Search for content in message boards

Henry Tufts - Vermont and New Hampshire 1815

Henry Tufts - Vermont and New Hampshire 1815

Susan Grady (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2003 4:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello!

I would like to obtain information, please about Henry Tufts, who was living in Vermont and New Hampshire around 1815. He was originally from Vermont. He was arrested for passing counterfeit money. He was the uncle of Joseph Jackson, who was born around 1754 in Durham, New Hampshire and who supposedly died in Matanzas, Cuba, but possibly he died in Newry, Maine in 1845. Joseph Jackson lived from 1807 to around 1815 in Gorham, New Hampshire and was arrested and imprisioned for passing counterfeit money. He escaped from the state prision in New Hampshire and fled to Cuba.
Joseph Jackson was the grandfather of Willard Cross Jackson, the great-grandfather of my mother. My mother is 81 years old and would like to learn as much as possible about her family. We would like to learn who were the parents of Henry Tufts and if he was the uncle of Joseph Jackson on the side of Joseph Jackson's mother or his father. We would very much like to trace our Jackson family back to find out when they came from England to the Thirteen Colonies.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Grady
Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Henry Tufts - Vermont and New Hampshire 1815

Posted: 6 Jan 2003 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2006 2:00PM GMT
Susan:

I believe the Henry Tufts you are referring to was born 24 June 1748, Newmarket, NH, d 31 Jan 1831,Limerick, ME. Henry was son of Henry & Mary (Wedgwood) Tufts. He m circa 1770 in Durham, NH to Lydia Bickford, d/o Joseph & Margery Bickford who was born circa 1741 Newington, NH and d Aug 1834 in Limerick, ME.

Henry was, for the times, quite a rogue! In 1806 he published his memoirs, entitled "The Life, Adventures, Travels and Sufferings of Henry Tufts". Few, if any, of the original books remain as the outraged citizens of Dover burnt the printery down! Many have tried to substantiate all that Henry "confessed" as doing but none have succeeded. It is more than likely, in my opinion, that the "stories" have greatly been embelished over the next 100 or so years! (Quite like the "fish who got away!".

I can see no immediate link to a Jackson family, unless Lydia's mother was a Jackson. No records have been found by Herb Adams, author of "Tufts Kinsmen" that mentions Margery's maiden name.

Looking further into the book there is a Capt. John Tufts b 11 Feb 1798 in Wilton, ME who m in 1825 to a Mary Jackson, aka "Polly", d/o Samuel and Comfort (Houghton) Jackson, b 25 Aug 1801 in Jay, ME who d 22 Feb. 1880, Aurora, Indiana. John, however, was not in the same "line" as Henry.

Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful but wish you luck on your search!

Sandi

Susan M. Grady (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2003 2:24PM GMT
Dear Sandi,

Thank you very much for your message. I believe that the maiden name of Joseph Jackson's mother was Tufts and that Henry Tufts was her brother. Therefore Henry Tufts would have been Joseph Jackson's uncle. The information I received from the Public Library in Gorham, New Hampshire stated that Henry Tufts was Joseph Jackson's uncle. According to the information you gave me, Henry Tufts did live in Durham, New Hampshire, which is where Joseph Jackson was born about 1754.
I wrote to the Town Clerk's Office in Durham, New Hampshire, but they have no records prior to 1860. The Town Clerk's Office in Newry, Maine had no death record for him. I also wrote to the library in Durham, New Hampshire and to the library in Bethel, Maine (It is near Newry, Maine where Joseph Jackson died; Newry has no library.) and am waiting to hear from these two libraries. I hope they can tell me who the parents of Joseph Jackson were.
Do you know where I might find information about what Henry Tufts did during his life? I would be very interested in knowing.
Thank you very much for your kind assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Grady

Posted: 7 Jan 2003 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2006 2:00PM GMT
Susan: A suggestion - contact Herb Adams at Tufts Kinsmen Project, P O Box 571, Dedham, MA 02027-0571 with the information you have posted and see what, if anything, he can add.

He is quite intimate with the details on this particular Henry in that it was reading Henry's "autobiography" that led him to begin his research on the Tufts family!

Sandi

Susan m. Grady (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2003 2:15PM GMT
Dear Sandi,

Thank you very much for the information. I will write to
Mr. Herb Adams as you suggested.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Grady

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions