Search for content in message boards

Carrie Nation Descendants

Carrie Nation Descendants

Colin Bullard (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2006 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nation, Fitzgerald, McFarland/McFairland, McFerrin/McFerran, Hayes
I am informed I am descended from Carrie Nation, the great prohibitionist. Does anyone know the name of her daughter by her first husband, whose last name was Gloyd? Carrie and her second husband, David Nation moved to Medicine Lodge, KS in Barber Co., in 1890. Did they have any children? I have information on some of this, but until I receive the files, I need some clues from others. I am quite sure she was one of our significant ancestors, as I had relatives who had all this genealogy. Just a few names of families on this side of the family were McFerran (or McFerrin), Fitzgeralds, McFarlands. These families lived in Kansas and Missouri. However, the descent may have been through the wive's names. If anyone knows of any add'l. sources of information, would appreciate this. Thank you. CB

Re: Carrie Nation Descendants

Jerry Ferrin (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2006 11:06AM GMT
Surnames: Hayes, Jordan, McFerran, Nation
You posted the following in the site guestbook, which I'm reposting here before I delete it from the guestbook:
---------
Was the brother of David Nation mentioned in the obit. or the accompanying article as being in Neosho County, KS, Sampson Nation, Jr., my direct ancestor? His daughter, Evelyn Conn Nation-McFerran lived in Neosho County, KS--I have a photo of her along with her daughter, Mary Ellen (Nation) McFerran-Hayes, therefore, I assume the brother mentioned may have been Sampson, Jr.--Evelyn's father. I need information on Sampson Nation--my g-g-grandfather. Thank you so much.
C. Bullard
--------------

Jerry Ferrin (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2006 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: Ferrin, Flory, Gloyd, Nation
Sources of information for Carrie and David Nation which are on the Barber County, Kansas: History and Geneaology site are as follows:

Biography of Carry A. Nation:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ksbarber/nation_carry.html

Obituary: Captain David A. Nation:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ksbarber/nation_d.html

The Use and Need of the Life of Carry A. Nation, by Carry A. Nation, Revised edition, 1905:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ksbarber/nation_carry_useandneedboo...

or alternate url:

http://tinyurl.com/bwxvn

The Rootsweb Message board for the surname Nation is here:

http://tinyurl.com/r2kjm

So far as I've found in my reading, Carrie Nation had only one child, by Dr. Charles Gloyd; they were married on November 21, 1867. Gloyd was, by all accounts, a severe alcoholic; they separated shortly before the birth of their daughter, Charlien.

According to the obituary
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ksbarber/nation_d.html
for her 2nd husband, Capt. David A. Nation, she had no children by him.

I googled for info. on her child and have found, thus far, the following:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/NN/fna7....
"Belton, Missouri. There on November 21, 1867, Carry married Dr. Charles Gloyd. They became the parents of a daughter, but Gloyd's alcoholism had destroyed the marriage even before the child's birth, and he died shortly after Carry's parents forced her to return home. She then enrolled in Warrensburg Normal Institute and, after receiving a teaching certificate, taught school in Holden, Missouri, for four years. In 1877 she married David Nation, a lawyer, newspaperman, and sometime minister in the Christian Church."

It appears that you must descend from her daughter Charlien Gloyd if you are Carrie's descendant. However, I do not know if Charlien had any descendants.

David Nation, however, did have children from his first marriage who were mentioned in his obituary.

I have no connection with the Nation family except for the fact that my paternal aunt, Helen A. (Ferrin) Flory, and her husband, Charles Wayne Flory, were either the last private owners or among the last private owners of the Carry Nation house in Medicine Lodge, Kansas, in the early 1950's.

Colin. Bullard (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2006 2:45PM GMT
I thought I e-mailed the fact that we found we are directly descended from Sampson Nation, David Nation's brother. Their births in Delaware Co., IN were only a year or two apart. Sampson' married Nancy Conn whose daughter, Evelyn Conn Nation-McFerran was my great-grandmother. Her daughter was Mary Ellen McFerran-Hayes. Therefore, my ancestor was Sampson Nation. There was a reference in David Nation's obit. as printed on the Barber Co. KS genealogy site that said, after David Nation's sudden death, a brother in Neosho, KS wanted to come to the funeral at Medicine Lodge, but the distance made it impossible and the relatives had to direct the funeral preparations long-distance. I believe this brother was Sampson Nation. Since his progency or one of them also lived in Neosho, KS. Thank you. CB P.S. Someone e-mailed me that another brother of David Nation, Seth, lived in Erie, KS which is in Neosho Co. Perhaps several of the brothers of David Nation or certain family groups migrated there from IN and MO and points unknown. Any Clues very much appreciated.

Posted: 6 Aug 2006 4:15AM GMT
Surnames: Nation /Potter
We have always heard in our family that Carrie Nation was an in-law of ours. (An outlaw in-law!) I know she was married to David Nation. My great great grandmother's name was Nancy Nation married to Samuel Potter and they lived in Quapaw, OK. Would anyone know if Nancy and David Nation are related?

Bullard (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2006 10:39PM GMT
I don't know whether Nancy Nation was a sibiling of
David Nation. You need only to type in "David Nation" on google of AskJeves.com to find biographical information as to his DOB etc. There are a lot of articles on David Nation on State of Kansas web site as well. I'll check the dates I have and any names to see whether a Nancy Nation is included. cb

Posted: 7 Nov 2008 3:57AM GMT
I will ask my mother if she knows the answer to your question. I was named after Carrie Nation- she is my great Aunt. My grandmother on my Mom’s side was a Nation. We must be related somehow. My grandmother came from OK. I will be in touch. Cary

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 2:47AM GMT
HeCary! And are you a rabble rouser too?! ;~)
My fathers paternal grandmother was Nancy Nation married to Samuel Potter. We know she was born in TN and have always heard that Carrie was somehow an ancestor. I know Carrie's husband's name was David Nation, but that is about it regarding her relationship to our family. Thanks for looking into this for me. My father was born in Quawpaw, OK in 1920. Nancy Nation and Samuel Potter are buried somewhere around there. Have also tracked down another cousin who lives near there and sent me pictures of their tombstones.
Linda (Potter) Meyer

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 3:08AM GMT
Well... I am not related by blood, but my Great Grandfather Glover M. Martin was David Nation's law partner and represented him in his divorce from Carrie!

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 1:11PM GMT
David Nation's brother was Solomon Nation. I am related to Solomon (great-grandfather).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic