Search for content in message boards

Levi Hicks -- Born 1832 -- Watauga Co., NC

Levi Hicks -- Born 1832 -- Watauga Co., NC

Posted: 24 Jan 2001 1:18PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:45AM GMT
I am looking for more information on Levi Hicks, Born 1832 in Watauga County, NC. I do not know who his parents were. He was married to Cyntha Brewer (before 1853?). They had six children -- James P., Nancy, Samuel, Willis, Merrit O.L. Levi.

Any information you could give me would be appreciated!

Re: Levi Hicks -- Born 1832 -- Watauga Co., NC

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 12:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 10:49PM GMT
Levi Hicks was the son of Samuel Hicks b ca 1830 Valle Crucis, NC Samuel's wife was Nancy Ward ca 1803 NC. Hope this helps

Re: Levi Hicks oppps!

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 12:03AM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 10:49PM GMT
I gave you the worng date for the birth of Samuel Hicks its ca 1800, m ca 1824

Re: Levi Hicks oppps!

Tammy Rice (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Willis, Harmon, Ward
Becky,

Thanks for the information!

I have also gathered some other information since my last post almost a year ago. The information I have says that Nancy Ward was born on 13 May 1804 in NC. Do you have any opinion as to how accurate this is?

I also have information that says that Samuel Hicks' parents were: Samuel Hicks (Sr.) (B-Abt 1753 in Goochland, VA) and Sarah Nancy Harmon.

I have information that Samuel (Sr.) Hicks' parents were: David Hicks (B-Abt 1719 in Goochland, VA, D-Abt 1792 in WS, Territory South of the Ohio) and Unknown Name (B-Abt 1719 in Goochland, VA).

David Hicks' parents were Samuel Hicks (B-Abt 1680, M-Abt 1704, D-Aft 1764 in Granville Co., NC) and Diane Willis (B-Abt 1680).

I appreciate your post! Have a wonderful week!

Tammy Rice

Re: Levi Hicks

Bob Butler (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2002 5:16PM GMT
Tammy - did Samuel Hicks Sr. have any other children? I noted that you gave this Samuel Sr.'s grandmother as Diane Willis. There is a Willis Hicks who res. Carroll Co. TN and died there before 1850; his will mentions wife Elizabeth and daughter Lurany/Lewrany (Lurana), no other children mentioned or known. Lurana Hicks m. Wilson Kelley in Carroll Co. TN; they are in the 1850 census, with her mother in the household. I would like to know if your Samuel Sr. is related to this Willis Hicks, and if either of them is related to Barton Hicks or Basil/Basel Hicks, both of whom also res. in Carroll Co. TN in 1850. So far these families have no connection to Claibourn (Clayborn/Claiborne/etc.) Hicks, who is also living in Carroll Co. TN in 1850, in the 18th district with many Butler families, probably relatives of his first wife Lurena Butler. Claibourn Hicks is a son of my ancestor Littleberry Hicks, who lived in Hickman Co. TN and before that in Montgomery Co. NC.

Re: Levi Hicks

Tammy Rice (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2002 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Butler
Samuel Hicks, Sr. had four sisters and one brother. The brother's name was David Hicks, Jr. Their father's name was David Hicks (Hix), Sr. As you calculated, that would be the right time frame to be a brother of Samuel Hicks, Sr., but, as I said, he didn't have a brother named Willis (that I know of right now). Sorry I can't be of any help there!

I also do not have a Barton or Basil/Basel Hicks anywhere in my line around 1850. That would probably mean they were children of my Samuel Hicks, Sr. He had eight children: Harmon, William, Cutliff Harmon, Goldner, David, Sabra, Sarah and Samuel (Jr.).

Samuel Hicks, Jr. had seven children: Andrew (B-1826), Adam (B-1829), Levi (B-1832), Rachel (B-1835), Carrel (1839), Patterson (1843) & Jane (1847). So that family line does not seem to match with Claibourn/Clayborn/Claiborne Hicks, I don't believe.

Sorry, but I don't see anywhere that our lines could match up! Good luck in finding more information!

Thanks for your post!

Posted: 28 Jun 2005 5:15AM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Johnson
Hi, My 3rd great grandmothers name is Celia or Seelia Hicks, Now she was born around December 18, 1822 in Watauga County, North Carolina. I do not know if this is accurate. Her Father was Samuel Hicks , I do not know who her mother is. I do know she had 3 brothers named Levi, Andrew and Patterson Hicks. She married a man named Noah Johnson who was from North Carolina. They had the following children George Washington Johnson (my 2nd great grandfather) and he was born in Watauga County, North Carolina in 1847, John K. Johnson, James Johnson and Celia Lucretia Johnson. Now Celia Lucretia Johnson was born November 29, 1858 and Celia Hicks died 9 days later in Greene County, Tennessee. Now i have Noah Johnsons pension records and most of this info i have gotten from them. The story was told that Samuel Hicks had a bunch of land and divided it up between the boys to keep them close to him. Also another story is the family broke up after the Civil War. I hope you all are able to help me. I have hardly any info on this family and would love to fill in the gaps. You can get in touch with me through my e-mail vedamo@earthlink.net. Thanks.

Larry B. Mobley (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2005 3:17PM GMT
I also have a Celia Hicks in my family tree. My g-g-grandmother Celia B. Hicks, b. @1822, GA., married Jeremiah Blaylock on March 08, 1843 in Itawamba Co., MS. 1850 census of 1850 Census of Monroe Co., MS., lists:
Blalock, Jeremiah 28M Farmer b. Miss.
Seely 28F b. Geo.
Lucinda 6F b. Miss.
William C. 5M b. Ala.
Louisa E. 3F b. Miss.
I have nothing more on Celia B. Hicks other than a record of her and Jeremiah's marriage document.
--Larry B. Mobley
Researching my Mobley, White, Gibson, Isaacs, Blaylock, Hicks and Weatherford family lines
per page

Find a board about a specific topic