Search for content in message boards

Deed Laws

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a question I hope someone can answer. Is there a law or rule for an age someone must be before they can recieve a gift of deed? I have two instances in the early 19th century, where it appears two boys, age 8 and 13, recieved livestock as a gift from their mother and her husband.
Or it could be the boys' fathers, but I cannot find anyother record of them before this. It is driving me crazy!
To make it clear, I am trying to find out who their parents are.
I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Re: Deed Laws

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:32PM GMT
In clarification, the deeds did not state the ages of the people in the records. I just figured they had to be 8 and 13 at the time from other records I found.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 10:46PM GMT
Is there a probate record that may have prompted the deed? If there is, perhaps there will be a page in the record that lists heirs (the two boys) and their relationship to the subject(s) of the estate. And, there may be a will in the probate record as well that might mention the boys. Even if the mother and her husband died much later, a probate record could still offer clues if the boys were still alive.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 12:37AM GMT
I found a will for the father in 1828. Then it appears the mother remarried abt 1831. In 1835 and in 1838, there are 2 gift deeds to her sons (one specifically says "our son"). But the children would have only been abt 8 & 13 in 1835. So I was wondering if maybe I missed a generation, But I have researched thoroughly and do not see how I could have.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if there were any specific laws/rules to age requirements and gifting deeds.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 1:28AM GMT
Here's a link to a page discussing your question.
http://www.genfiles.com/legal/legalage.htm

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 5:56AM GMT
Thank you very much for the link.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic