Search for content in message boards

Cox Landing,W.Va.(History?)

Cox Landing,W.Va.(History?)

Wanda Cox (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2000 7:04PM GMT
I'm trying to find out where this place got it's name from.I have a Grandfather-in-law,Joseph Thomas Cox who was born 7th January 1875 in Cabel Co.,W.Va.I'm wondering if it might have been in this location.He married Mary White,26th December 1913 in Gallia Co.,Ohio.I'd appreciate any information.

COX LANDING

Posted: 15 Aug 2000 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 12:18AM GMT

HELLO WANDA COX,
I DONT'T KNOW OF A COXS LANDING LOCATED IN WEST VIRGINIA,BUT I DO KNOW OF A COX LANDING LOCATED IN SUPPLY NORTH CAROLINA,BRUNSWICK COUNTY.I UNDERSTAND MANY OF MY PEOPLE,THE COXES LIVE IN THAT AREA OR TOWNSHIP CALLED COX LANDING.ARE YOU SURE THERE'S ARE PLACE LOCATED IN WEST VIRGINIA CALLED COX LANDING?,OR COULD IT BE LOCATED IN SUPPLY NORTH CAROLINA NEAR SHALLOTTE TOWNSHIP?IT IS POSSIBLE THAT IT COULD ALSO BE A COX LANDING LOCATED ALSO IN WEST VIRGINA. MY PEOPLE,THE COX FAMILIES ARE FROM BOTH RICHMOND VIRGINA,SUPPLY NORTH CAROLINA,IN BRUNSWICK COUNTY AND ALSO WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA.I HAD AN G UNCLE ALSO NAME JOSEPH THOMAS COX.JOSEPH THOMAS COX OR HIS SON OR PERHAPS BROTHER WAS A REVERENT,REV.JOSEPH THOMAS COX.DO YOU THINK BY CHANCE THE JOSEPH THOMAS COX ON YOUR SIDE COULD BE THE SAME JCCOX ON MY SIDE?BY THE WAY JOSEPH THOMAS COX WAS/IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN.IS/WAS YOUR ALSO? DO HAVE OTHER INFORMATION ON JOSEPH THOMAS COX THAT MIGHT BE BENEFICIAL IN MINE OR YOUR SEARCH? DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION IN REGARDS TO HIS PARENTS AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS.THERE MIGHT BE A LINK.I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IS THERE ALSO A PLACE IN WEST VIRGINIA CALLED COX LANDING.AS I STATED THERE IS A TOWNSHIP IN BRUNSWICK COUNTY[SUPPLY]NORTH CAROLINA.DO YOU KNOW THE NAMES OF OTHER COXES FROM RICHMOND VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA OR OTHER STATES THAT ARE OR MIGHT BE RELATED TO ME AND/OR YOU? CAN YOU EMAIL ME DIRECTLY USING MY EMAIL ADDRESS? jbaker46@aol.com

THANKS

Cox's Landing WV

Posted: 3 Sep 2000 6:05PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2002 4:42PM GMT
I understand that Cox Landing, WV is in Cabell Co. WV. A line of my ancestors were Cox's and the story in our family was that at least two Cox brothers one being Abraham ledt Morgantown WV area around the 1820-30 on a raft bound for Ohio and stopped to hunt at this spt where they were attacked. They had with them several black free men who were killed there and also killed were one of the Cox men. The rest traveled on the OHio, settled first in either Harrison or Monroe Counties and eventually Abraham settled and reared his family in Marion CO. OH. That is the family oral history .

Cox's Landing W.Va.

Wanda Cox (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2000 10:03PM GMT
Now this is interesting because I'm a Cox and married a Cox.Thinking this place was perhaps named after my husbands side of the family.But the Abraham Cox comes from my side.Abraham Cox Sr. married Nancy Mitchell in Monroe Co.,Va.(which is now W.Va.)27thNov.1817.But it could be a different one too.Because most of mine are here or around Gallia Co.,Ohio almost straight across the river from Cox Landing,matter of fact below the LocksDam in Ohio Township.I feel theres a connection somewhere between both my husbands my family.It's real distant.But my gut feeling is a Cox is a Cox.Some just may think their better than their relatives and separate,to start anew.My husbands Dad,Willard and GrandDad Joesph were born near there to in Cabel Co. So looks like my work is cut out for me.A big puzzle to put together.I sure appreciate your e-mail and info.I was about to give up.But this is a start for me.I'd love hearing any other family history about Cox's.Thanks Again.Wanda Cox

Cox Landing

Posted: 4 Sep 2000 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2002 4:42PM GMT
Wanda,
There seems to be some connection somewhere doesn't therebetween our Cox families. This line is difficult to study. I did find a cousin in MOrrow Co. whose Mother spent a lifetime on genalogy, mostly studying the cox family. If I find any connections from that data I would be willing to share. It will be a few weeks. You can e-mail me direct at ssredick@aol.com
Sharon Redick

Re: Cox Landing,W.Va.(History?)

Posted: 8 Jun 2002 3:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Oct 2002 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: Cox, Kyle & Woodward
I just found this site this morning. Perhaps it will help you.
I too am looking for history of Cox Landing and investigating the Cox family history. My gggrandparents were both born at Cox's Landing, WV. and are my brickwall.
Sarah Kyle & Arnor Woodward.

EARLY HISTORY OF LITTLE SEVEN MILE COMMUNITY
Prepared by Mrs. John Kyle
<http://www.wvculture.org/history/agrext/little7.html>;

Re: Cox Landing

Penny (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2004 6:45AM GMT
I would be interested in knowing if you have an Abraham or Foster who married Jemima Foster. Their son Levi was born in Maryland in 1797, he married Ann Hart in 1817. Levi and Ann had a son David born 1818. Any information would be appreciated

Re: Cox Landing

Posted: 3 Feb 2004 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Cox
To my knowledge there is not a Foster, Ann Hart nor Levi in my Cox line. Good luck on your search.

Re: Cox's Landing WV

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 6:26AM GMT
Surnames: mitchell
Hello my name is Mitchell Rinehart. I am a direct line of the cox family. My grandmother was Gladus Cox before she married Walter Rinehart. Here in Marion County Ohio. My father Wayne F Rinehart has an entire history of the Cox line back. There are multiple Cox barried in the Iberia cemetary. You can also chenk into the Roseville pottery plant in southern Ohio as they were started and ran by the Cox family. Untill her death in the mid 2000 My grandmother Gladus recived Pottery every year as a gift from her family there. Just a tid bit to help you along your way. :-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic