Search for content in message boards

O'Gara

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Gara
Looking for information on John O'Gara in this area @1844-1885. John and Sarah (Donoghue) had many children, some were born in Canada. They children went to Michigan in 1882 and then settled in Chicago where Sarah & the children show up on the 1900 census. Their children born in Canada were Bernard, Anne,Patrick, Elizabeth, Matthew, Mary Elizabeth.
John came to Canada with his parents John & Catherine (Milarkey) O'Gara, sisters Margaret, Elizabeth & Bridget. Please help me with info if you have it.
Thank you.

Re: O'Gara

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 8:24AM GMT
1881 census www.familysearch.org

Cataraqui Ward, Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario

OGARRA
John, 87, b Ireland
Catherine, 92, b Ireland
Both Catholic

I cannot find John and Sara on Canada or US 1881 census. Perhaps they were on the move.

1851 census Pittsburg, Frontenac County, Canada West [Ontario]
Census was actually taken in 1852. Ages are age at next birthday.

OGAR
John, farmer, Ireland, 50
Catherine, Ireland, 50
John, laborer, Ireland, 15
Bridget, Ireland, 13
Ann, Canada, 11
Margaret, Canada, 7
Elizabeth, Canada, 5

Just picked up one more sister.
From children's birth dates, they immigrated 1838-1841.

John O'Gara
Event: Living
Year: 1844
Province: Ontario
County: Frontenac
Place: Kingston
Comments: Stonemason.
Source: Catholic Population of the Mission of Kingston, 1844 Census, Ontario Genealogical Society, Kingston Branch, 1979.
Volume/Page: 12
Note: The province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occured.

1871 census
Name: John O'Garra
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Birth Place: Ireland

Residence District: Frontenac
Residence Location: Howe Island, Pittsburgh
Ethnic Origin: Irish
Religion: Roman Catholic
Division: 3
Microfilm Roll: C-9999
Page: 66
Head of Household Comment: This person is listed as a head of household.

1871 is head of household index only. To see the family you have to order the film either from your local library or LDS library.

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 1:13PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. I have the census's from Canada, what I'm looking for is the information on John & Catherine. I have baptismal registries info that lists her maiden name as Milarkey, Millarkeym Malarghy, as you see, various spellings. Also have a marriage registry for John & Sarah that lists John from Co. Mayo. I have a burial for a John O'Gara in 1885 so I'm thinkng that's John's father but nothing for Catherine. I was hoping to find the ship they came on so and death records so I can find where In Ireland they came from. I'm at a dead end there.
Thank you for your information and help.

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 6:56PM GMT
Posted: 8 Apr 2008 7:24PM GMT
I tried that site & this other site www.ingeneas.com/free/main.html
I'm not successful finding when & what ship. I've been at this family search for 25 yrs. My post was to maybe hopefully find someone in the family who may have stayed there or have someone read this who may have traced their family back to this family.
Thanks for your response.

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 8:33PM GMT
Have you tried leaving a message on an Ireland message board?
I will keep my eye out for the name.
Posted: 8 Apr 2008 9:44PM GMT
Thanks, I haven't looked for an Ireland message board for geneology. All the ones I've seen are kind of like blogs and I'm not a blogger. I guess in the year frame that they came over the ship records were not kept very good in Canada from Ireland. I don't know if any went to New York then to Canada. I know they went to New York from Canada.
Thanks for your help.

Posted: 5 May 2008 5:03PM GMT
Just a suggestion. I am from the Kingston area and know many Garrah families from Kingston and Gananoque. This may be the variation to O'Gara.

Good luck.
Posted: 5 May 2008 5:18PM GMT
Garrah is a variant to O'Gara. I guess that's my next search, thank you.

Posted: 5 May 2008 6:19PM GMT
Still looking around for you. This from Ancestry.ca

The Catholic mission is probably St Mary's Cathedral.

Name: Catherine Ogara
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Birth Place: Ireland

Residence District: Kingston
Residence Location: Cataraqui Ward
Ethnic Origin: Irish
Religion: Roman Catholic
Microfilm Roll: C-10000
Page: 96
Head of Household Comment: This person's surname is different than the head of household surname.

Name: Michael O'Gara
Event: Living
Year: 1844
Province: Ontario
County: Frontenac
Place: Kingston
Comments: Teacher.
Source: Catholic Population of the Mission of Kingston, 1844 Census, Ontario Genealogical Society, Kingston Branch, 1979.
Volume/Page: 9
Note: The province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occured.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic