Search for content in message boards

Date Ranges (aka Between, Before, After)

Date Ranges (aka Between, Before, After)

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 3:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
I just converted from a PC to Mac, and my first problem I am having is the sorting of facts. Most of my facts occur during one day, 25-Oct-2012; however, I have facts that occurred during multiple consecutive dates and now they do not sort in chronological order. Please help!
Attachments:

Re: Date Ranges (aka Between, Before, After)

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 6:06PM GMT
I can't see your attachment, do you know how to do a screen shot on a Mac?

Attachments:

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 7:10PM GMT
Here you go :)
Attachments:

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 9:50PM GMT
The prevailing date entry standard, and the one that will give you the least problems and keep your data in chronological order is, (example) 12 Jan 1890.

You can change the date format in the (pull down menu) Family Tree Maker 2 "preferences". Try that and see if that doesn't *right* the chronology.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 10:30PM GMT
I'm curious about how the range dates came to be formatted the way they are.

I'm supposing FTMM is treating your ranged dates as text since they aren't formatted properly--they have a dash between the day and year (Nov-12-2012 instead of Nov-12, 2012.

----Ben Sayer >@<
GenealogyTools.com

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 10:34PM GMT
Still not sure what's going on with the dates. Everything was working fine in FTM 2012 (Windows) but after I converted to Mac, they haven't.

I went ahead of updated my facts. Instead of Military (Jan 1, 2010-Dec 31, 2010), I have Military Enlistment (Jan 1, 2010) and Military Discharge (Dec 31, 2010).

I really liked using date ranges, but for some reason FTMM2 isn't working for me.

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 4:47PM GMT
I'm trying to figure out what went wrong for you and devise a solution because you ought to be able to use date ranges without problem as I do in FTMM2.

It looks like you've changed the preferences for how dates are displayed and possibly entered. Did you do that before you first loaded the file into FTMM2? What are your Dates & Names preferences (a screen shot would be helpful)?

Speaking of migrating your family tree, how did you do it? Did you use the migration tool or go through an Ancestry member tree?

If you customized your date format in FTM 2012 too, what settings did you use?

Would you consider privately sending me your FTM 2012 file so that I can use it to try to work this out?

----Ben Sayer
GenealogyTools.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions