Search for content in message boards

Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
He was suppose to be abt 18 yrs old when getting to US, by himself, suppose to see statue of Liberty, and ended up in Michigan the Upper Pennsula Menominee county. I can get him in census 1900-1930. I need to know if he changed his name to the above I do have his death certif as Charles Johnson. It was from Rhinelander WI d. 6-30-1942. Have a couple of imm dates on census, 1969 and 1973. He married Karren/Carrie Anderson 5 Aug 1882 He was from Sweden she Denmark and imm in 1881 with grandfather Hans Jorgensen. Charles was suppose to be here 10 years before her. Need help.

Re: Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson
Hi,
I am sorry but I am not sure what your question is?

Do you know which Swedish city he was born in? Maybe I can help you to find him.

Kind regards
Sandra W

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:17PM GMT
I don't know, It was never mentioned except Stockholm Sweden. My GGM said Horsens but It was an area south west of that area. They just said that city because it was closer to the big city. I assume that when they said Stockholm it might be the same thing, closest biggest city. Are you related to Johnsons? I was looking onto your site and saw that you have researched Charles C Johnson from Sweden. Were you researching for someone else or yourself?

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:28PM GMT
Sandra, I have looked in a lot of places and contacted a few people last night and this morning so I am kind of confused as to who you are and what I was communicating to you about. I hope I don't sound like a dope, but if I contacted you because of seening something on your site that was simular to mine, that is what I am thinking. If your talking to me because you saw something of mine, thank you.

I am looking for my GGF Charles C Johnson and in 1930 census it says he immig in 1869 all others say 1873. I have seen on some other members that they are saving some of my information on my tree to theirs and I have contacted them to find out if they are related that way.

I do have his death cert and it doesn't have the area in Sweden. Just the date of death. He lived in Menominee County MI city of Faithorn and Holmes township. There is some confusion with dates on census and calculating the age on the doccument with the date of the doccument don't connect all the time. Rita

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:29PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 9:29PM GMT
Sandra, I have looked in a lot of places and contacted a few people last night and this morning so I am kind of confused as to who you are and what I was communicating to you about. I hope I don't sound like a dope, but if I contacted you because of seeing something on your site that was simular to mine, that is what I am thinking. If your talking to me because you saw something of mine, thank you.

I am looking for my GGF Charles C Johnson and in 1930 census it says he immig in 1869 all others say 1873. I have seen on some other members that they are saving some of my information on my tree to theirs and I have contacted them to find out if they are related that way.

I do have his death cert and it doesn't have the area in Sweden. Just the date of death. He lived in Menominee County MI city of Faithorn and Holmes township. There is some confusion with dates on census and calculating the age on the doccument with the date of the doccument don't connect all the time. Rita

Ang: Re: Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:42PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 9:43PM GMT
Hi! No, I am not related to Charles Johnson, I was just trying to help you. Because I am Swedish and maybe it is easier for me to check things here.
I live in Stockholm, but there is no place called Horsens here or outside Stockholm. (In Denmark there is a Horsens though)

His swedish name should have been Karl or Carl. The last name would be Johansson, Jonsson, Jönsson or Johannesson.
I did not understand, is 1855 his exact birthyear?
kind regards
/sandra

Re: Ang: Re: Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2013 2:07AM GMT
The date on his death certificate listed his birth as Dec 15, 1855 Sweden. No I was using Horsens as an example since his wife was suppose to be from that area in DK but was around As Vejile DK. It was just said for Charles as Stockholm.

He died in Rhinelander Wisconsin June 30 1942. I was told by his granddaughter that he saw the Statue of Liberty when coming into the USA so he came in through New York. Then she said he went to Michigan from there, I don't know how valid her comments are. They didn't know where in Sweden he came from, she said he didn't talk about it, or she doesn't remember? I think it odd that none of the different lines, Johnson, LaRoche, Bengtson families don't know where he came from other than Sweden?

I have relatives in Menominee County Michigan who I will try to get information that she can maybe look up. Right now it would be hard for her since it is winter worse up that direction than here. I know on the license for marriage on some of the daughters information, unless the person writing out the form didn't understand what she said and put an E for Charles E Johnson, when everything else has Charles C Johnson? I need to ask you, is there anything that Charles would have had to put Where in Sweden he came from? I can not get his naturalization paper copies, since I don't know for sure what date he came in to the country and if he got the naturalization in Michigan or was it in New York where he came in from Sweden??Thank you for any help you can give me on this. Rita

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:19PM GMT
Hi, Yes I think it is strange too, that none of his relatives were interested in his Swedish background. It must have been such a difficult (and exciting) trip, to go all the way to America and start a new life, far far away from their loved ones...
Anyway, what I can do is check the Swedish churchbooks to find any carl jonsson, or similar, who was born around Stockholm, at that date. I dont know if you are familiar with the Swedish books, but the priests also wrote when people emigrated,
Because, i do not know if there is anywhere where they have to declare where in Sweden they were born.
I have trouble myself with a relative who emigrated. I know excactly when and where he was born and that he bought a ticket to New York. But after that I have lost him. But I have just started searching for him so I have many ways left :)
regards
/sandra

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 10:41AM GMT
Rita, I have now searched the birthbooks from around Stockholm. And all I have found was two Carl Johan born on the 15th of Dec 1855. So the middle initials are maybe wrong.
One of them was born i Spanga, Stockholm and the name of his father was: Johan Peter Wahlberg, so Carl Johans last namne could have been Johansson or he took the name Wahlberg...
The other Carl Johan was born in Maria, Stockholm and the name of his father was Johan Petter Pettersson, so Carl Johans last name is probably Johansson.
Unfortunately I lost track of them both in the churchbooks, there were no reference when they moved. Maybe because it is such a big city.
But if want me to make another try, I will.
I also made a search on Ancestry, (maybe you did that too)
and there was at least one Carl from Stockholm:

New York, passagerarlistor, 1820-1957
Invandring & naturalisering (Immigration and naturalization)
Namn: Carl J Jonsson
Födelse 1855
Härkomst Sweden
Ankomst 14 Jun 1881, New York
Avfärd Glasgow, Scotland
Destination United States of America

Invandring & naturalisering
Namn: Carl W Jonsson
Födelse 1855
Härkomst Sweden
Ankomst 27 Apr 1886, New York
Avfärd Liverpool, England

Namn: Carl Jonsson
Födelse 1855
Härkomst Sweden
Ankomst 20 May 1879, New York
Avfärd Glasgow, Scotland

Swedish Emigration Records, 1783-1951
Namn: Carl Johan Johansson
Födelse 1855
Inga Stockholm, Stockholm
Bostadsort Sweden
Ankomst 2 06 1881, Philadelphia

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Charles Johnson b. abt 1855 Sweden

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 2:20PM GMT
Sandra, I see the confusion just keeps going. My mother before she died said that he Charles Johnson had been in the USA 10 years before her grandmother Carrie Anderson Johnson who got here in 1881. I don't know where the confusion is at, if it is his birth date or the area which he was suppose to be from???

On one of the marriage license of his daughter it shows his name as Charles E. Johnson. Another record shows the mother as Mary Olsen as mother of the bride for another daughter. Now maybe there are clues with some of what is wrote? I found Carrie because one daughter had Carrie Gorgensen (Jorgenson)The name Jorgenson was her grandfathers name who raised her after her mother died when she was born and brought her and his family to the USA.

I know the sound of names were written down because lots of times that is the only way some people could write. Is there any other thing I could go to and look for him? I do not have the Swedish ancestry to look anything up. Is there a way that it might be a smaller city closer to Stockholm? Or just the name and date of birth?

Another thing he was suppose to be 18 years old when he came to the USA and he was the only one who came. I don't know if he had family in Sweden, because he never spoke of his family to any other family members. For all I know he could have been running away from something back there or maybe he was an orphan? I know that he has to be somewhere or there has to be some way of looking on a doccument to see where he came from. I don't know where he was naturalized, Michigan or NY area after he came in? I wouldn't know how to check since there are so many Charles Johnson's out there. I KNOW he owned a sawmill and worked it with his son and son in laws. I know he owned property in Faithorn Michigan I know he lost his home and divorced. The divorce decree I have and it never mentions anything about where he came from. But there just has to be a way we can locate him. Thanks Rita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic