Search for content in message boards

Steffen/Sampe family from Milwaukee

Steffen/Sampe family from Milwaukee

Dan Laurent (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2003 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking family members in the Milwaukee area. I have found that my gggreat grandfather's brother was Wilhelm Steffen and his family settled in Milwaukee. So anyone with information on the Steffen or Sampe families....I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
Dan
Dnalaurent2003@aol.com

Re: Steffen/Sampe family from Milwaukee

Trudy Hawley (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2004 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Sampe Eberhardt Steffen Janke
Dan, We've been in contact before.
Your Augusta Sampe married Karl Steffen.
My Friedrich Sampe married Johanna Schrieber, and their son, Emil, married Anna, the daughter of Wilhelm Steffen and Wilhelmina Janke. My father's mother descended from Friedrich Sampe. My mother's father descended from Wilhelm Steffen. I have pictures of all of them. Did I send you copies before?
My e-mail has changed. If you want to contact me for more information, it's
thawley@prodigy.net

Re: Steffen/Sampe family in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 16 May 2013 1:39PM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2013 9:33PM GMT
Surnames: Sampe Steffen Samp Baars
"... My Friedrich Sampe married Johanna Schrieber, and their son, Emil, married Anna, the daughter of Wilhelm Steffen and Wilhelmina Janke ..."

There was a brief marriage announcement in the local German papers for E. Sampe & Anna Steffen; and later the death notices for the fairly young "Mrs. Prof. Anna Sampe" (née Steffen). In another clipping Prof. Emil Sampe is pictured with graduates of Lutheran High School class of 1918; his own death notices appear a couple of years later. Mrs. Wilhelmine Janke Steffen's death notices are also found in the German papers (referencing surnames like Baars). If Wilhelm & Wilhelmine Steffen married in Nov., there may be matches to that couple in the multiple wedding anniversary photos/clippings I've indexed for Mr. & Mrs. Wilhelm Steffen. If your Fred. Sampe died in Manitowoc, there was an obit. for that name in 1937.
All this information is indexed in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950). There are about 50 Sampe / Samp, and 300+ Steffen entries or references in the current data file.
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping family researchers collect evidence of our historic German-American culture.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions