Search for content in message boards

Mt. Vernon Davis's

Mt. Vernon Davis's

Posted: 29 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2006 5:20AM GMT
Surnames: Davis
My mother was born in Mt Vernon in 1916. Her maiden name was Kathryn A. Davis. Her father's name was Leroy Davis, and he supposedly had four siblings. I've been searching for my great grandparents, and I have no information on them. Does anyone know of these Davis's? All I have is Roger Davis, Carl Davis, Ross Davis, Junie Davis, and Roy Davis (grandfather). I need the information to balance my family tree. Thanks.

Re: Mt. Vernon Davis's

P.J. (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2004 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Have you tried Miles Leroy Davis? burial in Providence Cem. I think. See History of Purley on usgenweb, Franklin Co. site www.mt-vernon.com/~skelly

Posted: 26 Apr 2004 7:46AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2006 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Cannaday, Jordan
Thanks for your response to my query.

Miles Leroy Davis was a brother to my g-grandfather, Jeff Davis ( Elbert Jeff Davis). Since I made my query, I have obtained the book on this family, "The House of Davis, Descendants of Nixon and Mary Jane Davis". It has answered most of my questions except the identity of Nixon's parents. I've been suspicious that Matthew Cannaday was related to Nixon as he raised Nixon during his teen years. I also think that Caleb Jordan might have been a cousin (or other relative). Nixon and Caleb were close, migrating to Texas from Tennessee and fighting together in the Civil War. Caleb lived in Nixon's household in Tennessee (as I recall) as a laborer.

Thanks for referring me to the website. It's full of information.

Judy

Posted: 26 Apr 2004 10:53PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2006 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Canaday, Cannaday
P.J.,

For the sake of accuracy, Matthew Cannaday was not the man who raised Nixon when he was a teenager, but his brother (as he supposedly had a brother named Matthew), Jarmon Canaday, raised Nixon.

I've had a theory that Jarmon Canady might have been Nixon's maternal uncle, but I haven't been researching my Davis line in over a year to prove it.

Thanks, Judy

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 3:38AM GMT
Judy.
Are you related to William Jefferson Davis, son of Henry Ross Davis? William Jefferson or W. J. died when a pickup exploded in Nov 1938. I am looking for family of William Jefferson. He is buried at Providence Cemetery in Franklin Co. TX.

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 4:31AM GMT
Yes. My database shows that he was my mother's first cousin. Her uncle was Ross Davis, son of Elbert Jeff Davis.

Thanks for the information about him. If you have anything else you can share, I'd appreciate the information. I never knew my grandfather, Leroy Davis, who was "Mutt's" (William Jefferson) uncle.

Judy

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 4:47AM GMT
Judy,
My father was friends with Mutt and was with him when he died. My father received 3rd degree burns from his waist down and was in Lamesa Hospital for 3 months and then transfered to Baylor Hosp. in Dallas. He was there for 11 months. I have a photo of the two of them with their guitars. I was wanting to share this photo with his family. Didn't Mutt have a brother who moved to Lubbock? Mom said she thought he did. If so, do you know his name and is he deceased?

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 3:23AM GMT
I might be wrong, but I think Ross moved to Lubbock. He and Roy (my grandfather) were partners in a grocery store near Lubbock. Charles (Doc) Edwin Davis, Mutt's brother, was there too. I think that Doc passed away several years ago.
I don't have any contacts except for Phil who is my Mom's cousin too. Are you interested in passing on the photo to him? I could write him a letter about it. He's my only contact in the Davis family.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 3:41AM GMT
I thought if I had an email address, I could just send them a copy. W.J and my dad are dressed as cowboys. W.J. is holding a guitar and my dad is holding some play guns. My dad did play the guitar anyway but I don't know if W.J. did. Dad used to visit Doc when he went to Lubbock. I don't know if dad knew Roy or not. I was going to tell you but keep forgetting. My mother SAID this was W.J. with my dad so I am going on that. If you decide that you want a copy of the photo, let me know. I'll send you my email address and then send you a copy after you contact me....Good to chat with you.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 4:22AM GMT
Please email it to me. Maybe I can make a hardcopy of it, and send it to Phil.

Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions