Search for content in message boards

Selma M Severson nee Butterfield Need help please!

Selma M Severson nee Butterfield Need help please!

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 5:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Butterfield/Severson
I am writing this note to see if maybe a new set of eyes can help me with a major problem in my family tree. I have a grandaunt that was named Selma Mathilda Severson, the daughter of Zachrias and Mary Severson. She married a Harrison Clark Butterfield on 9/18/1910. She died just ten years later at the young age of 33....here is all I could find in the Eau Claire Leader on Ancestry.com:

Eau Claire Leader Telegram:

Butterfield Mrs. Harry 1920-08-07 Dies at age 33 leaving four small children. 601 Lake. This is the Severson home that was on the corner of 6th Avenue and Lake Street. It was torn down by my grandparents when they built 618 6th Avenue.

So she died at home shortly after giving birth to a still born baby that was delivered on July 27, 1920. I will now tell you what I have noted about finding a death cert for Selma...

"I have twiced looked thru all of the death records in Eau Claire and there is no Death Certificate for Selma. But, the baby that died 7/27/1920, was still born and it stated on it's death certifcate ( which it is not suppose to have) "stillborn 6 1/2 months born premature due to inflmatory process in the abdomen." It had to be Selma's abdomen, they did not do a autopsy on stillborns. She had to have died at the sme time. "

So there was a DC for this baby, but not her....also her first born was vigilant about going to her grave on her birthday, he told his family that he went to see her on her birthday as a grown man ( do not know the year) and the "grave was gone" . He supposedly told his family that they had resold the plot. I am double checking which cemetery he went to. There is a blank space by her husband Harrison Butterfield, in Forest Hills Cemetery, but I have yet to find if she is listed being buried there. I do know that where her parents are buried in Lake View ....her husband was known to be extremely abusive.....I am looking for any info on where she was buried, which funeral home took care of her...etc....it seems a real shame that there is no final info on this poor woman. Thank you very much! Sandy

Only census where she is married:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Selma M Butterfield
Name: Selma M Butterfield
[Selma M Severson]
Home in 1920: Eau Claire Ward 7, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Spouse's Name: Harry C Butterfield
Father's name: S Severson
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
S Severson 78 ( Zachrius/Sacrius)
Fridtahof Severson 22
Harry C Butterfield 32
[22]
Selma M Butterfield 32 *****************
Sevren D 11
Beverly D Butterfield 4
[4 4/12]
Margary G Butterfield 2
[2 4/12]
Harriet C Butterfield 1
[1 4/12]

Re: Selma M Severson nee Butterfield Need help please!

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 6:46AM GMT
Surnames: severson
is Zachrias related to Thomas Severson (5 aug 1858-16 oct 1909)?

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: Severson
Hi
No...there is no Thomas in his line, and as far as the people who helped me find his family in Norway, he was the obly sibling to come to America....sorry....Sandy

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 7:00PM GMT

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 3:12PM GMT
Sandy- what church did the family belong to in Eau Claire? The closest in this area are either First Lutheran Church or Grace Lutheran. Lake Street Methodist is also a few blocks away. You might also try Lenmark-Gomsrud-Linn Funeral home for records. At the time you are looking, it would have been just Lenmark's or Lenmark and Son. Seems like quite a few Norwegian's used their services. The funeral home is still in service today.
For the death certificate, did you check under her maiden name? I know that isn't usual, but who knows. Was this a child stillbirth with midwife or physician? What was the hospital or was the infant's death at home. What was the cemetery used on the infant's certificate if that was filled in.
I think looking for a church record might be your best option. One more Norwegian Lutheran church would have been Our Savior's Lutheran. All the churches I mentioned are still in operation and have records going back this far and further.
Good luck,
Anita Reid

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Severson/Butterfield
Anita,
I went to Find A Grave one day and there was her obit! She had died from a appendectomy, she lost the baby just two weeks before she died...so so sad....most of my grandmother's siblings had hard hard lives...I did contact Tina at Lennmark's, she sent me her funeral info...by the way she is great! Never charges a dime! Thanks for asking....

Sandy Burgess McClay

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 7:31PM GMT
Glad you answered your questions. And, I grew up two blocks away from the Severson house. Remember it well.
Anita

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Severson/Butterfield
Anita,

I remember you telling me that you knew my Aunt Rosemary and he daughter Julie! Thanks again!

Sandy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions