Search for content in message boards

House of Thomas Gibbons, SR. - Rogersville, TN

House of Thomas Gibbons, SR. - Rogersville, TN

Terry Depp (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2002 5:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GIBBONS
I'm a descendent of Thomas Gibbons, Sr. Today (Sept 9, 2002) my family and I drove to Rogersville to find the historical marker for Thomas Gibbons and the house this is suppose to still be standing. We found both.

I'm wondering if there is someone who can give me a history of the Thomas Gibbons house. Like who has owned it and how it came to be owned by the First Assembly Church.

I will gladly reimburse someone for postage, copying, etc.
Thanks.

Terry

Re: House of Thomas Gibbons, SR. - Rogersville, TN

J Goodwin (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2002 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: Gibbons
Can you tell me where in Rogersville is the house? We are going there in few days and would like to tind it. I, too, am descendant

Re: House of Thomas Gibbons, SR. - Rogersville, TN

Gene Phillips (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 4:24PM GMT
The brother of my gggg-gm built the first stone house in Rogersville in 1789. It is reported to be still standing. I wonder if this is the same house. His name was William Armstrong. I have a copy of his will that mentions a "Brick House", but it was included in some of his property that was to be divided into lots and sold to pay his just debts, the remainder to be divided between his daughters.

Gene

Re: Rebecca GIBBONS

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 5:50PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2003 4:46AM GMT
Surnames: GIBBONS*CROSS*ROGERS*RODGERS
Hi Terry,
By any chance do you have any info on Rebecca GIBBONS who married Edward CROSS.
One of their daughters named Martha Patsy CROSS married
William ROGERS May 03, 1805 in Grainger Co,TN.
Then Martha Patsy left husband William ROGERS and moved to Cumberland Co,KY. Which parts are now known as Clinton Co,KY. Martha Patsy (Cross)ROGERS then moved to Russell Co,KY. I have some info on the CROSS line and I know they lived in Hawkins coming out of VA. But I can't figure out why Martha Patsy married in Grainger County and I can't for the life of me find any ROGERS/RODGERS who connect to William. After they were married they also lived in Tazwell,Claiborne Co,TN.
Thank You,
Theresa

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 9:43PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2005 9:37PM GMT
Theresa,
I may have contacted you before, but do you know the background of this William Rogers? I seek son of Clayton and Betridge Sadler Rogers.
Thanks
Jay Rogers in San Antonio TX

Re: William ROGERS/RODGERS

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 10:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2004 8:54AM GMT
Surnames: ROGERS*RODGERS*CROSS*GIBBONS
Hi Jay,
Sorry, I don't know anything except his name. :(
And that he married Martha Patsy CROSS May 03, 1805 Grainger Co,TN. Martha and the children went to Cumberland and Russell Counties in KY. I have posted everywhere and I can't find out anything except that in Claiborne Co,TN. abt.
1810 - 1850 there were 3 or 4 William ROGERS/RODGERS running around at the same time.

Theresa

Re: William ROGERS/RODGERS

Posted: 26 Sep 2002 3:54PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2005 9:37PM GMT
OK, thanks.

Posted: 28 Sep 2002 8:29PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2004 6:48PM GMT
Is this the Rebecca Gibbons, b. 24 Nov 1765 in Albermarle Parish, Surry County, Virginia d/o Thomas and Nancy Gibbons?

If so, would you please provide the date and place of marriage to Ed Cross?

Also a descendant of Thomas Gibbons, Sr.
Sid

Posted: 28 Sep 2002 9:15PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2004 8:54AM GMT
Surnames: GIBBONS*CROSS*ROGERS*EASTON
Sis,
This is part of what I have...........

Descendants of John GIBBONS

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 GIBBONS He married REBECCA EASTON.

Children of JOHN GIBBONS and REBECCA EASTON are:

2. i. REBECCA2 GIBBONS, b. October 05, 1744, Charles Parish, York Co, Virginia; d. Cumberland Co, Kentucky.

ii. THOMAS GIBBONS.

Generation No. 2

2. REBECCA2 GIBBONS (JOHN1) was born October 05, 1744 in Charles Parish, York Co, Virginia, and died in Cumberland Co, Kentucky. She married (1) EDWARD CROSS Abt. 1765 in Sussex Co, Virginia. He died 1801 in Hawkins Co, Tennessee. She married (2) CAPT. WILLIAM NALL Abt. 1801. He died in Clinton Co, Kentucky.

Notes for EDWARD CROSS:

* Hawkins Co, TN. Deed Book 3

Page 41 Indenture 8 Dec 1801 Robert Cross and Thomas Gibbons, Exrs of Estate of Edward Cross,

Deed, of Hawkins Co, TN, one part, and Andrew Ingram, Junr, of same place, other part, sd executors,

$300 pd, tr in sd county, part of tr on which Joel Gillinwaters formerly lived, beg on bank of Cany Creek,

and adj Marshall Duncombs old line, thence along line to Nose branch, being 40 acres of land.

Wit: James Ingram, Thomas Coldwell, Junr.

More About EDWARD CROSS and REBECCA GIBBONS:

Marriage: Abt. 1765, Sussex Co, Virginia

More About CAPT. NALL and REBECCA GIBBONS:

Marriage: Abt. 1801

Children of REBECCA GIBBONS and EDWARD CROSS are:

3. i. MARTHA PATSY3 CROSS, b. May 09, 1784; d. December 14, 1869, Jamestown,Russell Co, Kentucky.

4. ii. ROBERT CROSS SR., b. Abt. 1767; d. Abt. 1848, Clinton Co, Kentucky.

iii. JOHN CROSS, b. July 15, 1766, Sussex Co, Virginia; d. Bef. 1794.

5. iv. REBECCA CROSS, d. Bef. 1845, Possibly Wayne Co, Kentucky.

v. ELIZABETH CROSS, b. October 30, 1771, Sussex Co, Virginia; m. JAMES GIBBONS, Bet. 1794 - 1801.

Notes for JAMES GIBBONS:

* Rebecca CROSS is his first cousin. They lived on Spring Creek in Cumberland Co, Kentucky.

More About JAMES GIBBONS and ELIZABETH CROSS:

Marriage: Bet. 1794 - 1801

vi. ELIZA DIANE CROSS, b. February 20, 1774, York Co, Virginia; m. ROBERT CARR / KERR.

6. vii. WILLIAM CROSS, b. September 07, 1787; d. September 24, Clinton Co, Kentucky.

viii. MARY " POLLY " CROSS.

ix. NANCY CROSS.

x. GIBBONS CROSS, b. Abt. 1785; m. JENNEY HILL, July 13, 1808, Grainger Co, Tennessee.

Marriage Notes for GIBBONS CROSS and JENNEY HILL:

* Gibbons CROSS to Jenney HILL July 13, 1808

Henry Matlock, BM.

Source: Marriages of Grainger County, Tennessee 1796 - 1837

Compiled by Edythe Rucker Whitley

More About GIBBONS CROSS and JENNEY HILL:

Marriage: July 13, 1808, Grainger Co, Tennessee

Generation No. 3

3. MARTHA PATSY3 CROSS (REBECCA2 GIBBONS, JOHN1) was born May 09, 1784, and died December 14, 1869 in Jamestown,Russell Co, Kentucky. She married WILLIAM ROGERS May 03, 1805 in Grainger Co, Tennessee. He was born Abt. 1776.

More About MARTHA PATSY CROSS:

Burial: Murray Cemetery, Russell Co, Kentucky

Marriage Notes for MARTHA CROSS and WILLIAM ROGERS:

* William RODGERS to Patsy CROSS May 03, 1805

John Nau, BM.

Source: Marriages of Grainger County, Tennessee 1796 - 1837

Compiled by Edythe Rucker Whitley

More About WILLIAM ROGERS and MARTHA CROSS:

Marriage: May 03, 1805, Grainger Co, Tennessee

Children of MARTHA CROSS and WILLIAM ROGERS are:

7. i. HIRAM4 ROGERS, b. Abt. 1806; d. 1835.

ii. MARY " POLLY " ROGERS, d. July 05, 1886; m. JORDAN TWIDWELL, September 11, 1834, Russell Co, Kentucky.

More About JORDAN TWIDWELL and MARY ROGERS:

Marriage: September 11, 1834, Russell Co, Kentucky

iii. WILEY ROGERS, m. ALVIRA KERNS, November 14, 1834, Russell Co, Kentucky; b. Abt. 1812; d. Aft. 1850.

More About WILEY ROGERS and ALVIRA KERNS:

Marriage: November 14, 1834, Russell Co, Kentucky

8. iv. JAMES ROGERS, b. Abt. 1812, TN.; d. July 05, 1886, Russell Co,Kentucky.

9. v. ELIZABETH ROGERS.

10. vi. REBECCA "BECKY" ELIZABETH ROGERS, b. Abt. 1816; d. June 06, 1880.

Sid Fisher (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2002 11:06PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. The Rebecca b. 1765 to whom I had referred, then, is the niece of the Rebecca married Edward Cross.

Just in case you don't have this data, John B. Gibbons b. 22 Nov 1701, in Charles Parish, York County, Virginia d. 1 May1770 in Albermarle Parish, Sussex County, Virginia m. abt 1733 in York County Rebecca Easton who d. 1780 <1786> in Sussex County.

John B. Gibbons s/o Thomas (John) 1666-1706 and Sarah Cairox <Collier) b. 1679.

Thanks for the information on the line. I don't have anything on the Cross descendants but do have some of the line from Rebecca's brother Thomas Gibbons, Sr. if you need that.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic