Search for content in message boards

Irish placenames

Irish placenames

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Irish placenames certainly are confusing. I am not suggesting that they can ever be perfectly resolved. But Ancestry needs to do better that it is currently doing. Its maps need to be at least as good as Google's. For instance, part of my family came from Maulcorragh, Ballygurteen, Cork, Ireland. Google finds this fine, but Ancestry (using Bing) can only get as far as Ballygurteen. If Microsoft Bing can't do this level of place differentiation, then perhaps it is time for Ancestry to use Google instead, or perhaps, offer either mapping service when a placename is resolved.

Re: Irish placenames - ACOM switch to Google placenames?

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 7:19PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 1:45PM GMT
"If Microsoft Bing can't do this level of place differentiation, then perhaps it is time for Ancestry to use Google instead..."

No small undertaking as ACOM and Microsoft have been historically wedded together (see integrated FTM browser).

We're less likely to see this change than we are of receiving text formatting capability (/sarc).

Re: Irish placenames and the mapping widget

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 6:37AM GMT
The mapping system is really wonky at times. I do not at all follow why the pointer for Fayette County, Pennsylvania was initially in Georgia. I gave up after a couple of struggles to use it.

Re: Irish placenames and the mapping widget

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 7:53AM GMT
Placename resolution looks easy at first glance, but it can get difficult, and sometimes errors can sneak in. Some companies think they can save money by using public data, of unknown accuracy and precision, instead of that which has been checked by others, which would have to be paid for. Perhaps, penny wise and pound foolish, as they say.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic