Search for content in message boards

U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970

U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SAR
I had not searched this database in quite some time. Previously, I was able to view all of the pages of applications, and much of the genealogy contained within the applications was very helpful. I noticed that now, I can only view the first page of an application, and there is no option to flip through the pages. Is this by design, and does anyone know when the change took place?

Re: U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 5:52PM GMT
I don't know the answer to your question but am interested in any reply that you receive. My real motive though is to ask if you know why there are SAR applications for men who died prior to 1776? Do they allow applications for any man who served in the militia or colonial armies even though they died prior to the actual war?

Your post leads me to believe that you have researched the SAR extensively and I thought perhaps you would know the answer and be so kind as to share it with me. Thank you.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 9:17PM GMT
Actually, your reply prompted me to check the database again. I can now flip through all of the pages of the applications, just as before.

I also don't know the answer to your question. I could speculate that it is the search engine pulling up names that are contained within the application, as I have seen this before. Maybe you could find an answer to your question on the SAR website: www.sar.org.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 12:18PM GMT
Some who died in 1775 were legitimate American Revolution patriots.

On the other hand, many SAR applications give names and vital dates for persons they believed were parents of the Patriots. These parental statements are not analyzed or approved in any way by SAR, and should not be interpreted as meaning that persons who died before the War commenced were somehow patriots.

The specific service of the Patriot, that's given in the application, will show the date(s) of patriot service and who exactly was considered to be the patriot.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions