Search for content in message boards

Guardian Angel Boarding School in Oneida

Guardian Angel Boarding School in Oneida

Posted: 9 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Nov 2001 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Zdarstek, Waldyga
Does anyone know about the Guardian Angel Boarding School which was/is in Oneida,Outagamie county? My mother and Zdarstek siblings were put there at an early age.I would like to know where it is and something about it. Please email me if you know anything at all about it.Thanks

Guardian Angels Boarding School

Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2001 4:15AM GMT
Surnames: Heenan, Garvey, Gilles, Roerig, Roehrig
Franciscan Sisters from Manitowoc worked at Guardian Angels. The Green Bay diocesan archives may have some information too.

Re: Guardian Angel Boarding School in Oneida

gerald w fischer (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2002 1:14AM GMT
Now called the Norbert Hill Center and belongs to the Oneida Tribe. Probably you should contact the bishop in Green Bay Wis

Posted: 1 May 2010 3:54PM GMT
my father and his siblings were there in the 40s. he took me there to see it as a child. it is located west of green bay on the oneida reservation. i am also looking for information about the school. my uncle wrote a book about their experiences there and my dad has shared many stories over the years. i am specifically looking for a overview shot of the property...

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 12:09AM GMT
I also wrote a book about Guardian Angel. I and my 3 brothers went there for 4 plus years, 1948-1952. It is at Bosses book store in Green Bay, probably right next to your uncles. If you were to purchase my book you would also get a CD with about 145 pictures on it of GABS. There is a view from above in his book on page 22.
Dan Williams
danzhere@hotmail.com
07/05/2010

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 12:57AM GMT
I too am seeking more info about the boarding school both my father and his brother went there. I heard that a book was written about it and I am trying to find this book.

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 2:04AM GMT
I would love to read your book. My mother and her sister attended the school. We went to Wisconsin to find the school before mom died in 1994. Mom was pretty sure the building we found was once her school.

I think I remember mom talking about the Zdarstek sisters. My mom was Nathalie Jean and everyone called her Jean. Her sister's name was Shirley.

Thanks,
Chris Halsten

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 2:11AM GMT
I could be wrong, but I think my mom talked about the Zdarstek sisters (twins maybe)that were at the school when she and her sister were there.

Mom passed away in 1994, but I remember her saying what truly nice girls the Zdarstek sisters were and how she felt so very sorry for them, because no one ever came to see them even at Christmas. Mom said, she was very lonely, but she had her sister Shirley with her and she went home on visits sometimes.
That's about all I know.

Chris Halsten - Nathalie Jean Freeman's daughter

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 2:35PM GMT
hello- my uncle was the author, Ken Keyser. the title is Kids of the Guardian Angel Boarding School. It is a somewhat controversial book written from my uncle's memories and a fairly traumatic childhood. My dad is not pleased with how some of what happened is dipicted. i was able to find pictures of the buildings during the time that it was a boarding school via Oneida Museum. I had these framed and gave them to my dad for Christmas. His memories of the experience are mainly fond and happy. he took me there once when i was a child...i still live only 30 min from there. deanne keyser

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 7:38PM GMT
Thank you Deanne. I will try to find the book. My mom didn't have a lot of happy memories of the school. Actually, I always wondered why she had so few memories of a school she was at for several years. I have to assume they were not happy years, but how could they be happy when you have no mother or father there to love you.

My seven brothers & sisters and I were very lucky that mom loved all of us and took very good care of us. She said, her mom had to leave her and her sister at Guardian Angel school, because she was a single mom and couldn't take care of them.

Thanks again,
Chris Halsten
per page

Find a board about a specific topic