Search for content in message boards

Depression Era McRoberts, Kentucky

Depression Era McRoberts, Kentucky

Posted: 26 Sep 2004 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Sep 2004 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: Champions
My mother, Bonnie Champion, was born in Seco, KY; however, her family later moved to McRoberts, where she grew up and stayed until she moved to Michigan in the mid-1940s. Her parents were Elam and Pearl Champion, and she had many brothers and sisters (12), two of which died in infancy. Unfortunately, my mother has since died of cancer in December 1999. Only Helen, Del, Dan, and Ronald survive of those twelve Champion children who also grew up in McRoberts in the Depression era years.
Her family shared a coal company-owned duplex home (of sorts) with the Wojciewski (spelling?) family in Chopping Branch. She often talked about George, Frances, and the other Wojciewski's as being such good friends--as close as brothers and sisters to her.
I am currently working on a children's book about my mother's experiences growing up in McRoberts. She spoke fondly (and often) about those days, but I fail to remember a lot of the details she was so good at including in her stories. Because of this, I'm trying to find information on the following, so that my book can be as authentic as possible:
1. In the years after the Depression, my mother often talked about the town celebrating May Day. Does anyone with McRoberts roots recall the words to a song or chant the children did as they danced around the May Pole--as well as any other activities that took place related to these festivities?
2. I'm also trying to determine where a few buildings/sites were located in relationship to each other. I've been unable to find a map or anyone who can help me out with this. These sites would include the grade school (the real title?), the McRoberts company store (as well as the actual name of it), where in town the May Pole would have been located, as well as where my mother's house in Chopping Branch was located in relationship to the heart of the town and the other buildings mentioned above.
3. Is Chopping Branch named after a stream or river that went through that section of town? Is Chopping Branch considered to be a "hollow?"
4. Did the company store sell groceries and dry goods?
I apologize for so many questions; however, any info anyone is willing to share will be greatly appreciated.
Sharon Jones

Re: Depression Era McRoberts, Kentucky

Lisa Peters (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2004 3:36PM GMT
I didn't grow up in McRoberts but my mother's family did. I have passed your e-mail on to my Aunt Shirley who may be of more help than I can. My mom, too, passed away of cancer in 1997. As a child growing up I spent my summers in McRoberts. I think the family you are referring to is the Wojciechowski family. Bill Fugate has put together a couple of bound books about McRoberts. You may be able to find information at the following web-site: http://www.mcrobertsky.com
In one of Bill's books (book #2)there is an article on the Wojciechowski family. According to it the George you referred to still lives in McRoberts. To the best of my knowledge Chopping Branch was named for the sound of axes cutting wood for kitchen stoves.

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2004 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: Champion
Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate the fact that you have forwarded my request on to your mother's family. I will try to locate the book you mentioned.
Again, thank you!

Posted: 29 Sep 2004 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2004 1:55AM GMT
Hello, I don't know to much about McRoberts. But my husband was raised there until he was 21 years and then he moved to Weeksbury. Now his familys name was Freddie and Liza Tackett. My husbands name was Rodney. So good luck on your search. and od bless Gayle

Kyle B (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2005 6:05AM GMT
I grew up in McRoberts and could probably help you with some information .. I am 27 yrs old so most of the buildings you are refering to have since been demolished........ but I do know some of the locations......my father attended the grade school.... if you have an interest send an email to kyle_branham@adelphia.net.

gary baldwin (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2005 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: champion
ms s jones I lived in mcroberts and know all the champions
i was tomas,s squad leader in nam for awhile. if you like i,ll send info on whole town and draw maps of every home in
chopping branch let me know how every one is and if you
want info .
i miss home
G.Baldwin

Sharon Jones (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2005 12:57AM GMT
Thank you so much for your kind offer. I would appreciate anything you can send.
As for the Champions, the only ones still living are Del, Helen, Ronald, and Dan. Woodrow died a couple of months ago in a Phoenix nursing home. He'd been very ill for quite some time. Helen still lives in KY (Houstonville), Ronald lives in Dayton with his wife, and I believe Dan still lives in the Covington area. Del lives near Myrtle Beach, SC now, where he & his wife, Dot, happily entertains his children and grandchildren. My mother, Bonnie, died in 1999 of colon cancer. We miss her terribly. Tom died a few years ago, as did Emery (also of colon cancer).
Thank you again for your offer!
Sharon Jones
BeeAReader@msn.com

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 10:51PM GMT
Looking for Gary (scarp iron) Baldwin Of Chopping Branch.David Molner
per page

Find a board about a specific topic