Search for content in message boards

Ancestry.com, spend some money, buy some more servers, this is too slow!

Ancestry.com, spend some money, buy some more servers, this is too slow!

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 9:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Months and months now, I've been patient, figuring that holiday promotions or something similar had caused a sudden increase in the number of people using ancestry.com, and that they'd soon install more servers to handle the problem. But, little to no improvement has taken place. It's not my ISP's fault. I use ancestry at home, work, and school, places with entirely different ISPs, and have the same problem, uniquely with Ancestry.com.

It just so happens that I know quite a bit about computer networking and computation. I use the OpenStack cloud software, myself. I know that this is very expandable, if the company would just take the time to buy some hardware, configure it, and connect it to the network. With all of the money that thousands of people are paying, why can't this happen? Why is it that the free services around the web perform better than this paid one?

Get on the ball, ancestry. This is one of your many shortcomings. I am addressing this one today because I am pretty sure that it is fixable with a minimum of investment. Go buy $100,000 worth of servers and the problem will be solved.

Re: Ancestry.com, spend some money, buy some more servers, this is too slow!

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 2:48AM GMT
I agree; the site has been especially slow since the holidays. I'm sure many people were given gift memberships or bought DNA test kits as presents. I try to use the site during the day when it might not be as busy, but it seems very slow to move from page to page lately, and we can hardly ever see our DNA match pages now. I hope they will fix it soon!

Re: Ancestry.com, spend some money, buy some more servers, this is too slow!

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 5:14AM GMT
Have to agree. It is becoming NOT fun - when for the past four years I couldn't wait to get off work to start researching. I'm still on every single day, sometimes 15 hours a day, but it slows up so often, that when the task completes, I have to think what the heck was it that I needed to do next?!! I am tired of being told to clear cookies and cache, when the fact is, I use multiple browsers and three different computers. This has been happening since around October, with very little reprise (other sites and my work computer have no problems). Frustrating, and with the money that flows at this company, incredibly unnecessary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions