Search for content in message boards

durham-ellington-compton house/clayton nc

durham-ellington-compton house/clayton nc

joan-marie cummins (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2002 4:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
i am looking for any information on the Durham-Ellington House located in Clayton. The house was orginally owned by Thomas Durham, I am guessing during the Civil War and at some point the Durhams and the Ellingtons swapped homes. any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated

Re: durham-ellington-compton house/clayton nc

robert durham (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 2:10AM GMT
joan
My line also comes through James. He had a son Dawson that was my gg grandfather. I have his bible and a copy of the bible records of a Harry Durham. However I do not know anything of Thomas other than his birth date I would love to pick your brain. Thank you

joan-marie cummins (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 2:41PM GMT
Robert: I have some info that I would love to share. I don't have any info on Dawson other then he was left soem land, but I would love to know some info from your bible recrods. Let me know what kind of info you want and I will pass it along. I am currently waiting for some info from the National Historic Register of NC on the house. The house was owned by James, Dawson's dad, and I have heard about another house in Smithfield that was also owned by James and then Thomas, I am still researching that one. I can forward what inof I find out about the Durham House to you if you like with other info that you are looking for.

looking forward to hearing from you soon

Joan-Marie

robert durham (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 9:42PM GMT
Joan
Thank you for responding. I would love to have any info you have on all of James children and his wife. If you have james will all the better. I believe that I know what happened to some of his children. I have a deed from Pender county with Dawson, Harry, James and what i believe to be a brother in law, of buying a large estate in Rocky Point. I have found Dawson grave site and one of his brothers also. I have Dawsons family bible and a copy of all records in Harry's family bible. I know nothing of the other children. You can e-mail me directly at rsadurham@aol.com Thank You

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 4:31AM GMT
Have you learned anything else? I was looking at the application to award the Clayton downtown area a historical
designation, and when it mentioned the Compton-Ellington house, it said that Harry Durham was the original owner. However, in the obituary area of the Smithfield Herald, it has two Harry Durhams, both from that area and only 3-4 years apart in age.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic