REUBEN COVERT - Presidents, Soldiers & Statesmen - Vol II - Steuben Edition

REUBEN COVERT - Presidents, Soldiers & Statesmen - Vol II - Steuben Edition

Posted: 24 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: COVERT, LUCE, KING, CLARK
PRESIDENTS, SOLDIERS, STATESMEN
Volume II - Steuben Co., NY edition
H.H. Hardesty, Publishers, New York, Toledo and Chicago (1896)

Contributed by:
Steuben Co., NY Historian's office - Richard Sherer - Steuben Co., NY Historian, Bath, NY

Pg. 1203

REUBEN COVERT,

A native of Greenwood, Steuben Co., N.Y., was born June 9, 1843, and was a son of Smith and Mehitable (LUCE) COVERT, both of whom have long since passed. Nov. 12, 1864 at Greenwood, Erselia KING became his wife and the result of this union is five children born in the order named: Norman G., Dever, Mary C., Alice M. and A.J. His wife was born in Greenwood, N.Y., June 2, 1846; her parents long since passed away, were A.J. and Aurelia (CLARK) KING. COMRADE COVERT was but 17 years old when the late Civil strife began and was engaged in farming. May 28, 1861, he was enrolled from Scio, N.Y., as a private in Co. C, 67th N.Y.V.I., which was assigned to 1st Brig., 3d Div., 6th A.C. He took part with his Regt. in several of the most important and hard-fought battles of the late war, including Williamsport, Fair Oaks, Savage Station, Malvern Hill, 2d Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Hagerstown, Antietam, South MT., Sharpsburg, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cedar Grove, North Anna River, Petersburg, Chancellorsville and numerous minor engagements, receiving a final horable discharge July 4, 1864, at Brooklyn, N.Y. His grandfather, David LUCE, served in the War of 1812; he had three brothers in service, John and David in 53d Pa. V.I. and Theodore in 4th NY.H.A. John was killed at the battle of Weldon R.R. His wife's uncles, Charles and Edgar, were also soldiers. Comrade COVERT has been constable three years, he is Sergt. of Guard of W.C. White Post, 561, is unable to work and he may be addressed at Greenwood, N.Y.

Re: REUBEN COVERT - Presidents, Soldiers & Statesmen - Vol II - Steuben Edition

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 8:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: covert, luce
I am seeking more information on Smith Covert and Mehitable Luce. They are my ggggrandparents. If anyone has any information on them I would be very greatful! I have not had much luck. I have that Mehitable was born about 1808 and Smith about 1804.

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 5:40PM GMT
Do you know who Smith Coverts parents or siblings are?

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 5:40PM GMT
Do you know who Smith Coverts parents or siblings are?

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 7:31PM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2008 8:21PM GMT
Surnames: covert
Unfortunatly no. The best information I have is from the 1860 census that shows Smith and Mehitable Covert lived in Greenwood, Steuben NY with their children Ruben (17), Theodore (13), Alice (11), and Elias (7). Their son David (22) looks like lived next door. I am a desendent of Theodore.

Do you have any information that could help me?

Thank you!

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 8:04PM GMT
I a desendent Daniel Covert from Troupsburg NY whos father was Daniel born somewhere in NY but I am unsure of his parents, I was hoping there may be a connection, I am sorry. If I come up with anything I will let you know.

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 8:04PM GMT
I a desendent Daniel Covert from Troupsburg NY whos father was Daniel born somewhere in NY but I am unsure of his parents, I was hoping there may be a connection, I am sorry. If I come up with anything I will let you know.

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: covert
Good luck. I checked my file and I don't have anything on a Daniel. There seems to be a lot of Covert's in New York but unfortunatly they don't seem to be related, or at least not easily. I am having the worst time with my Covert's and I do not live in New York to use those resources. Plus New York seems to have the worst records. If I run across anything that looks like it might help you I'll let you know.

Thank you,
Wendy

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 6:58PM GMT
I am looking for information on smith covert. The sith covert I refer to was born in 1822 in new york, died in 1888 in ovilet south dakota. He was married to Ella Marie crowder in 1877 either in michigan ro south dakota. He was my great grandfather

Posted: 2 Oct 2009 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: Luce
Mehetable Luce, Reuben's mother,was a sister to my 3rd great grandfather, Eleazer Luce, who moved to Michigan in 1868. I have a photo of him if you'd like a copy. I have interesting info on his father and further generations back on the Luce line if you'd like it.
Bill Williams
per page

Find a board about a specific topic