Search for content in message boards

Carbery around Carrick-On-Suir or Waterford

Carbery around Carrick-On-Suir or Waterford

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 5:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carbery, Rockett, Carbery, Doyle, Egan
Looking for information on Martin Rockett and Bridget Carberry married sometime probably before 1831. Their daughter was Anastasia M. Rockett born about 1831.

Anastasia M. Rockett married James Egan in 1859, listed "Ballyneale and Grangemockler, Marriage 1839-1921". Patrick Doyle and Catherine Doyle were witnesses.

"In Waterford a Catholic church was built at the request of Mrs. Doyle on land donated by her. Mrs. Doyle was of the Carbery-Rockett family." Patrick and Catherine Doyle were probably relatives of Anastasia M. Rockett.

Re: Carbery around Carrick-On-Suir or Waterford

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 2:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carbery
Not sure if this is of any help:

I have a William Carbery (born abt 1813 in Carrick-on-Suir) and wife Bridget Doolan, born same place. They married around 1835, Carrick-on-Suir. I am thinking that perhaps William could be your Bridget's brother or at least a cousin? William & Bridget came over to Quebec, Canada between 1844-48. Daughters Margaret (b 1837) and Honora (b 1844) were born in Carrick-on-Suir while remaining children: Ellen (b1848); William (b1851); John (b1853); Bridget (1856) and Catherine Agnes (b1858) were all born in Quebec City.

This is a little interesting: Daughters Margaret and Bridget both married a Felix Carbray. Same man. Felix married late wife Margaret's sister, Bridget. Felix descends from a Neill John Carbray, son of Edward Carbery and Margaret O'Neill of Carrickcastle/Carrycastle, Parish of Eglish, Co. Tyrone. I descend directly from Neill John's brother, Terence. Now both Neill John and my Terence came to Quebec as well. Neill John married in Quebec as well in 1833 and his son Felix was born in Quebec. Interestingly enough, we have a Carbery from Co. Tyrone marrying a Carbery from Carrick-on-Suir. Carbery is not a common Irish name so what would be the odds of Felix marrying a Carbery who was not at all related to him? This leads me to believe that perhaps the Carberys of Carrick-on-Suir were somehow related to the Carberys of Co. Tyrone. Just for your info.

Anyway, perhaps the above William was indeed related to your Bridget - another part of the puzzle perhaps.

Lynn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions