Search for content in message boards

Campion pre-1800

Campion pre-1800

Posted: 7 Jan 2004 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Feb 2007 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: Campion
Hi Everyone

I've taken on a long term project on the Campion family, and would appreciate help from anyone with family information pre1800, especially from those with Campion links to England and Ireland. There is a link between all these families and I would like to try and find it. If anyone is interested in helping me, please contact me.

Del

Re: Campion from Kilkenny pre-1800

Posted: 6 Aug 2010 10:47AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2010 11:54PM GMT
Hi there
I have a Campion family that was born in Kilkenny in the 1800s, some of them immigrated to New Zealand, are you intereseted?
Regards
Sue foote

Re: Campion, Co Cork pre-1800

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 4:19AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2010 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Campion
great grandfather patrick born county cork, Ireland 1828. Lived in England for a time before boarding the Guy Mannering in 1849 with younger brother George. Landed at Ellis Island @ 1850 and resided in Westmoreland co., Pennsylvania. Unkn parents or other siblings. Unable to make connection from Ireland...can you help?

Re: Campion pre-1800

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 2:50AM GMT
It is my understanding that the name is of Norman French origin. It is a corruption of the Norman Word for Champion (of a cause or for a leader, not winner). It has been in use in France and was later carried to the British Isles during various invasions as well as some migration. Most of these predate the 1800s.

You may find your connection in France rather than in either England or Ireland.

Good luck with your project.

Bob

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 8:34PM GMT
Thank you. Have seen Campion name on pre 1800 documents but thought it was too far past for the family records (Ref: France). My brother also thinks the name came from France. Still trying to connect the family from before the Potato Famine.

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 7:44AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2010 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Darmondy
My Campions so far has a Patrick Campion marrying Jane Darmondy about 1835c in Gargara, kilkenny area, children so far that I have found are Michael b=1839 and perhaps a Eliza 1841. Descendants of Michael are in New Zealand - my direct line
cheers

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 9:31PM GMT
Hello Del
I am descended from Thomas Campion and Ellen Lewis who were married in St. Luke's Church of Ireland (Anglican), in Douglas, Cork, County Cork, Ireland in 1822. I don't know when either of them were born, but there's a chance it was before 1800. Their sons, George Lewis Campion and William Joseph Lewis Campion came to England and married English women. My family descend from William Joseph Lewis Campion. I was told as a child that 'The Campions' were an English family who had gone to Ireland & then returned. Irish descendants, whom I met last year, told me there is the same belief that the family were originally English, in their family.
My Tree is Public and you can see it if you wish - it's called "Chillistone Family Tree".
Best wishes!

Re: Campion, Co Cork pre-1800

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 9:38PM GMT
Hello J Reed
My Great, Great Grandparents were Thomas Campion (Boot maker) and Ellen Lewis - who married in 1822 at St. Lukes Church of Ireland, (Anglican), in Douglas, Cork, County Cork. Their son William Joseph Lewis Campion b.1832 came to England and married Mary Ann Gray in 1860. I am descended from the eldest daughter, Eliza Frances.
My Tree is Public and you can see it if you wish - it is called "Chillistone Family Tree".
Best wishes!

Re: surname Campion

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 9:43PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2012 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: Campion, Campione, Champion, Champain, Championnet
Hello J. Reed
Information on the name of Campion:
This name, with variant spellings Campion, Campione, Champion, Champain and Championnet, has two distinct possible origins, the first and most likely being an occupational name for a professional Champion, deriving from the Old Norman-French "campiun" or "campion" (Old French "champiun"), a champion or professional fighter employed to represent one of the parties to a suit in a trial by combat. (In an ordeal by battle the accuser and the accused took the field themselves). The surname is believed to have been introduced into England by followers of William the Conqueror after the Norman Invasion of 1066. Early recordings of the surname include: Herbert Campion (Hampshire, 1148); Geoffrey Champiun (Northamptonshire, 1154); Roger le Campion (Oxfordshire, 1197); and William le Champiun (Suffolk, 1220). The second possibility is that the name is locational from a place in Picardy (Northern France), called Compiegne. A family of the name in Witham, Essex, claim descent from the noble recorded below who accompanied Robert 11, Duke of Normandy, on the First Crusade. One member of this family was Edmund Campion (1540 - 1581), the Jesuit Martyr. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Nicole de Campion, which was dated 1096 - 1099, in "Records of the First Crusade", during the reign of King William 11, known as "Rufus", 1087 - 1100. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
Best wishes!

Posted: 22 May 2012 11:54AM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2012 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Campion, Foley
I have a pre 1800 Campion, Mary, who was married to Daniel Foley and lived in the Bennets Bridge area of Kilkenny. While I cant locate their birth or marriage details the children I have found were christened between 1784 and 1802.

Happy to pass on detail if of interest
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions