Search for content in message boards

Charles Gosnell, died c. 1805

Chick Gosnell (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gosnell
Searching for any additional information on Charles Gosnell, born in Baltimore, Md, abt. 1736, son of Peter Gosnell and Anna Hammond, and died c. 1805 in SC, presumably in Greenville County. Children were Joshua, Nicholas, Peter, Morris, and Charles, Jr. He was married c. 1755, but the only name I have at this time is possibly Ellen (?). Thanks for any response.

Charles Gosnell- d. abt. 1805

Chick Gosnell (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gosnell
The information I have on Charles'approx. date of death is from a distant relative in N.C. who has done a complete family tree from William (b. abt. 1630) on down, so I have no direct documentation on date of death, although I have located him and 4 sons in 1800 census, and only the same 4 sons are shown in 1810 census (Greenville County). The name of his mother is in question, as I have seen two sources, one as Anna Hammond, and one as Anne Shipley, both showing the same children. I have no background information on either, but one reply I have had to inquiries indicated that the first person buried at St. Thomas Garrison Church in Baltimore County, Md., is listed as "Mistress Gosnell", and may well have been Peter's wife, as he was very active in that church. At the present time, this is all I have. I am Charles' fifth great-grandson through his son Joshua. Thanks for your response.

Carroll Pitman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Pitman, Gosnell
You probably already have this info: On 21 Sep 1792, Charles Gosnell received a grant of 166 acres on the north and south forks of Morgans Creek, a tributary of the North Pacolet River, in Greenville Co., SC. My last reference to him in Greenville Co., SC, was the 1800 census.
Can you give me the source of information of death circa 1805? Also would like to know source of mother Anna Hammond.
Charles is both my fourth and fifth great-grandfather
Thank you.

Re: Charles Gosnell- d. abt. 1805

Geraldine haggard (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2004 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Dryman Gosnel
What can you tell me about the children of charles' son Nicholas? I found Jessie, latison , and Meriday in the 1850 greene county Tenn census. I alos found Melissa Gosnell Dryman and her family living next to meriday and his family. Both Meriday and dDryman are listed as blacksmiths. Melissa has a small son in the census that she named
Meriday Dryman. this makes me think that she and meriday might be siblings. melissa was born in 1815 (NC?) What do you know about girls that would have been Nicholas's and Kexiah Senter's?Melissa is my gggrandmother

Elaine Tillery (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: Gosnell / Basinger
Hello, Charles. Elaine Tillery here.

I just stumbled upon your posts. Melissa Gosnell is also my ggggrandmother. What can you share with me regarding her parents names? All I are birth, marriage, and death year ranges. Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Elaine

Geraldine Haggard (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 11:09PM GMT
melissa's daughter (who was a baby when Melissa married Abraham Dryman) married John Walker Lankford,, They became the parents of John W. the 2nd, who became my grandfather, I will send you the infoo I have collected and summarized for my children and others in the family. I have two possible fathgers for melissa, Nicho;las or Jessie. I know that jessie was the son of jessie, but Nidholas married several times.

Elaine Tillery (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2006 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Gosnell / Basinger
Thank you for replying. The information that you have shared about Melissa is wonderful. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions