Search for content in message boards

Monaghan Family from Old Connell St, Newbridge Kildare, left ireland early 1930s

Monaghan Family from Old Connell St, Newbridge Kildare, left ireland early 1930s

Posted: 28 Aug 2010 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Monaghan, Kelly, Monahan, Farrell, Parsons, Monihan
Hi
I am looking for information on the Monaghan family. They lived at 3 Old Connell, Newbridge, Kildare on the 1901 and 1911 Census, Father John, Mother Mary (nee Farrell), children Micheal, Mary, Patrick, Francis, Janie, John all born between 1887 and 1903. Mother Mary died 1906 in Kildare. Francis was my grandfather bornin 1st April 1899. Bit of a mystery, he settled in Coventry in the 1930s where he met and married my nana (Eva Parsons), by then he was going by the name Frank Kelly, the monaghan he had dropped. We don't know why all we know is the IRA had told all the families in Old Connell St to leave which I presume is his reason for coming to England. He did serve time in Strangeways in the 1940s for a petty crime but gave his "real" name Frank Monaghan. Any help in tracing the other family members would be great just to try to clear up the name change and what heppened to the rest of them

Re: Monaghan Family from Old Connell St, Newbridge Kildare, left ireland early 1930s

Posted: 10 Sep 2010 3:56AM GMT
The online telephone book for Kildare, has just 17 Monaghan's living in Kildare, none specifically Newbridge, but there are Farrell's do live in Newbridge. What about a few letters to each name and see if anything turns up.

You could try an ad or letter to the editor of a Kildare paper.

Annette Code

Re: Monaghan Family from Old Connell St, Newbridge Kildare, left ireland early 1930s

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 5:10PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 1 Feb 2012 8:24PM GMT

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 6:10PM GMT
Surnames: Monaghan/Monahan
Hello Lorraine, thank you so much for your reply it is great to hear from someone who has a connection to my illusive grandfather. My Grandad was Francis Monaghan (Frank), he was your grandfather Michaels brother then by the sound of it. He married my Nana in 1938 in Coventry under the name of Frank Kelly but when my mum was young he went to Strangeways prison for a short time for a petty crime and when my Nana went to visit him they didn't have anyone under the name of Frank Kelly, just a Frank Monahan. So there the mystery began and my Nana always said she was convinced he had changed his name. My mums sister remembers the IRA being mentioned so we wondered if that was why the name change happened, although we don't know whether it was done legally. Their other brother John (Jack) lived in Manchester, He married a lady called Nellie and they had 3 children, He also went under the surname Kelly so we presume they came to England together. On my Nana and Grandads wedding certificate it states Franks father as deceased but name of John. Can you shed any other light on anything? I would love a copy of John and Marys wedding certificate. I don't think my grandad was a very nice man, I never knew him but I want to know the background and the family history as my mum wants to know her real roots.
I look forward to hearing form you. If you would like my normal email address please let me know.
Many thanks again, Helen

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 12:39PM GMT
Hello Helen
How are you? Please e mail me as I have some information for you.

Lorraine

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 3:56PM GMT
Hi, I have sent you a message via Ancestry.
Thanks, Helen.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions