Search for content in message boards

Family History

Family History

Evelyn Bennett Holtzhouser (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett, Ward, Wilson, Neighbors, Dudley, Wright
I am looking for the parents and spouse of Larkin Bennett, born ca 1774 in VA. Brought family from KY to Wayne Co. MO in early 1800's. A son, Coleman Bennett, married Elizabeth Smith. They had twin sons, William and James. William married Mary Jane Ward, daughter of Meshach and Elizabeth Wilson Ward. Perry Coleman Bennett,son of this couple, married Nancy Jane Neighbors and they became my grandparents. Nancy Jane was the daughter of John William Neighbors and Martha Jane Wright Neighbors. The Bennetts and Neighbors families lived in Lost Creek Township near Shook, MO, and are all buried in Wayne County.

Dudley

Brian Bashaw (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dudley
Did your Dudley's ever go to Wayne Co., Missouri?

Dudley

Evelyn Bennett Holtzhouser (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Cynthia Dudley was married to Nathan Neighbors. They were my great great grandparents. They moved to Wayne Co. MO from Coffee Co. TN between 1840 and 1850. She was born in GA, according to census records . There was an Abner Dudley who lived in the same vicinity as the Neighbors in TN, but I have no proof they were related.
Cynthia's husband, Nathan, was born in Laurens Co. SC.
They may have married in AL, since a daughter was born there.

BENNETT

LINDA AQUILLA (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ANDERSON
WILLIAM AND MARY JANE BENNETT HAD TWO SONS: MARION ALEC
AND FREDRICK MESHACK BENNETT.
MARION ALEC MARRIED ADA N ANDERSON AND HAD FOUR CHILDREN
ONE OF THOSE CHILDREN WAS MY GRANDMOTHER RUTH JO BENNETT
I CAN FILL IN THOSE KIND OF BLANKS, NOTHING OLDER.
THE BENNETTS, ANDERSONS, HADDOCKS, ALL LIVED IN WAYNE CO.MO
PLEASE CONTACT ME AND WE CAN SHARE INFO.

BENNETT

LINDA AQUILLA (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT
DO YOU KNOW THE NAMES OF OTHER CHILDREN ?? OR ANY DETAILS
ABOUT THEM? THIS "BRANCH" OF MY FAMILY NEEDS ALOT OF FILLING IN.

Bennett and Andersons

Posted: 22 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2001 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, Neighbors, Ward, Wright, Wilson
Please note address change. Couldn't reach Linda at address listed. Marion Alexander Bennett was one of 9 boys and 2 girls. His mother-in-law is buried at Shook, MO. I did not know her first name. Thanks. Contact me at new address.

Nancy Jane Neighbors

Amy Schwend (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: NEIGHBORS, BAINS
Do you have any info. on John William Neighbor's parents?

I've got a dead end in my family at John Neighbors, b. 1825 in MO, m. Nancy Jane Bains, b. 1849 in IL. Their daughter, Lizzie Ann Neighbors, is my g-grandmother; but I don't have a family group listing her siblings.

Is there any connection here? Could John William be Lizzie Ann's brother -- and named his daughter Nancy Jane Neighbors after his mother/my Nancy Jane Bains?
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2001 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT
Wayne Co. Linda, the BENNETTs, I have discovered, are a hard lot to trace. They are all over the United States! I have been trying to find information on my grandfather, William E. BENNETT. I have no idea where or when he was born. But I do know that he was living in Ft Worth Tx in 1913. I do not know if he and my grandmother ever married, I can't seem to locate a marriage certificate. I have been searching for over two years. Good Luck! Jo L

Bennett's of Wayne County MO

Posted: 22 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2002 1:22AM GMT
Surnames: Hinkle, Barrett, Sanders, McKinney, Thornburg, Thornburgh, Humphrey, Umphrey, Bennett, Deboard
WAYNE and Madison Counties of MO

Evelyn,
I see that this message is around 2 years old but I decided to post here (and probably directly as well). I am trying to pick up the thread of relationship between my HINKLE ancestors and the BENNETT & DEBOARD families. I just had my long dissertation here on that quest dumped because I had used a "unacceptable character in surname" . . . a paren.! I do mean DUMPED as back paging to what I had entered didn't work . . . page elapsed, I think. So excuse my venting my frustration with that as I try to recount again the complicated relationships that I do know and hope someone monitoring this thread may find it rings a bell somewhere!

My great grandfather, Robert P. Hinkle married Margaret Bennett, ca 1876 and together they had eleven children. The eldest (I believe) was Robert Alexander Hinkle. They lived and grew up in the Beulah / Brunot Community of Wayne County near the Madison County line and close to the southwestern corner of Iron County. Towns of DesArc, Piedmont and Greenville were familiar names to the family. Prior to marrying Margaret Bennett, Robert P. Hinkle had married Nellie Humphrey (or Umphrey, as my grandfather always pronounced it) ca 1865. At that time they lived in Ripley County, near Doniphan . . . probably south of Doniphan near the Arkansas line. Nellie Umphrey Hinkle is buried there in an unmarked grave (to my knowledge). There were 3 children of that union; my grandfather, William Wiley (W.W.), Mary 'Sissie' (b. ca 1866) and Joel Francis Hinkle. They grew up having some extremely "lean" years as their mother died when they were very young children. They were, of course, half brothers/sister of the children of Margaret Bennett and Robert P. Hinkle.

Mary 'Sissie' Hinkle married Alexander Bennett and they had at least two children, Robert Monroe (b. 27 Dec. 1895) and Laverta Bennett. It appears that Alexander died early because 'Sissie' remarried Huston (some sources say, David Houston) Deboard before 1900. Together Sissie and Huston had two children; Lola Mae and Maggie Deboard. Lola Mae married Chris. Sullivan and Maggie married a Firebaugh. Huston Deboard had been married previously to Mary Toppins. Together, they also had two children. One of those children was Bertha Aslee Deboard who married one of Robert P. and Margaret Bennett Hinkle's children, Frank Daniel Hinkle. So, you may see that these relationships grew quite complex and a little hard to track.

I have no idea what the relationship was between Alexander Bennett and Margaret Bennett, "Sissie's" step-mother. I have speculated that they may have been brother and sister but I do not know the parents of either. I thought there might be a tie-in between the Alexander Bennett(s) mentioned in the posts to this thread and mine so was hoping someone could help me sort out the complicated relationships in these families. Any information illuminating the Bennett or Deboard line would be greatly appreciated . . . especially relating to who this Alexander and Margaret Bennett were and what their ancestry might have been. Many of these people are buried in the Beulah Baptist Church Cemetary in Madison County.

Ken Hinkle

Pollyann Forrister 1860 census

Posted: 4 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2002 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Ward, Forrister
I am looking for information on Pollyann Forrister shown in the household of Meshack and Elizabeth Ward in the 1860 Wayne County census. What is the connection between Pollyann Forrister and the Ward family? Is this the same Pollyann shown in the 1850 Wayne County census in the household of Patience Smith? There were three Forrister (Forrester) (Foster) girls shown in the 1850 census living in three different households. Polly Ann was living with Patience Smith, Margaret was living in the household of Alfred Smith, Patience's son. Nancy was living in the household of Henry B. Barnhart, also a son of Patience Smith. If anyone has any information on these three girls, I would appreciate the help.
Dale Smith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic