Search for content in message boards

Mobile-friendly search pages being rolled out

Mobile-friendly search pages being rolled out

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed that we've begun rolling out a more "mobile-friendly" layout for our search pages. The pages are being made "smart". That is, if the browser window is smaller than the full size screen for which the site is designed, we will adjust the layout of the page so it is easier to read and use.

We rolled out the first few pages this week including the search page (search.ancestry.com, the category pages (e.g., Census & Voter Lists), and the search results pages.

We will be updating the other major pages, such as the record page, single database search pages (e.g., 1940 Census) as part of a future release.

If you want to see what the different layouts look like, you can resize your browser window and see how the page changes based on the size of the window. Just rememeber not all pages support this functionality.

John

Re: Mobile-friendly search pages being rolled out

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 9:03PM GMT
The home page is exhibiting this behavior on my Android Tablet and HTC phone.

HOWEVER, it drops the Message Board Favorite "My Favorites" selection box and only shows the top most message board.
This is NOT an ENHANCEMENT for me.

Some devices are able to display the full desktop page and Ancestry.com should let us decide which we wish to see. So far I have not been unable to override this new behavior.

PLEASE LET US PICK WHITHER TO USE THESE NEW PAGES OR NOT!

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 9:13PM GMT
Edited: 20 Dec 2012 9:14PM GMT
Thanks for your feedback. You are correct that other pages are being changed as well. I will share your feedback with those teams. Any thoughts on how the search pages are working for you?

Thanks,

John

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 4:06AM GMT
John, it is screwing around with my computer. I wish y'all would just QUIT messing around with things. My census images are ALL SCREWED UP. I don't know what y'all did but it has really made a mess for those of us who use our computers and not the fancy mobile options. Just tell me how to fix it PLEASE.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 4:09AM GMT
I want to reiterate the post by ginglish1. Let us decide if we want to use these crazy new pages. I don't. I don't use MOBILE DEVICES and don't see why those of us who don't have to put up with this mess. We are not ALL on a craze to use mobile devices. Why don't you put up pages strictly for those that do and leave the rest of us old folks alone.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 4:18AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2012 4:19AM GMT
Just think of this as an early "Merry Christmas" gift from Ancestry.

I wonder if everyone will be off for 2 weeks?

PS .... Everything looks fine to me.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 5:14AM GMT
Sorry, MaryBeth ... you can't blame Ancestry for this. Read the OP again - it does not say anything about census images.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 5:28AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2012 5:32AM GMT
Yes, I said census images first because that is where I noticed it first but now I see that this has changed everything. Pages are smaller to accomodate that big blue border around everything. Do the majority of users now use mobile devices now or do we have to accomodate just a few when the majority of users do not use mobile devices. I know lots of my family members who use mobile devices but not a one of them has an Ancestry subscription or a member page.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 5:36AM GMT
Sorry, MaryBeth ... there is no "big blue border" here in the real world.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 7:01AM GMT
Well there is in mine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions