Search for content in message boards

Preston and Mineral Co., WV Watkins

Preston and Mineral Co., WV Watkins

Posted: 19 Nov 2004 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watkins, Shaffer
I am looking for info on Alcinda Watkins b. 2-25-1832 in Tunnelton WV and d. 7-10-1900 in Elk Garden WV. She married Issac Shaffer b. 10-12-1831 in Tunnelton d. 5-26-1894 in Elk Garden. They were my gggggrandparents.

Any info would be great

Thank You
Stephanie Shaw

Re: Preston and Mineral Co., WV Watkins

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 11:53PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2005 1:29AM GMT
There is more....Willing to trade info distant cousin!

Descendants of Stephen Watkins

Generation No. 1

1. STEPHEN1 WATKINS was born Abt. 1753, and died February 12, 1838 in Monongalia, County, W.Va.. He married (1) FRANCES WARNAM. He married (2) ALICE WOODWARD. He married (3) SARAH WILSON June 25, 1804 in Monongalia, County,(W).Va., daughter of GEORGE WILSON. She was born Abt. 1777, and died August 13, 1855 in Taylor County, (West) Virginia.

Notes for STEPHEN WATKINS:
Served Revolutionary War as a private in the Maryland line.

1790 Census of Maryland
Prince Georges County (Page 98)

Watkins, Stephen; 1 Free Male of 1 years and upward, including head of household, 3 Free white males under 16years, 4 Free white females including heads of familes, and one slave.

Supposedly married three times according to Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) records and born about 1753. Three wives are Francis Warnam, Alice Woodward and Sarah Miller. Date of death is given as 2-12-1838 by DAR.

Marriage recorded in Marriage Bond Records Monongalia County (West) Virginia 1796-1850
Compiled by Jacob's Meadow, Route 3 Box 409, Fairmont, WV, 26554

Page 5

Date & Groom Bride Daughter of Bondsman

June 25, 1804
Stephen Watkins Sarah Miller George Wilson Nimrod Evans

1810 Census
Index to the 1810 Census Virginia Census
Heads of Family Listed in the Third Census of the United States
Compiled by Madeline W. Crickard
Printed by McClain Printing Company, Parsons, W.Va. 1971
Page 181, Monongalia County Census, The following are found;
Wadkins, William
Watkins, James
Watkins, John
Watkins, Stephen

Reference Letter found in his Pension File (NO. W25852) from service in the Reveloutionary War. A letter from a Mr. J.C. Watkins in Kanawha Falls, West Virginia had been sent from him to the National Archives concerning the file. The Assistant to the Adminstrator sent back the following letter.

"Dear Sir,

Reference is made to your letter in which you request the Revolutionary War record of Stephen Watkins, of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, and after the war moved to Monongalia County, Virginia. His record as follows as found in the papers on file in pension claim, W. 25852, based upon his service in the Revolutionary War.

The date and place of soldier's birth and names of his parents are not shown.

Stephen Watkins enlisted in May, 1776, in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, served as private in Captain Jonathan Sellman's company, Colonels Smith's and Hall's 4" Maryland Regiment, was in the battles of Long Island, White Plains, and Monmouth, and was discharged May 20, 1780.

He was allowed a pension on his application executed June 22, 1818, at which time he was aged about sixty-five years and a resident of Monongalia County, Virginia, where he was still living in 1820.

The soldier died February 12, 1838, at his residence on Booth's Creek in Monongalia County, Virginia.

Stephen Watkins married June 26, 1804, Sarah Miller, in Monongalia County, Virginia, where the marriage was recorded in the County Clerk's Office.

Soldier's widow, Sarah Watkins, was allowed pension on her application executed July 11, 1854, at which time she was aged seventy-six years and residing about five miles from the county seat of Taylor County, Virginia. In 1855 she was still residing in Taylor County, Virginia. She died August 13, 1855.

In 1820 the following children of Stephen Watkins were referred to: James aged sixteen, Frances aged fifteeen years, Arthur aged thirteen years, thomas aged ten years, Stephen aged eight years, Gasway aged six years and Hannah aged three years.

In 1854, one Brice G. Watkins was a resident of Taylor County, Virginia, relationship to the family not stated. (Compiliers Note: Could this be Gasway?or Brison, son of Stephen W.?)

In the same year, Margaret O. Miller, and George Miller acted as witnesses in the pension claim of soldier's widow, Sarah, their relationship not stated.

In 1855, George Miller and Elizabeth Miller acted as witnesses for soldier's widow, Sarah, relationship to her not known.

Very truely yours

A. D. Hiller
Assistant to Administrator"

According to pension file: Auditor General of Maryland indicates he served 2years, 10 months

Compilers Note: The name of the bride, Sarah Miller, indicates she most likely was married before and now is remarrying.

Pension File Note:" Virginia Roll of Monong. Co. in the state of Virginia who was a private in the regiment commanded by Colonels Smith and Halls the Maryland line for the term of four years. Inscribed on the Roll of Virginia at the rate of 8 Dollars per month to commence on the 22 of June, 1818. Certificate of pension issued the 7 of Sept. 1820 and sent to Thomas P. Ray agent Morgantown, Virginia. Arrears to 4th of Sept. 1820 $241.46, Semi anul ending 4 March 1821 48.00. Total 259.46. Revolutionary Claim Act 18th March 1818 and 1st May 1820."

From the Stephen Watkins Pension File:

"Virginia

Be it remembered that at a court held for the County of Monogalia, at the Courthouse of the said county, on monday the 22nd day of June in the year One thousand, eight hundred, and eighteen, personally appeared Stephen Watkins, aged about sixty-five, resident of said county of Monongalia, who being sworn on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God, before the said court, doth on his oath make the following declaration for the purpose of obtaining the benfit of the provisions of a late act of Congress entitiled "an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the Land and Naval service of the United States in the Revolutionary war. That he the said Stephen Watkins enlisted as a sdoldier in Annarundel county State of Maryland about May 1776 under Capt. Jonathan Selman of the United States troops and joined the army at Annapolis in the 4th regiment under Col. Smith and Hall in the second Brigade of the Maryland line under Genl. Gist. that he then marched to New York, was in the battle of Long Island in August 1776 and the battle of white plains in the same year. that he was also in the battle of Mommouth and continued in the Regular Service until he was discharged at West Point in May 1780. that he has lost his discharge, that he is not well able to support himself by labour, being much disabled, and has no land, and therefore _____ in need of the aid of his country for support.

And it is ordered to be certified that it appears to the satisfaction of this court, that the said Stephen Watkins did serve in the Revolutionary War, against the common enemy as stted in the proceeding declaration for the term of four years on the continental establishment, and thatthe said Stephen Watkins is unable to support himself, and is in absolute need of the assistance of his country for support and transmit the proceeding taken before this court, to the Secretary of the Department of War."

"Testimony of the foregoing being a correct extract from the aforesaid court. I, Nimrod Evans, clerk of the said court have here unto set my hand and affixed the seal of the said court at Morgan town the 13th of June A.D. 1820 and A.D. year of the commonwealth.

N. Evans C of C"

Pension File Note:" Virginia,

Be it remembered, that at a County court held in and for the county of Monongalia, at the courthouse of the said county on Tuesday the 27th of June, in the year of 1820, personally appeared in open court, (being a court of record, which proceed according to the course of the common law, with a juresdication unlimited in point of amount, keeping a record of it's proceedings) Stephen Watkins, aged upwards of sixty seven years, resident of said county, who being first duly sworn according to law; doth on his oath declare, that he served in the Revolutionary war as follows. That he was enlisted as a private soldier, in the state of Maryland, Annarundal county, about the month of May 1776 by Capt. Jonathan Sellman, of the United States troops and joined the army at Annapolis in the 4th regt. under Coln Smith and Hall in the second Brigade of the Maryland line under Genl. Gist. that he then marched to New York, was in the battle on Long Island in August 1776 in the battle of the White plains in the same year, and in the battle of Mommouth courthouse and continued in the Regular service until he was dischargedat West Point in May 1780, that he kept his discharge a long time, but has lost it, taking no particular case of it, Supposing that it never would be of any use to him, and he has no other evidence in his power of his said service, that he made a declaration in order to obtain the provisions of the act of Congress of the 18th of March 1818, before the aforesaid court on the 22 of June in the year 1818.

And I do solemnly swear, that I was a resident citizen of the United States on the 18th of March 1818, and I have not since that time by gift, sale, or in any manner disposed of my property, or in any part thereof, with intent thereby so to diminishit, as to bring myself within the provisions of an act of Congress entitled An act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and navel service of the United States in the Revolutionary War, prposed on the 18 of March 1818, and I have not nor has any person in trust for me, any property or securities, contracts, or debts due to me nor have I any income, other than what is contained in the following schedule and by me subscribed towit:

One Coll____two plows and gears
3 hoes_____two axes
four pewter plates and a few dishes
( except indifferent beds + wearing apprarel)

his
(signed) Stephen X Watkins
mark

That he has no trade or occupation by which he is enabled to support himself, that he lives upon a small piece of land near Laurel hill, the property of Wm G Payne, that the following are the names and ages of his wife and children living with him Sarah Watkins aged 43 years James 16 years, Frances 15 years, Arthur 13 years, Thomas 10 years, Stephen 8 years, Gasway 6 years, and Hannah 3 years. that he finds it extremely difficult to find bread for so many young children; that he is very poor indeed and in very indigent circunstances, that for several years past he is fast declining, that at present he is scarcely able to walk a few miles that he has a few neighbors, who have for two years past very much contribute to his support, and to those he has promised payment under the expectation of getting the reward, which the government has so liberally bestowed upon the faithful Revolutionary soldier.

Sworn to and declared on the day and year aforesaid County court of Monongalia"

From the Stephen Watkins Pension File:

"Virginia
I, Nimrod Evans, clerk of the county court of Monongalia, do certify, That the foregoing oath and the schedule there to annexed, are truely copies from the said court, and I do further certify that it is the opinion of the said court, that the total amount of value of the property, exhibited in the aforesaid schedule is fourty-three dollars 25 cents.

In testimony whereof I have here unto set my hand, and do affix the seal of the said court at Morgantown, the 28th of June in the year 1820 and A.D. year of the Commonwealth.
N. Evans
Clk. Ct. C. of Mong."

Notes for SARAH WILSON:

May be her second marriage.

Marriage recorded in Marriage Bond Records Monongalia County (West) Virginia 1796-1850

Page 5

June 25, 1804

From Sarah Watkins Rev. War Widow Pension File

Declaration of Mrs. Sarah Watkins widow of Stephen Watkins deceased for Revolutionary Pension under the Act of February 3rd 1853 or any other under which she may be entitled

State of Virginia
County of Taylor}ss

On this 18th day of July 1854 personally appeared before me Harmon Sonsell presiding Justice for the County of the county and State above named, Sarah Watkins a resident of Taylor county in the state of Virginia aged 76 years, who being first duly aworn according to law, doth, on her oath, make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefits of the provision made by the Act of Congress passed Feb. 3rd, 1853 granting pensions to widows of persons who served during the revolutionary war. That she is the widow of "Stephen Watkins who was a solder in the Revolutionary War & who drawed a pension for a number of years before his death. I think the full pension for him was drawn by Thomas P. Ray and after the decease of Ray was drawn by George McNeely, both of Morgantown, Monongahalia County Va."
[act of 1818-page 82 , printed Roll]

She further declares that she was married to the said Stephen Watkins on the 26th day of she thinks may A.D. one thousand eight hundred and four at the house of Thomas Wells in Mongehalia Co. Va., by one Rev. Manley a preacher that her name before she was married was (_____ Maiden name) and that her husband, the aforesaid Stephen Watkins died on Booths creek Mongahalia Co. Va. on the 12 th day of she thinks February A.D. 1839 and that she has remained a widow since the death of her said husband.

HER
Sarah Watkins X {SEAL}
MARK
Margaret O Miller
George Miller

Sworn to and subscribed before me and in my presence this 18th day of July A. D. 1854

Harmon Sinsel Presiding
Justice for the County Court
of Taylor County

"State of Virginia, County of Taylor} ss

On this 11th day of July A. D. 1854 personally appeared before me a Justice of the Peace in and for the County and State aforesaid, Mrs. Sarah Watkins a resident of the County and State aforesaid, aged seventy-six years, who being duly sworn according to Law, doth on oath Make the following declaration in order to obtain the benfit of the provision made by the act of Congress, passed on the 3rd day of February 1853, Granting pensions to widows of persons who served during the Revolutionary War; That she is the widow of Stephen Watkins who was a private i ---company----regiment in the revolutionary war. The time and place her husband Entered and left the Service, the names and rank of the officers under _____ her said husband performed----rendered service she does not recolect, all of which will fully appear by referance to the papers filed with the application of her said husband for pension under act of congress of 18th March 1818. That her said husband was revolutionary pensioner of United States under the act aforesaid; and ____ she am _____of her said pension up to the last semianual payment before his death. She further declares that she was married to the said Stephen Watkins on the 26th day of June 1804, Eighteen hundred and four, that her said husband died at his residence in Monongalia County, Virginia on the 12th day of February 1839; that she was not married ti him prior to the second day of January eighteen hundred but at the time above stated, she further declares that she is now a widow.

Testi.
her
Jacob Hull Sr.? Sarah X Watkins"
George Miller mark

"Washinton City 31 July 1854

Hon. L. P. Waldo,
Commissioner of Pensions,
Sir:

In the Case of Sarah Watkins, of Virginia, for Revolutionary Pension under the act of 3 Feb. 1853, as the widow of Stephen Watkins, as the widow of Stephen Watkins a pensioner under the Act of 1818 at $96 per year; please find enclosed, a certificate of the clerk of Monongalia Co. Va. that Stephen Watkins and Sarah Miller were married on the 26th June 1804; by Robert Manley a minister of the Gospel. Also a certificate of the same clerk showing that Stephen Watkins died on 12 February 1838 and that Sarah was his widow. Also the affidavits of David Kinkaid and Isaac McDaniel proving the identity and continued widowhood of the claimant. I also send you herewith a letter from G. E. Jarvis Esq. to me, showing that by the ignorance of the family and the absence of all records for their guidance, the widow made the mistake in her declaration of precisely a month in the date of her marriage and precisely a year in the date of her husband's death, such an error as may be innocently commited by any person. It will be most convenient for the widow to collect her pension at Wheeling Va. as she resides near the Baltimore & Ohio Rail Road.
Very Respectfully, Your Obt. St.
Charles C. Tucker"

"Know all men by these Present, that I, Sarah Watkins of the County of Taylor and State of Virginia do herby constitute and appoint Chas. C. Tucker, of Washington D. C., my true and lawful agent and attorney, for me and in my name to prepare and prosecute my claim for a Revolutionary Pension by reason of the service of my deceased husband; and I herby empower my said attorney to examine all records and documents in reference to said claim on file in the Departments at Washington, to file additional evidence and arguments and to do all lawful acts and things whatsoever touching the premises, with full power of substitution. Hereby revoking and countermanding all former power of attorney that may have been given by me for the above specified purpose. With my hand and seal this 18th day of July, 1854
Her
Sarah Watkins X SEAL
MARK

State Of Virginia County of Taylor}ss

On this 18th day of July 1854 personally appeared before me, Sarah Watkins and acknowledged the foregoing power of attorney to be her act and deed for the purposes therein mentioned. and I further certify that Sarah Watkins who signed the foregoing declaration is a very helpless old lady and that she is not able to appear in court it being some five miles from the place of residence to the county seat of said county and I further certify that I am not interested in the results of this claim.

Harmon Sinsel, Presiding Justice of the County Court of Taylor County."

" The _______ foregoing declaration of Sarah Watkins was sworn to and subscribed before me on this 11th day of july 1854 and I hereby certify I will _____ (word may be: know) Sarah Watkins the _____ applicant, and from bodily infirmity--being old and afflicted with rhumatism, so as to be almost helpless & has been so afflicted for a number of years, and therefore is unable to attend court. She has not been able to go out of her yard for the last 10 (or 18) years.

Given under my hand this 11th Day of July 1854
Jacob Hull J.P.

Know all Men by these present, That Sarah Watkins of Taylor County Va. do hereby Constitute and appoint ________ of Clarksburg Va. to be my attorney ( with power of substitution) to prosecute to a Conclusion this my claimit pension revoking all former power of attorney given by me, satisfying all that they may carefully do in the premise.
her
Sarah X Watkins
mark
Test;
Jacob Hull J.P.
George Miller} The said party Sarah Watkins this day acknowleged before me the above power of attorney to be her act and deed for the purpose therein mentioned.
Given under my hand this 11th day of July 1854
Jacob Hull J.P."

" Virginia County of Taylor} to Wit.

On this day 12th day July 1854 personally appeared before me a Justice of the Peace in and for the County & State aforesaid, Brice G. Watkins also of said County & State to me well known to be a man of credability, who being sworn according to law made oath That he well knew Stephen Watkins deceased, that he died at his residence in Monongalia County Va. on the 12th day of February 1839, (or about that time) and left a widow Sarah Watkins ( whose application for pension this accompanies) and that she has remained his widow ever since the death of her said husband.

His
Brice G. X Watkins
Mark

Test;
Jacob Hull J.P.
Jedediah Sayre

Sworn to and subscribed before me on the day and year above written.

Jacob Hull J.P.

Virginia Taylor County towit :
I Adopheus Armstrong Clerk of the County Court of Taylor County in Virginia do hereby certify that Jacob Hull who has made and signed the foregoing certificates is now & was when he made and signed said certificates an acting __ Justice of the Peace in and for said county of Taylor duly commissioned and qualified and that the signature to said certificates peerposting to be said Hull is genune, in writing of which I hereto set my hand & affix the seal of my office this 22nd day of July 1854 A. Armstrong CLK."

"County of Monongalia
State of Virginia }ss;

I, Marshall M. Dent, Clerk of the County Court in and for the County & State aforesaid do herby certify that it appears from from the records of my office that Stephen Watkins and Sarak Miller were married on the 26th day of June 1804, by Robert Manley a minister of the gospel. Given under my hand & seal of said court this 27th day of July 1854.

Marshall M. Dent"

"At a County Court held in and for Monongalia County, Virginia

On the 28th day of March 1838, this day it was proven tothe State faction of the Court that Stephen Watkins, late of this County, who was a pensioner of the United States, for services rendered in the war of the Revolution, died in the county onthe 12th day of February last past; and it was further proven tothe satisfaction of the Court, that Sarah Watkins is the widow of the said Stephen Watkins decd. and is now a resident of this county.
A Copy Tests
Marshall M. Dent Clerk"

"County of Monongalia
State of Virginia}ss

I, Marshall M. Dent, Clerk of the County Court in and for the County aforesaid, do hereby certify that the foregoing order is a true copy from the proceedings of said Court as kept by the Clerk in the order book thereof, at the March Term thereof 1838. Given under my hand & the Seal of said Court this 27th Day of July 1854.
Marshall M. Dent

Fee 1.14
paid M. M. D."

"State of Virginia
County of Taylor}ss
On this 28th Day of July 1854 personally appeared before me, David Baker, a Justice of the peace in ___ for the County and State aforesaid David Kinkaid a resident of said county & to me well known as a accountable which who after being duly sworn by me doth say that he was acquainted with Stephen Watkins decd. a resident of Monongalia County Va. who I have always understood was a revolutionary soldier & _____ a pension for a good many years before his death & I am also acquainted with his widow Sarah Watkins, who is now & has been for several years a resident of Taylor County & who is now very old & inform & I know she is still living and remained the widow of said Stephen Watkins decd. I formerly lived in Monongalia County within three miles of the said Stephen Watkins & the Sarah Watkins ____ _____ times within three miles of my residence & i further certify that I am not interested or concerned in the _____ in any way or ____ whatsoever in the result of this claim David Kinkaid <seal>"

Marriage Notes for STEPHEN WATKINS and SARAH WILSON:

May be her second marriage.

Page 5

June 25, 1804

Children of STEPHEN WATKINS and SARAH WILSON are:
2. i. JAMES2 WATKINS, b. Abt. 1802.
ii. FRANCES WATKINS, b. Abt. 1803.
3. iii. ARTHUR WATKINS, b. Abt. 1805.
4. iv. THOMAS WATKINS, b. Abt. 1808; d. 1893.
5. v. STEPHEN W. WATKINS, b. Abt. 1810.
6. vi. BRISSON GASAWAY WATKINS, b. Abt. 1812; d. February 27, 1864.
vii. HANNAH WATKINS, b. Abt. 1815.

Generation No. 2

2. JAMES2 WATKINS (STEPHEN1) was born Abt. 1802. He married SARY (SARAH) AMBROES November 03, 1828 in Monongalia, County, W.Va., daughter of JOHN AMBROES. She was born Abt. 1806.

Notes for JAMES WATKINS:
Married November 3, 1828, recorded on page 79 of "Marriage Bond Records, Monongalia County, (West) Virginia, 1796-1850", published by Jacob's Meadow, Route 3 Box 409, Fairmont, WV. 26554. She is the daughter of John Ambroes and the bondsman is Jacob Plum. The book records the Groom as James Walkins, but on page 184 puts in the correction of Watkins.

1850 Census Preston County

James Watkins 27?
Sarah 42
Hannah 22
Stephen 20
Sarah A. 19
Alcinda 17
Christenna 16
Debora 13
William 9
Nancy 7
Mary N. 6
James 3

1860 Census Preston County

James Watkins M 57
Sarah F 54
John E. R. M 21
William H. M 19
Nancy F 17
Mary A. F 15
James H. M 13
Amanda J. F 9

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: WATKINS, McELROY
Stephen Watkins, Rev. War Soldier, married (1st) Francis Warman. They had one known child before her death, one Joseph Hanslap Watkins, who was a soldier in the War of 1812. Joseph H. Watkins (same as above) married Margaret McElroy.

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: WATKINS, McELROY
Stephen Watkins, Rev. War Soldier, married (1st) Francis Warman. They had one known child before her death, a son, Joseph Hanslap Watkins, who was a soldier in the War of 1812. Joseph H. Watkins (same as above) married Margaret McElroy.

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 8:58PM GMT
Thank you for that piece of the puzzle. Do you have a date on Frances death? My problem is there are two Stephen Watkins One in Monongalia county and one in Tucker County I believe. Was hoping that the one in Tucker county was from previous marriage. Never have found any ties to Alice Woodard though, altohugh DAR records indicate it is so.
Yes, I believe Rev. War Stephen ties to Anne Arundle County Maryland Watkins but having looked at marriage data in the late 1770's indicates a lot of Watkins in the area. "Early Families of Southern Maryland" Volume 4 by Elise Greenup Jourdan (from Heritage Books) (www.HeritageBooks.com)looks to be a good jumping off point.

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 1:55PM GMT
If you will tell me where you connect to the Watkins line, I may be able to help you. I have this particular line back to 1635 in VA., and joined DAR through Stephen and Frances (Warman) Watkins. I don't know how to do research in the U.K., otherwise that would be done. The earliest known ancestor in my line is John Watkins (of which there are 4 descending John's) This particular John was in lower Norfolk Co., VA by 1635. He died testate in 1648, his will proved in 1649. John and his wife, Frances, had 1 known son, John, although the elder John's will mentions other children. After her husband's death, Frances married 2nd to John Lloyd by 1654. They removed from VA to Anne Arundel Co., MD.
I looked through my WATKINS research book, and didn't come across an Alice Woodward, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't be there. I don't have the spouse of every child listed from 1635 on down. Just the families pertinent to myself. Try researching the following website: http://home.netcom.comm/~fzsaund/watkins.html.
Again, let me know where your Watkins line begins, and give me the names, locations. I'll try to help.

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 8:36PM GMT
Hi, Thanks for the offer of help.
Start with Arthur son of Stephen and Sarah. Arthur is mentioned in pension records (W25852)for REV. War. Arthur is my 4G-dad.
Agreed Francis is first wife.
Alice we don’t know about…
Sarah from around VA 1804 Monongalia marriage record(not WV yet)

Married Francis 1784 in P.G. County
1790 Census shows 1 free white male upwards of 16 and up 3 free white man under age 16. 4 white female
Which poses my question when did Francis die?
If only known son is Jospeh, then possibly this is Alice& her family? (This assumes death in 1 to 3 years after marriage for Francis.(Also having Child Joseph)

Thanks for any help. Guess I really need to delve into Maryland records a lot more. There appears to be at least two Watkins lines in Maryland (Francis line around 1684 in and around Baltimore, And there is John' line started in the early 1700.

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: WATKINS, HANSLAP, MILLER, WILLETTS, WARMAN,
Stephen Watkins married Frances Hanslap Warman on 18 MAY 1784 in Prince George's Co., MD. Joseph Hanslap Watkins is the only child I know of from that marriage. I never have found a date of death for Frances.
Stephen Watkins m. 2nd to Alice Woodward/Woodard. I don't know of any children to that marriage. The best records are church records. Prince George's & Anne Arundel counties in MD to be more exact.
Stephen Watkins m. 3rd to Sarah Miller.
Because my Joseph H. was of age and already established w/famiy, I'm not surprised that he wasn't listed in the Pension papers. My thinking is that only the widow and minor children are listed since they received the Pension payment. Gassaway, one of the children listed is probably named for a gr-uncle, Gassaway Watkins who also served in the Rev. War, mustering out as a Captain. (Gassaway, Willetts and Hanslap are family names within this line of Watkins)
Several women have joined DAR on Stephen Watkins through his 3rd wife, Sarah Miller. I would be more than happy to request a copy of a full application. That might give more information for Stephen's descendants.
In the meantime, look up the following website: http://home.netcom/com/~fzsaund/watkins.html.
You really should have an easy time searching for the Stephen/Sarah family information. That was all I could find for several years, until I could finally prove Stephen's 1st marriage.

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 4:40PM GMT
I keep getting website not found. I've tried searching for it, but always get a bunch of earthlink websites and such.

Sarah Miller is the daughther of George Wilson when Stephen and her marry 25 June 1804 Monongalia County, (West) Virginia. Bondsman was Nimrod Evans. I suspect this is her second marriage as she is listed as Sarah Miller and not Sarah Wilson (Father's surname).

I also thought it stange that everyone that seemed to be related to John Watkins Family in the REV. War enlisted as officers and such while he is lowly private in Maryland Line.

Anyway thoughts?

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 2:57PM GMT
Hi,

That is my website that was referenced, but they must have tried typing the URL and did it incorrectly rather than doing a copy and paste. The correct URL is:
http://home.netcom.com/~fzsaund/watkins.html

Rick Saunders
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions