Search for content in message boards

Nekimi?

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Noe, Faust, Eveslage
I have the town of Nekimi, Winnebago County, listed on a family tree. Can anyone help me out on this one?

Nekimi Township

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 3:48PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2005 7:47PM GMT
Nekimi is what in most states would be called a township. Here in Wi the official phrasing is "Civil Town of Nekimi." Pronounce it Neh-ky-my with long "i" sounds. It means sugar bush (I've forgotten if it's in Menoninee or Winnebago). This is a rural area south-southwest of Oshkosh. You won't see it on a highway map, but if you go to the Winnebago County government web page and click on GIS (Geographic Information Systems) you should be able to pull up a map. Settled in the 1840s by Yankees and Welsh, with some German-speaking Swiss along the eastern edge.

Re: Nekimi?

Janet Eiler (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 4:02PM GMT
What is it you want to know about Nekimi? It is in Winnebago County, WI. It is located in the SE part of the county, West of Black Wolf and East of Utica Townships.

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 12:58AM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2002 7:31AM GMT
Surnames: LOWER FARRAND
I have an ancestral family who lived in Nekimi. Their surname was LOWER and FARRAND. Any connection here?

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 3:56AM GMT
Thanks. I had never heard of it and I grew up near Oshkosh. Is there any history available on it? Is it still in existance?

Re: Nekimi Township

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 3:59AM GMT
Thanks-I will check out the other website!

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 4:01AM GMT
The family I have that settled there is NOE. I don't have all of the spousal names listed so I can't be sure. Does NOE show up on your records?

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 5:02AM GMT
Surnames: NOE, LOWER, FARRAND
No pun intended, but NO -- I do not have any NOE. I'm hoping you or someone else may have a LOWER or FARRAND.

Re: Nekimi Township

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAMS, LEWIS, LLOYD
My husband's ancestors settled in the Nekimi Township area in the late 1840's. Many of them are buried in the Zoar Cemetery. I am trying to translate/decipher the Welsh writing on the bottom of some of their headstones. Is there anyone that can help me?
My email is christhiessen@windstream.net

Thank you,
Chris

Posted: 17 Feb 2014 9:06PM GMT
i live in the town of nekimi. not much history on the internet.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions