Search for content in message boards

The Dalton's from Pittsylvania co. va & W. Va.

The Dalton's from Pittsylvania co. va & W. Va.

Posted: 26 Dec 2004 10:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I'm looking for any information about my g grandparents. I know they originally came here from W. Va. My Father's name is James Monroe Dalton, dob 12-18-17, his father's name was Jesse James Dalton from W. Va. dob approx. 1893. His father's name was John Henry Dalton..Don't know where he was born I assume W.Va also. My father was born & raised in and around the Danville, Himosa, Chatham Co' areas, when he was a little boy (1925) his Grandfather had a blacksmith shop at a cross roads near Himosa, va. Not sure about the spelling, if anyone out there has anything even close to this please contact me. My Grandfather ( jesse) died in Reedville, Va, I think in the early 70's..don't know if he had any siblings or not...no names. Thanks Rhonda Dalton Wheeler

Re: The Dalton's from Pittsylvania co. va & W. Va.

Posted: 17 Jun 2005 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Dalton, Pickeral
I am also looking for Dalton's in Pittsylvania County VA. All I have is Elizabeth "Betsy" Dalton was born about 1788 and she married Richard Pickeral. They had the following children: Lewis, Anne Elizabeth, Mildred and Rebecca. If you find out anymore info please let me know:)

Kenneth F. Haas (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2005 9:46PM GMT

Phoebe and Elizabeth "Betsy" Dalton were daughters of Milley (Dalton) Slayton who married Daniel Slayton in 1805. She may have lived with Betsy Pickeral in 1830 and died 1836. Phoebe married George Cook and may have gone to Butler County, KY.

Betsy married Richard Pickeral in 1808 with Elijah Dalton as security. Elijah born ca 1784 married Nancy Brogin in 1801 and he moved to Pulaski County, KY ca 1813..His father was Joseph Dalton, son of John and Patience Dalton, one of five early Daltons in Pittsylvania.

Extensive research has not revealed the first husband of Milly or, indeed, whether she had one.

Five or six Daltons married Pickerals (spelled several ways) in Pittsylvania.

- Ken

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Dalton
Just ran across this post today, do you have a list of all
the children for John and Patience Dalton? Do you have any information about John's parents or siblings?

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 10:25PM GMT

IT SEEMS LIKELY JOHN, TIMOTHY, DAVID, ROBERT, WILLIAM AND PERHAPS SAMUEL WERE ALL BROTHERS. PARENTS NOT PROVEN.

John and Patience had two blind children, Mary and Samuel.
Dvid born erly 1750s died probably 1796 who married Judith. John Spike born ca 1754, died 1827. Timothy born ca 1758, disappeared 1788. Joseph born ca 1762, took oath in 1777, probably in poor house early 1800s, died 1825.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:30AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2013 5:38AM GMT
I do not know much about the Daltons of Pittsylvania County but tracing land ownership in a locality can be enlightening.

The Archives of Virginia (located in The Library of Virginia, Richmond, in the Archives Dept.) shows that in 1732 a Timothy Dalton received a land grant in Hanover County, VA, followed by Timothy Dalton, Jr., receiving 2 grants in 1738. Then in 1742 Samuel Dalton received a land grant in Louisa County (Louisa County was created out of the territory of Hanover county in 1742).

Then in 1759 a Timothy Dalton received a grant for 150 acres
on Frying Pan Creek in Halifax County plus a second grant for 1,180 acres of land on Pigg River in Halifax County.

Pittsylvania County was created out of Halifax County in 1767 and at that time those land grant sites fell into Pittsylvania County. In other worlds a Timothy Dalton had
1,330 acres of land in the Northwest section of the new Pittsylvania County.

The next land grants to a Dalton in Pittsylvania are a small number of acres to Thomas Dalton of Pittsylvania County in 1801 and to William Dalton in Pittsylvania County in 1802.

Are you saying the Daltons you named are the descendants of this Timothy Dalton?

By the way, James L. Dalton is the son of William Dalton married Sarah Mayhew and William was son of Samuel married Catherine Pickeral, both of whom were born in 1805 in Pittsylvania County. (I usually do find the links but it can take some time.)

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 10:49PM GMT

It is possible the older Timothy sired the Pitt. Dalton born ca 1700-1720 but no one can prove it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions