Search for content in message boards

Information regarding

Information regarding

Posted: 14 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2003 6:11AM GMT
Surnames: SHOCKLEY, LYLES, EDWARDS, TOWLER, TOLER, RAMSEY
trying to find clues regarding the following:

John (Shockly) Shockley + wife Elizabeth (Towler) Toler m August 04, 1808 Pittsylvania County, VA
their child Shadrack Shockley + 1st wife Elizabeth (Towler) Toler m December 18, 1828 Pittsylvania County, VA(yes I know names are the same)
Shadrack Shockley + 2nd wife Frances C Ramsey m January 22, 1836 Pittsylvania Co, VA
thier child Euphratus AKA Euratus Shockley

Euphratus AKA Euratus Shockley married Lucy Lyles born in Franklin County in Roanoke County before 1905

Have found a marriage record for EUPHRATUS SHOCKLEY to a {MRS} S. C. EDWARDS on Dec 6, 1871 in PITTSYLVANIA, VA recorded in the Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929 {database online} at Ancestry.com. This may also be my Euphratus AKA Euratus Shockley.

Thanks

Re: Information regarding

Posted: 16 Jan 2003 2:54AM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2005 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: Toler-Towler-Shockley
According to a list of Toler marriages compiled by Anita Toler Baudean in 1990, Elizabeth Toler dau/Joseph & Frances Dixon Toler m. John Shockley on 8/4/1807, in Pittsylvania Co. VA. Then later it says: Elizabeth Toler dau/ Elijah & Polly Rorher Toler m. Shadrack Shockley son/John & Elizabeth Toler Shockley on 12/17/1828 in Pittsylvania Co. VA. The Elijah Toler mentioned here is also the son of Joseph & Frances Dixon Toler. Elijah Toler m. Polly Rorher on 10/13/1807 in Pittsylvania Co. VA. Joseph Toler m. Frances Dixon ca. 1770 in Pittsylvania Co. VA. The list also says that Joseph Toler is the son of William Toler of Hartford Co. VA.

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: Toler, Toeler, Dixon, Rorer, Rorher, Shockley
Elizabeth Toler b. July 19, 1778 m John Shockley on 8-4-1808 in Pittsylvania Co, Va (source is Marriages of Pittsylvanina Co., Va 1806-1830 pg.143). Shadrack Shockley, born 11-3-1808, son of John Shockley and Elizabeth Toler (source Virginia Vital records, Multiple records pg. 533)married an Elizabeth Towler, Parents unknown. Elizabeth Toler, born 9-19-1808 (source Vriginia Vital Records-Multiple records pg. 533) dau/Elijah Toler and Polly Rorer/Rorher married Payton Toler 8-3-1825.
The Elijah Toler here is the son of Joseph Toler and Francis Dixon. Elijah m. Polly Rorer/Rorher 9-12-1807 in Pittsylvania Co. Va (Source Marriages of Pittsylvania Co., Va. 1806-1830 pg. 158.
Joseph Toler was the son of William J. Toler/Towler of Powhatan Co. Va. (Source CD family search from Latterday Saints and book "Fruit of the Garden" by Ann Toler (have found some errors in the book) Joseph m Francis Dixon, the same name as his mother Francis Dixon, ca. 1770.
Joseph died in Pittsylvania Co, 11-10-1819. His wife Francis died ther also on 6-30-1833 (source Pittsylvania Co., Va. Wills pg.230 - Virginia vital records-Multiple records pg.533, Also Virginia Wills-Genealogical Society pg.521-523) William was remarried by 1786 to a woman named Hannah. His father William died there abt 6-17-1799.
There is a very interesting story in the Virginia House of Burgesss, which was a court. When William and his son's Joseph and Joshua and Williams brother Martin came to Bedford Co. Va, they settled on the Staunton River. Martin on the Bedford side and William on the Pittsylvania side. They started a ferry business along with their plantations. The bridge that now crossed Rt 608 is called Toler Bridge to this day. (source Green Stone - A history of southern Bedford County Va, by Rachel Parsons Flynn Bishop)
Now Joshua had a brother Joseph who you know married Francis Dixon. Apparently these two brother combined there resources, purchased land and began their plantations. But before any legal papers could be drawn up, each leagally claiming what belonged to them, Joshua died. His children, my ancestors, took their uncle Joseph to court because he claimed all of the property as his. Joshus'a children lost calling their uncle's family "Pets of the court". The eldest of Joshua's sons Barnabas who married Sarah Ann Hackworth, (who's lineage leads to the current Queen of England), moved his family to Indiana, never to return to Virginia. When his Grandfather William died he left some money to Joshua's children and his widow Judith. Joseph allowed Judith to live on the land until her death 11-17-1807. Would like to find out someday how Joshua died. Have copies of all source records and pictures of Toler bridge. Will send anything anyone would like. Or Happy to chang any records I have if you can back them up with records. Thanks

Posted: 18 Oct 2004 7:01PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 6:27PM GMT
Julie,
I believe I am a descendant of Barnabas Toler who migrated to Indiana. I have some vital records from Virginia that state Barnabas was a son of William (who left a will in Pittsylvania County, VA in 1799) not Joshua. What is your source that his father was Joshua?

Any help on this Toler line would be greatly appreciated - they are an allusive bunch!

Re: Information regarding Barnabas Toler

Posted: 21 Oct 2004 7:56PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2005 10:10PM GMT
Re-read the will of William Toler probated in Pittsylvania Co., VA June 17th 1799. The will specifically leaves money to son Joshua Toler's widow and five children, Nancy, Molly, Barnabas, John and Cornelius. Further the records of the house of Burgess record a court battle between William's son Joseph and the heirs of Joshua Toler. Apparently Joshua and Joseph bought land together but Joshua died intestate and his property was taken by his brother. Joshua's children inherited nothing.

Re: Information regarding Barnabas Toler

Posted: 22 Oct 2004 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 6:27PM GMT
Thank you Julie,

I have not yet had opportunity to see William's will. My information came from "Marriages of Virginia Residents Vol II, Part II, Surnames T-U" which mentioned these children as children of William and ref. his will, this source does not mention Joshua. Looks like I'm going to have to get to the Library to look this one up and the one in Bedford Cty for Joshua.

FYI: I am the 4th great-granddaughter of Barnabas Toler here in Indiana. He shows up on Indiana records, had at least 4 children that I can put a name to, one of whom was my 3rd great grandmother Marilla (some records say Berilla, and other Maretta) who married Henry Craig in 1833 in Henry County, IN. Barnabas shows up in Henry County IN land and Deed records, 1840 & 1850 Blackford Cty IN Census, and then is found on 1860 Hancock Cty IN Census living next to Henry & Marilla Craig.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: towler,toler ,toller
does anyone have a jickanias,jackonias,jaconias towler in their tree? he spelled his name many different ways, including his last name as towler toler,toller, his grandson looks so similiar to elijah ..we have to be related but i cannot find the connection, all i know is he was born in lunenburg about 1755 and that is an estimate,he married mary simmons, had a son james N towler.. who in turn had thomas a towler who went to arkansas. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.as i said my grandfather looks like elijah
tinameckle@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions