Search for content in message boards

Stuck and need help

Stuck and need help

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gavin / Makin
I have my grandmothers birth cert (1916) giving her fathers name as Daniel Makin - Railway labourer.
I also have her marriage certificate naming her father as William Henry Makin -master tailor. I have her mother's marriage certificate -spouse- Frederick Makin - carter.
I then have my GG grandmothers death cert saying widow - William Makin - News vendor and a death cert for
William Henry Gavin at the same address as Great great grandmother!
My gran says her dads name was Daniel Gavin and he was a tailor! I am completely stuck as I can't go back further with the name muddle.

Re: Stuck and need help

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 12:53PM GMT
I have this same problem with a few members of my family who just seemed to pick and choose names. But that is a lot of different names and very varying occupations. Is it possible that he was in trouble and needed to change his identity quite frequently? My relative changed his name and age to suit but always gave the same place of birth! Were they married before 1911? If so have you looked them up on the 1911 census and seen where he was born? That might help you trace any births of Makins or Gavins in that area which might correpsond.

Re: Stuck and need help

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 1:12PM GMT
My gran said her father was Irish from Dublin.
I suspect that her mother was married to Frederick (1909) but that the marriage didn't continue and instead she lived with Daniel Gavin as man and wife.
My gran did say she was known as Mary Gavin and the when something happened at school and she had to produce her birth certificate she and her mother had to change their names to Makin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic