Montgomery's Tavern, York/Toronto, Ontario

Montgomery's Tavern, York/Toronto, Ontario

Joanna (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2003 6:45PM GMT

Re: Montgomery's Tavern, York/Toronto, Ontario

Posted: 22 Feb 2003 3:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2005 5:41AM GMT
Hi Joanna: Montgomery's Tavern was refurbished and had been operating for many years. I presume that it still is.
I use to live in the area and went to Etobicoke C.I. on Montgomery Rd. The tavern was on the South side of Dundas St.
nr. Islington Ave. Lovely stone building with a historical plaque outside.
It is possible that Brentwood Library would have info or if the tavern is still operating you could get in touch with them.
Good Luck

Joanna (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2003 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: MONTOGMERY
Thank you for your reply. You are referring to Montgomery's Inn, which is located at Dundas and Islington. It was operated by Thomas Montgomery, who emigrated from Ireland. To my knowledge there is no connection between Montgomery's Inn and Montgomery's Tavern.

The Tavern I'm looking for was the Sickle and Sheath, commonly known as Montgomery's Tavern. It was located at Yonge & Eglinton and was burned to the ground by the British in 1837 due to the alleged involvement of it's owner, my g.g.g.grand-uncle John Montgomery, with the March on Yong street, a skirmish of the Rebellion of 1837.

I've acquired a lot of information over the last week or two on John and the Tavern. Any information that can be provided on this Tavern or any of John Montgomery's other holdings, in Toronto and Rochester NY, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joanna

Ron Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2003 3:15AM GMT
Hello Joanna

John is my gggg-grandfather. The line I come from is
John ( Tavern)
Dr. John Wilmot
Edward Benjamin
Oliver Barton Sheppard
Ronald Edward Adam
Ronald Oliver Kurt ( Me)

I am very interested in learning more about you and your ancesters

Ron :-)

PS I live in Toronto, Ontario.

Ron Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2003 3:18AM GMT
Wrong Montgomery no relation to John Montgomery of Mackenzie rebellion fame. Post office sits on site of tavern now and there is just a plaque to mark the existance of tavern.

Ron :-)

Joanna (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2003 11:47PM GMT
Surnames: Montgomery
Hi Ron,

Great to hear from you! I sent you an e-mail, but perhaps you did not get it, so I'm putting a reply here on the board. I've only been doing my research for about 5 months, but I am happy to share my findings with you. I am descended from John's brother Richard, the youngest of the Montgomery's, through his daughther Nancy, who married a Quantz in Innisfil. Two of her sisters married Warnica's in Innisfil and at 15 Nancy came to live with one of them. I have her obituary and there are some photos of her on the Innisfil Historical Society's website (you have to do a search for the name "Quantz" to find her). She was called "Black Nancy" because of her very dark hair.

I'm particularly fascinated by your John and have been doing a lot of research on the Rebellion and his "role". Also, my family is originally from Barrie and John died there!

I look forward to corresponding with you and am hoping you have some family stories you could share (about any of the Montgomery's). I'd also be interested in scans/copies of any pics/portraits and documents/papers. Have you been doing your genealogy for long? I am in Mississauga. Please feel free to e-mail me directly at: jpmcmann@pobox.com

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Joanna

P.S. Have you seen the small watercolour of John Montgomery that the Toronto Reference Library has? I saw it a few weeks ago and took a digital photo of it - they are reproducing it for me. Apparently there is another portrait of him at Mackenzie House on Bond Street (haven't got in there to see it yet).

J.

Posted: 7 Sep 2003 2:50AM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2003 2:33AM GMT
Do you know who John, the owner of the Montgomery Tarvern, was married to? Thanks.

Posted: 9 Sep 2003 3:32AM GMT
Which Montgomery Tavern? If you mean John Montgomery's
where short battle was fought in 1837, he had three wives.
In 1837 he was married to Mary Willmott. 2nd marriage
to Elizabeth Lewis and last to Harriet Isabelle Stevens Reid.

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 6:01AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 12:13AM GMT
Hi Florence, John Montgomery that married first to Mary Willmott, do you who their children are? Thanks. Sally

Florence E, Paull (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2004 9:27PM GMT
John had six children with Mary Willmot: Mary Hannah, married a Stoddard; John Willmot Montgomery who was in upper floors of tavern during the short battle; two daughters killed week apart on Yonge Street, Sarah Ann & Eliza Jane (both in 1833); son, Joseph b. 1832 but have no other information on him. Have names of children born later to wives #2 & #3, Also have names of children born to
Dr. John Wilmot Montgomery and a few of his descendants.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions