Search for content in message boards

Alvino Barela murder

Alvino Barela murder

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 4:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barela, Cooper
I am looking for any information regarding the murder of Alvino Barela, a sheep rancher from the Quemado area in about 1918. I am interested because it may be related to the murder of my great grandfather, Clay Cooper near Apache Creek on the NH Ranch in May 1918.

Alvino Barela of La Plata, New Mexico, son of Jose Herman Barela and Albina Montoya

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 4:13PM GMT
Is there any more information you have on this Alvino Barela. I have his brother's obit which mentions other Barela family members. Do you recognize any?

Barb

AngelNBarb@live.com

Birth: Nov. 16, 1914
Death: Oct. 13, 2006

Rufino A. Barela, 91, longtime resident of Aztec, passed away Friday, Oct. 13, 2006, after a sudden illness. He was born Nov. 16, 1914, in La Plata.

He was a ranch foreman for 26 years, served in the U.S. Army from 1942-1945 in the Anti-Aircraft Artillery as a gunner, and was a lifetime member of the VFW in Aztec.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Jose Herman Barela and Albina Montoya Barela; brothers, Alcario, Demetrio, Gorgonio and Alvino Barela; wife, Audry Nickerson Barela; and nephew Manuel Barela.

He is survived by his children, Ben Barela of Farmington, Adelita Barela of Aztec, Jean Cormier of Rhode Island, and Andrea (Montano) Barela of Albuquerque; and his first wife, Irene Andrea Luna.

Rosary will be prayed at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Aztec. Viewing will follow. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, with Father Joe Blonski as celebrant.
Interment will follow at Memory Gardens Cemetery in Farmington.
Pallbearers are Dominic Jacquez, Dion Clark, Johnny Barela, Leonard Barela, Charlie Barela and Johnny Barela.

Re: Alvino Barela murder

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: Cooper, Barela,
I know that he was murdered about 4-5 weeks before my great grandfather in the spring of 1918 in Catron County near the Reserve area and it was reported in the Socorro newspaper. We just moved, so I don't have any idea where my files are. He was a sheep rancher, I think, and the people charged with his murder were Juan and Ambrosio Carrejo, Candelario Chavez and another man whose name I can't remember at the moment.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions