Search for content in message boards

Best program to sync ancestry.com info with...

Best program to sync ancestry.com info with...

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 4:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
I started building my tree, and have a lot done. But not sure what program to purchase to sync the info with from ancestry.com that would be the easiest. Any suggestions?
Thanks....

Re: Best program to sync ancestry.com info with...

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 7:47AM GMT
There is only one company that provides software that actually syncs with info from Ancestry.com and that is Ancestry.com and their Family Tree Maker Program.

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 8:12PM GMT
Thank You! I'm new to all this and want it to be easy. But what program would you suggest outside of that, that is the best?

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:46PM GMT
The best software differs from one person to another. If you must have a software that will sync with Ancestry.com you will have to use Family Tree Maker. There are good and bad things with any software.

I would suggest staying with one that has a regular history of updates and is well supported. I wouldn't want the software to go away in the foreseeable future, as it is painful to switch. You essentially marry the software you decide on.

You can try Legacy or Roots Magic via trials, they are both very good. Family Tree Maker does not have a trial. There are two programs for people who don't mind complex software and want the most power possible: GRAMPS and The Master Genealogist. GRAMPS is free and is regularly supported. TMG has a trial and has great support. These last two can be overwhelming if you are not a computer person.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 3:39AM GMT
Thank you, I appreciate the advice..... :-)

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 6:59AM GMT
IMO, GRAMPS is easier and more intuitive to work with than TMG, which has a very long learning curve. Family Historian and myHeritage are also two pretty good programs, FH has and 30 day trial and myHeritage has a free version. myHeritage also syncs with a free website you can administer, if I recall. I have the paid version so I cannot remember how the free version works. I guess I am a software junky and like to play around with several of the softwares.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2012 7:10PM GMT
I really liked GRAMPS, but I left them when they decided to make a mobile interface and chose MeeGo. I am pretty sure they have abandoned that one. Now, they are working on porting it to a web based software. I wouldn't want to rely on a mobile interface that requires an internet connection. I realized that the future of the software is highly uncertain with their current direction.

After learning GRAMPS, I found TMG to be pretty easy to get used to, but I can see what you mean. Personally, I have since switched to FTM, and I have settled on that.

I guess we are similar in that regard, we both like to play with software.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:51PM GMT
I have a related question and what might be a dumb question. I just completed the free 14 day trial and found a lot of info. Before I pay for any subscriptions, my question is what does any software do for you that you can't do via the web based tree Ancestry let's you have for free? Still very new to this so go easy on me. :)

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 10:02PM GMT
It allows much more control over input, export, running of various reports not offered by the online trees, entering data, editing data, and in general a more complete research tool.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:38PM GMT
Thank you for that reply. I was thinking that it was something along those lines. Now to find the best price for it. Can't wait to get started.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions