Search for content in message boards

Knox of Fermanagh - Rev John Knox and daughter Mary Knox (c.1700)

Knox of Fermanagh - Rev John Knox and daughter Mary Knox (c.1700)

Posted: 4 Mar 2010 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knox
Searching for any information on a Mary Knox.
Her father, Rev John Knox, was the Rector of Donagh (Diocese of Clogher) in 1720. This Mary is believed to have married the curate Francis Shudall. They moved to Monaghan and then to Wexford.

Re: Knox of Fermanagh - Rev John Knox and daughter Mary Knox (c.1700)

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 4:17PM GMT
I don't have a direct link, but perhaps a possible family connection for you. My great, great grandfather William Henderson married a Mary Jane Knox in and around 1840. They had a daughter together, Sarah Jane (b.1841). They emmigrated to Canada in 1848, but unfortunately Mary did not survive the voyage.

Little is known from our family records of Mary. William was born in 1813 in Co. Fermanagh and supposedly lived in Enniskillen with his brothers Mathew and John (they all made the trip together). I have been trying to research more about William and/or Mary Jane, but have not had much luck. Hope this helps.

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 11:14PM GMT
Hard to be sure of a connection but of course your William may have been my Mary's nephew or something.
Thanks,
Eileen

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 1:20PM GMT
Hi Eileen,

The only connection I can make is that with the carry over of similar given names within families at the time, the Mary I was refering to might have been Rev. John Knox's granddaughter (if he had a son??). My William is a Henderson, not a Knox.

I've hit a rather substantial bump in my own research. Would you be able to tell me what denomination John was a reverend of? I have reason to believe that the Mary I am connected with *may* have been Methodist.

~ Dave

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Knox Shudall
Nothing for sure but later generations were Church of Ireland so I presume Francis was too. Much later some generations in Wexford changed to Catholic.

The LDS hold a film called "Knox : genealogical table, 1505-1947" which might be worth getting hold of, but I won't have time to do this for a long time.

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 12:45PM GMT
Mary Jane Knox is a very stubby branch in our family tree. The only question she might answer is why my g.g.grandfather became methodist when the rest of his family was Ch.of Ireland? Thank you for your help and comments.

~ Dave

Posted: 15 May 2010 10:10AM GMT
I'm searching for info on the children of John Knox (b Fermanagh), son of William Knox (a Farmer) who married Elizabeth Warren in 1870. At the time of their marriage John's occ. is shown as Sub Constable RIC. This couple had several children - two being William b 1871 and Jane 1874, both born in Co Clare. There may have been an earlier son. It appears Elizabeth died young and John re-married.
I'd dearly love to know what became of these children?
Does any of this ring bells.

Cheers

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Shudall Knox Shudell
This is a very early date for Shudall. I do not have any information to offer regarding Mary Knox But I could very well be a decendent of Francis. My father is a Francis Shudell. His father was Charles Shudell and His father was Francis Shudall who was fron Duncormick County Wexford. If I can offer any information I would be happy to do so.

Re: Francis Shudall & Charles Shudall line from Duncormick

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 5:51AM GMT
Surnames: Shudall Shudell
Hello Caislean98,

It's very exciting to hear from any Shudall/Shudell from the Co. Wexford line as there are not many of them. Where do you live?

I have a database of over 500 Irish Shudells but it is hard to pin down where you fit in as only one Wexford line carried the Francis name into the 1800s (although a few lines carried the Charles name. If you are about 70 (???) then your great grandfather might have been born around 1850 in which case I don't have a record of him. Can you give me a bit more information so I can see if I can place your line? Then perhaps tie you to the lines we have going back to 1630. Or perhaps you could contact me via email?

Eileen

Re: Francis Shudall & Charles Shudall line from Duncormick

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Shudall Shudell
I've just realised your Francis may have been the man who went to America in 1905?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic