Search for content in message boards

Wonky "save to tree person(s)" (Beta) forms will become final in February

Wonky "save to tree person(s)" (Beta) forms will become final in February

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 6:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 6:45AM GMT
Since the fields corresponding to Ancestry.com extracts require editing (in my experience) at least 90% of the time, the necessity of an ~**extra click**~ to open the fields for editing is ~not~ making the form "simpler" to use.

Please, people, eliminate the need for that extra click to "edit all fields." Open them up for immediate editing.

Re: Wonky "save to tree person(s)" (Beta) forms will become final in February

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:48PM GMT
Not simpler and induces erroneous clutter in the timeline. Why look at the original document when you can take the fine and accurate transcriptions Ancestry provides?

The Place field is another problem. Auto-memory no longer works in the place field. More steps to achieve the same result is not an improvement.

I used this new review function for an hour before reverting back to the original when it was first released. It's clunky. It doesn't appear Ancestry took any feedback into account. It wasn't ready for prime time when it was first released and isn't now.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:09PM GMT
I totally agree...I hate it! I have given them feedback! We have been asking for database and search issue fixes, story formatting fixes, etc. for years and it seems nothing is ever done, but instead, someone decides it'd be a fantastic idea to tinker with something that does not need fixing. Way to go Ancestry!

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:17PM GMT
I agree it is absolutely awful. It takes way longer to edit everything. Whoever thought up this mess!!!

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT
I got an e mail from Jim Mosher-they don't care whether we like it or not-not in so many words but the gist is the same. We can just lump it!!

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 8:10PM GMT
Tried it...several times. Disliked it...everytime.

ACOM, what ARE you thinking here?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 9:05PM GMT
They are "thinking" that the core posters on these boards are a tiny fraction of their customer base, they mostly talk to each other, and who cares what they think, really.

Ring any bells?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:38PM GMT
Ancestry.com has been leaving out parts of location names from extracts various types of records, and leaving out parts of names in extracts of some.

Perhaps the main purpose is to discourage users from putting that stuff back in. To save server loading while writing the save, and to save storage space? Could it be?

Since they've actually added to what is written to trees from some US Census item extracts, and added the capability of saving a marriage record to a spouse in a few databases that might not have been coded for this already, the cumbersome new interface would not really be saving server loading.

So I see no constructive purpose to the requirement that users click an extra time in order to edit. They should just get rid of this feature. The rest is no real improvement as far as I am concerned.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 7:22AM GMT
I don't post here regularly but have provided feedback on this new feature twice. But it appears that they're not listening or don't care. The extra click and the loss of the auto-suggestions for editing are going to make everything take a lot longer. Don't they want to make their ordinary customers happy?

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 7:36AM GMT
I'm afraid Ancestry is more into clickologists and junkology rather than serious researchers. And in my opinion, when they fix anything, whatever is fixed takes longer to find, extra clicks, extra scrolling, etc. It's really too bad but until some type of serious competition comes along, looks like we are stuck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic