Search for content in message boards

Marking/Indicating Direct Relatives

Marking/Indicating Direct Relatives

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings,
Is there a way to mark/indicate direct relatives? In the Tree View, I'd like to be able to show direct relatives in a programmatic way (e.g. alternate colored background, Red/Bold lines, etc.).
I understand several people use ALL CAPS or an image/icon to indicate direct relation; however, there are several issues with this method: 1) it requires massive manual time, 2) anyone that copies my tree will have massive edits to Proper Case the names, 3) changing the HOME PERSON will not automatically change the CAPS/ICONS -- thus some educational value to other family members is lost.
I thought I read there had been an update (perhaps for mobile devices) that this was possible. Seems like a rather easy bit of coding.
Please advise,
Thank you.

Re: Marking/Indicating Direct Relatives

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:46AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2013 2:24PM GMT
"Is there a way to mark/indicate direct relatives?"

No such option from within either ATM or FTM. As has been discussed here regularly, you're rather on your own even if you elect to use the traditional all caps methodology (tho FTM may have that as an option...I'm not sure on that).

My preference is to utilize ansi characters (I hate all caps and ANSI is now recognized by FTM)...eg. ♥ John Paul Jones. They are unobtrusive and, I think, rather innovative.

Your mileage may, of course, vary as will that of others who might contribute here...but you're kinda on your own on this one and I wouldn't expect ACOM to rock the genealogical boat in this regard anytime soon.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 1:40AM GMT
You can also put some indication in the suffix box - a character, as suggested above, or even the word "direct" if you want. It won't mess up the indexing, but will show on the profile and on the list of all people.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:04AM GMT
Although this does not help with your tree at ancestry, tribalpages allows you to highlight family lines (hint for the ancestry team - little colored squares next to the name of the person in the index that represents that particular line, ie. blue for John Smith's family and red for John Doe's) and at the bottom of each page the forebear and the colored square that represents the family line - sort of like a navigation bar, you can access the family by clicking the "navigation bar" - would be such a great asset to your customers)

The "free account" at tribal allows 1 (pesky ads with this option as well as other limitations); the $24 annual allows 4; the $36 annual allows 8 and the $48 annual allows 16.

If your goal is exposure as well as being able to attach a record as a source without doing the extra work (spelling out the citation rather than attaching a record found on ancestry), ancestry is the best place to host your tree.

That being said, you may also want to consider tribalpages as the fee is pretty reasonable and you have more control over how your tree is accessed as well as how it is presented.

Kind regards and happy hunting!

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 5:30AM GMT
I've finally deleted all the caps which I'd added over the years (starting out I knew no better). The only way I can think to denote my exact directs (only) is to cap their last name (not first or middle). So far I'm liking that choice. When I'm looking at a list in a family of 20 kids, it is easy to see my next link by the caps. But I'm a simple simon :) My half-cent worth.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 4:08AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2013 4:12AM GMT
I use FTM and ancestry.com interactively (both up on my screen at one time), so this is an important feature for me. I addressed this a while back, here is my posting as it relates to using Family Tree Maker (which syncs-up with ancestry.com). I'm still very pleased with how this works for me ... I hate all the little 'direct lineage' clip-art because you can't search on it whereas you can when using a field. If ONLY ACOM would make this an auto-populate field ... life would be heaven!!! Check it out "FTM11: Lineage in data": http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/8743...

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 8:15AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
It's been almost a year - any closer to having this function?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic