cemetery, Mehoopany

Union Hill Cemetery, Mehoopany

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TALADA TALLADAY
Hello,
My name is Scot Lawrence, from Waverly, NY.
I am researching my TALLADAY and TALADA ancestors from the Athens, PA area, and I have discovered that a set of my Great(x3) Grandparents, Augustus Solomon TALADA and his wife, Clarinda MOREY, are buried in this cemetery.

I have googled it extensively, but I cant seem to come up with a location for the cemetery..

could someone please tell me how to find it?
I would like to take a drive down sometime this Spring or Summer..and is it a very large cemetery?
would I have a reasonable chance of finding my ancestor's stone if I didnt know exactly where it was located?

thanks!
Scot Lawrence
scotlawrence at gmail dot com

Re: Union Hill Cemetery, Mehoopany

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Talada / Talladay
Scot,

Union Hill Cemetery is located just outside the little community of Mehoopany. You would come off the Susquehanna River bridge at Mehoopany on SR 87 South off US Route 6 west of Tunkhannock. Once in Mehoopany continue on SR 87S until you come to the first left turn. It will immediately take you over an older style open grate bridge followed by a very sharp curve to the right up the hill. At the top of this hill where the road begins to level off is a cross roads. Scholt's Orchard is located on the left and you will make a left hand turn right there onto Grist Flat Road. This is a dirt road and you will see a business called Tarus Service on your left as you proceed out the dirt road. Now I've not been to the cemetery itself, but my friend tells me there is a church and cemetery just down the road from that Tarus Genetics Barn Complex. If I get additional information I will expand on these directions. But basically it is a beautiful country road and you should have no problem finding the cemetery once you get on Grist Flat Road. You'll find it is God's country out there and you can see into three counties because it is right on top of a hill. Some of the Talada (Talladay) family members continue to reside in this area even today.

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 12:48PM GMT
Scott,

Just be sure to take some gardening shears and a whisk broom with you if you are planning to photo the grave stones. Flat grave stones tend to get buried under the grass and you have to prune all around them. The standing ones often have weeds/grass blocking the dates, etc. Some of these old cemeteries are woefully neglected. Hopefully that's not the case here as you have relatives in the area.

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 1:12PM GMT
Surnames: Rosengrant, Harding, Harris
Are there records online for this Cemetery?

thanks,
Holly

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 1:19PM GMT
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~thstiger/U...

There are records online. I've pasted the url in this message and it should work for you. If not, I suggest you simply put thstiger in your Google search and it will bring you to an entire Wyoming County site that lists many of the local cemeteries. One caution, however, the lists have not been updated since the early 1980's so I know for certain that many more recent interments are not posted. Sadly the individual that maintained this site has passed away.

Posted: 5 Apr 2010 11:42AM GMT
Thanks for the info everyone! :)
much appreciated..

I will take a drive down sometime this summer..

Scot

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions