Search for content in message boards

Illinois Protestant Children's Home Chicago

Illinois Protestant Children's Home Chicago

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Dec 2011 4:23AM GMT
I would like to correspond with anyone who lived in the Illinois Protestant Children's Home on Ellis Avenue in Chicago. reply directly at s-sowell@earthlink.net.

Re: Illinois Protestant Children's Home Chicago

Posted: 29 Jul 2011 4:08PM GMT
Have just found this query in Internet. I was at this home in the 1940's, along with my two older sisters. Our last name was Vertucci. I was 5 yrs old at the time. Have tried to find some history of this home and have had no luck. Remember it as being a mansion. We moved there from a different locaation on s. Oakenwald avenue. Many objections from neighbors on Ellis Ave. so we had to move in at night. What is your name and what years were you there? Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 29 Jul 2011 10:11PM GMT
Hi - My siblings & I were there for 8 yrs starting Jan 1955. Most of us "kids" who passed thru IPCH are well into our 50's thru 80's now. I would love to follow up with you via e-mail. Please contact me at s-sowell@earthlink.net.

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 12:58AM GMT
My sisters and I were at IPCH in the 1940's. We left in 1948. Doesn't appear that we were there at the same time. Do you remember Tommy (Ms. Thomas) or Mom Budd? Were you aware of the infamous history of the mansion occupies by the children's home? It was the home of Richard Loeb, who, with Leopold, murdered a 14 yr. old boy in the neighborhood. It was called the crime of the century and they were defended by Clarence Darrow. We were never aware of this, since the murder took place in 1924. The mansion was razed in the 1970's.

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
I am looking for any information regarding my father and uncle who resided in a Chicago or Chicago area orphanage during the early 1900;s. My father's name was John AlbertCampbell and my uncle's name was Wesley Campbell. They were from Dale, Illinois. Wesley was oldest, killed in France about 1920 in WWII. Wonder if he was married.

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
I am looking for any information regarding my father and uncle who resided in a Chicago or Chicago area orphanage during the early 1900;s. My father's name was John AlbertCampbell and my uncle's name was Wesley Campbell. They were from Dale, Illinois. Wesley was oldest, killed in France about 1920 in WWII. Wonder if he was married.

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 11:25PM GMT
Alice, The IPCH in Chgo was not operating in the early 1900's, so your father & uncle weren't there. Most orphanages were run by religious organizations in the late 1800's & early 1900's. I think you must have more info in order to find the right institution to begin your search. Was your father raised a Catholic or Lutheran or .... ? North side, South Side? Also, WWI was over by 1920.

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
I James p smith,jean smith and William smith were in the home about 1955,1956 when we left.I was about 10 years old jean about 7 years and my younger brother about 4. We remember Mrs Budd , a guy who we called Willie and a nice lady named Florence the cook.we all three are alive and made it back to our Mother Dorothy who worked in Hyde Park in Chicago. I live in Oklahoma , my sister in Indiana and brother in Rockford Illinois. If you want more details on the Home , which is gone , write the Chicago Historical Society . I have articles from the Chicago Tribune with March dates of the 17 , 29 1962, where it was told to close due to poor care of the approximate 40 children .I remember a family of three named , last VanHook. Send me your memories ,James a survivor!

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 4:28AM GMT
Rootsweb is too cumbersome to use. my e-address is s-sowell@earthlink.net.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 7:13PM GMT
Hello My name is Nicholas Mallick. i am sry to jump into this conversation late but i was wondering if you knew a Henry Mallick. he was in the home in the 40's. i would really apprecriate any information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions